The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

The more i read the more dis heartened I become. At face value sherwood did reasonably in a few months at Tottenham - closer examination  reveals he was sacked because the players were on the verge of revolt - and the day to day coaching was done by AN other - Even his work with Totenham youth seems to have been hands off. The first team coach he has appointed was sacked by Norwich and had a 15 game win less stint as manager of Barnet.

None of the above means he won't be a success at Aston Villa - It just makes it unlikely [iMO].

As for our overall structure - weve always had a first team coach and manager - and the DOF role seems more sports science orientated - nothing new there - the only 'new' thing is we haven't appointed such a 'green' management team before - lets hope that's a stroke of brilliance that's gone over my head....

Well I for one am glad he is here, I dont think the player revolt was down to Sherwood, the problems started at the beginning of thet season when Baldini bought a load of players AVB did not want. The club was a mess and Sherwood dropped a few of the Baldini signings bought back Adebayour and had a 50% win ration. In fact Spurs were only 3 points off their record premier league points tally, they struggled against the top 4 teams but most generally do. The football was way more attacking than under AVB, Levy likes to be in control at Spurs, he didnt fund Harry when Spurs were top 4 to kick on then sacked him. AVB was not happy with Baldini and got fired. To blame Spurs woes on Sherwood for that 12 month period after the Bale sale just isnt on. He may not be everyones cup of tea but I like what I see in Sherwood, he is very confident (a bit arrogant to boot) but he is what what we needed. Lambert had lost control towards the end, he was just going through the motions. I expect us to be more on the front foot against Stoke than we have been in a long time. Sherwood was obviously doing something right, if he was as bad as people made out Spurs would not have won 14 games under him.

• Like 1

The more i read the more dis heartened I become. At face value sherwood did reasonably in a few months at Tottenham - closer examination  reveals he was sacked because the players were on the verge of revolt - and the day to day coaching was done by AN other - Even his work with Totenham youth seems to have been hands off. The first team coach he has appointed was sacked by Norwich and had a 15 game win less stint as manager of Barnet.

None of the above means he won't be a success at Aston Villa - It just makes it unlikely [iMO].

As for our overall structure - weve always had a first team coach and manager - and the DOF role seems more sports science orientated - nothing new there - the only 'new' thing is we haven't appointed such a 'green' management team before - lets hope that's a stroke of brilliance that's gone over my head....

Well I for one am glad he is here, I dont think the player revolt was down to Sherwood, the problems started at the beginning of thet season when Baldini bought a load of players AVB did not want. The club was a mess and Sherwood dropped a few of the Baldini signings bought back Adebayour and had a 50% win ration. In fact Spurs were only 3 points off their record premier league points tally, they struggled against the top 4 teams but most generally do. The football was way more attacking than under AVB, Levy likes to be in control at Spurs, he didnt fund Harry when Spurs were top 4 to kick on then sacked him. AVB was not happy with Baldini and got fired. To blame Spurs woes on Sherwood for that 12 month period after the Bale sale just isnt on. He may not be everyones cup of tea but I like what I see in Sherwood, he is very confident (a bit arrogant to boot) but he is what what we needed. Lambert had lost control towards the end, he was just going through the motions. I expect us to be more on the front foot against Stoke than we have been in a long time. Sherwood was obviously doing something right, if he was as bad as people made out Spurs would not have won 14 games under him.

When was the last time we won 14 games in the same season?

As usual, it's the day before a Villa game and I'm getting slightly uncomfortable sensations in my stomach.

These are a bit different this week, though. I'd got used to the heavy, leaden feeling of dread. This is definitely  different. It isn't confidence, not even hope, really, it's.... hang on, I recognise it from the dim recesses of time... excitement, that's it!

Ok, I'll take that for now.

Probably the last time we had a squad anywhere near the standard of Spurs' squad last season.

Edited by Stevo985

Probably the last time we had a squad anywhere near the standard of Spurs' squad last season.

Yeah probably when the midfield consited of Milner,Barry,Petrov,Downing and Young.

Yeah probably when the midfield consited of Milner,Barry,Petrov,Downing and Young.

Those were the days.

There's nothing wrong worth being wary IMO. Sherwood doesn't automatically warrant anyone's blind faith or their derision. Watch and wait and see how the pudding tastes.

chocolately with a hint of lemon.

I would have said fruity, but to each their own!

We never had that midfield all at once did we?

Didn't Downing effectively replace Barry?

• Like 1

Something about this feels temporary.

Do you mean the three year contract ?

Lambert was handed a three year contract just this year.

I'm not the only one who seems to feel that he won't be here a long time. But with me it isn't really based on any sound logic like the idea that he might fall out with the players or do so badly that we have to sack him.

I wouldn't take any notice of my feelings anyway, they're usually wrong.

Edited by useless

I didnt want TS, but we have him and we should support him. At the end of the day I wanted Pl, and look how that turned out. Im nit going to worry, or moan about the appointment. He'll get the chance to prove me wrong - and I hope he does.

I hope everyone has this attitude at the moment.
I don't think he should have to prove anybody to be "wrong" about his appointment

Well he clearly does, DK for one.

I mean your comment about hoping everybody has that attitude, I'd rather not have everybody thinking Sherwood is going to fail but hoping he proves them wrong. I'd rather just see what happens, none of us know how this is going to go.

TBH, I read DK's comment as giving him the benefit of the doubt, hoping him for to do well and to prove him wrong for not wanting him. I believe that at the very least is what everyone should be thinking. We need to be behind him and the team 100% even if he wasn't some peoples first choice.

Correct.

• Like 1

Something about this feels temporary.

Do you mean the three year contract ?

Lambert was handed a three year contract just this year.

I'm not the only one who seems to feel that he won't be here a long time. But with me it isn't really based on any sound logic like the idea that he might fall out with the players or do so badly that we have to sack him.

I wouldn't take any notice of my feelings anyway, they're usually wrong.

Aww babes. Dem feels.

We had Barry, Petrov, Milner, Young and then Milner, Petrov, Young, Downing

And we still  moaned then!  :)

What I would give to have a top 6 squad nowadays 

I've got a feeling of great confidence about tomorrows game but trying to check it a little bit and not expect miracles! We've had an abysmal season and I shouldn't expect it to change overnight and win comfortably tomorrow.... I'll take a scrappy 1-0 instead!

I just hope if it doesn't go to plan tomorrow, people don't get on the back of the manager so early into his reign. Yes, Sherwood is a huge risk, but i like everything he has said so far. He's optimistic, confident and has a positive demeanour... the complete opposite of how Lambert came across. I like the fact Sherwood bigged up Benteke... hopefully that will give him a boost to pull his finger out of his arse and play well.

Ultimately, survival is the key thing this year and I'd take that now. I'd love to go on a run and shoot up the table but i shouldn't be too greedy. I felt we were doomed under Lambert after the Hull game and I'm pleased the club pulled the trigger. I can see light at the end of this very long tunnel now

UTV!

• Like 2

We had Barry, Petrov, Milner, Young and then Milner, Petrov, Young, Downing

And we still  moaned then!  :)

What I would give to have a top 6 squad nowadays 

There is an argument to be made that that team under-achieved. A lot of people blame the signing of Heskey for the season before, but in truth O'Neill got a *little* bit unlucky with how things panned out. If that second side had a Martin Laursen instead of one of Dunne or Collins (as well as they did) and if Carew hadn't started tailing off by that season (Reading hat trick aside) we might have nipped into the champions league. If Barry had stayed and formed a three with Milner and Petrov perhaps...

I think we were a lot closer back then than people remember. O'Neill wasted a LOT of money on dross too. The game has changed a *touch* more since then, it has gotten harder, but I still genuinely believe that it can be done again. Spurs are perennially close, they underachieve if anything. Everton have had a recent sniff. Southampton will finish there or thereabouts I think. All it takes sometimes is that little bit of luck along the way and you can change the course of your clubs future. 

I think we are due some of that. Instead of Champions League my current aims are a little less ambitious, let's finish 12th...

• Like 3

Â