The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Looking forward to seeing how it goes with Sherwood at the helm. I'm actually excited by the development, something which I haven't felt for years as a Villa fan!

I'd be a little more excited if our status in the league wasn't on the line.

We'd have gone down under Lambert (IMO). I think we have a far better chance of staying up now, in fact I am convinced we will be fine.  :)

I don't think our chances have changed at all, for staying or going.

They've changed from being a certainty to unknown. We have a chance instead of sleeping walking into relegation we will at least scrap to stay up now.

I think Lambert would have kept us up and I expect Sherwood to follow in his footsteps, hopefully we can win the FA Cup too, get taken over in the summer and Sherwood can proves he's a great Manager under better conditions.

• Like 1

I don't understand all these questions on his experience, how many were happy enough to give Petrov, Laursen or Mellberg the job?

Any one in any job has to start somewhere and no matter the task at hand, if an individual displays certain characteristics to get the job done, which I think he does, then they deserve the opportunity to prove it. He has had a good playing career as well as building a good coaching reputation and we have a lot of players who will benefit from that.

Let's be realistic, we were heading only one way and if that's the same direction we head with Sherwood at the helm then at least we might do it with some fight.

Edited by Tubby

I'm kind of happy with have someone having some ego. I'm fed up up our managers being soft, we need the team in general to show some grit & fight to have the right to be in the team. Too many of our squad get a free ride.

I'm glad we have someone who isn't afriad to tell a player that

• Like 4

To be fair, I think his first 6 games (if you include tomorrow) give him a decent stab at having a good start - they are all "winnable", but obviously "there's no easy games".

I reckon he probably thinks he thinks he can win the against Leicester and then win 3 of the next 5 league games. I think he has that level of confidence, and I don't think he would have took the job if he felt otherwise. However, if he doesn't get 3 wins from the next 5, then I think we might be in trouble, as the next 7 games before Burnley on the last day look a bit tasty...

Not sure how I feel about this, was one of those who lobbied for lambert and admit i thought he needed to go at the beginning of the season.

Not sure this is what we needed, it's one of those where we might as well stuck with lambert as for all sherwoods potential he is not proven in this environment, I would have personally gone with an experienced manager on a short term contract and reassessed in summer or a number 2 to take the pressure of lambert, see where we are at the end of season and get a manager suited to the situation (promotion push or get up the table).

That being said I as usual will get behind the team and hope for that "new manager syndrome" of us getting some valuable points onboard and getting safe. We have some winnable fixtures coming up and could go on a little run. I just worry that if we don't get that it could be to late for this team and sadly will drop out of the league.

I think the nucleus of a good team is there, hopefully sherwood has the man management skills to get the best out of them (I don't know him well enough to judge and don't think the stint as spurs boss gave any evidence) and I will say he was the type of player who you would have said had potential for management. Tactically I am not sure but as before never really paid much attention to spurs when he was there.

It's a gamble and we are due some luck.

UTV

Interesting interview on football focus.

Tottenham: Tim Sherwood will show players who is boss

Use accessible player and disable flyout menus
Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Tottenham head coach Tim Sherwood tells Football Focus that players need "honesty" and to know "who is boss" in order to respect their manager.

Sherwood, 44, replaced Andre Villas-Boas in December and was given a contract until the end of the 2014-15 Premier League season.

The former England midfielder says it is a "pleasure and a privilege" to manage the club and added that he's "convinced" he can do the job.

• Like 1

If he wins against Stoke, he'll have a 100% win ratio.

Good maths.
And proves my point.
Not really Stefan, your point was basically 'saying 60% win percentage isn't the whole story'. You responded with an equally blinded point of 'that's stat manipulation'...which, guess what, didn't tell the whole story either.

If we had to fully explain every sentence we posted on here, it'd be a very boring forum indeed.

I don't understand all these questions on his experience, how many were happy enough to give Petrov, Laursen or Mellberg the job?

Any one in any job has to start somewhere and no matter the task at hand, if an individual displays certain characteristics to get the job done, which I think he does, then they deserve the opportunity to prove it. He has had a good playing career as well as building a good coaching reputation and we have a lot of players who will benefit from that.

Let's be realistic, we were heading only one way and if that's the same direction we head with Sherwood at the helm then at least we might do it with some fight.

I think the experience thing is a question mark on sherwood compaired to if it had bèn Petrov, Laursen or mellberg purely because what they lack in experience they make up for with ties/history and passion for the club, not saying that is right or wrong but that's how I see it.

I look forward to all these posters saying they are glad Tim tells it how it is and he will give the players a kick up the arse complaining in a few months time that he is dragging our name through the mud and embarrassing himself.

Because it will happen. Maybe not in the next 13 games. But it will happen. Just like Di Canio it will happen. Sunderland fans loved it at first. But when the honeymoon period is over and the wheels come off he has a personality that will only exacerbate the situation.

• Like 2

Hopefully he will give Grealish a fair crack and get us playing without fear. But what really scares me is simply his lack of experience. Presumably that's why we are busy trying to get a DoF so they can do all the transfer negotiations etc. 

Looks to me that Sherwood needs to be a coach first and foremost.

Â