Christmas '14

maqroll

Told my gf she doesn't need to spend much on me this year while I've secretly bought her an engagement ring, i suppose at least if she turns me down i can return it!

I definitely don't want to know how much you earn but what ratio of their monthly salary do guys think is about right, when buying a ring, these days?

(not personal at you Mr Vanilla) but I hate this "how much did you spend on your engagement ring 'tradition'. If ever there was a thing that should not be measured by how much money you spend it is a ring of engagement.

• Like 1

Inlaws coming for Xmas.

Mother in law has been a real bitch to my wife (her daughter) and her elder sister has been pretty much just as bad.

They really dont want to come and really dont want them to.

As the song goes "There could be trouble ahead............"

As my wife will be 8 1/2 months pregnant, we've decided to give ourselves an easy Christmas by going to the in-laws for Xmas day and my wife's birthday (on boxing day).

Beef off the rib, mmmm, my mother in law is a fantastic cook, really looking forward to it. :)

Told my gf she doesn't need to spend much on me this year while I've secretly bought her an engagement ring, i suppose at least if she turns me down i can return it!

I definitely don't want to know how much you earn but what ratio of their monthly salary do guys think is about right, when buying a ring, these days?

(not personal at you Mr Vanilla) but I hate this "how much did you spend on your engagement ring 'tradition'. If ever there was a thing that should not be measured by how much money you spend it is a ring of engagement.

I was told "3 months salary", "at least a grand" etc...

I got a lovely £650 ring and got it knocked down to £550. She loved it. No need to go mega expensive but I'd advise against mega cheap too. If she says "how much was it"? or " it isnt as big as my bestie's" or doesn't like it then tell her to piss off and **** her off as she isn't worth it.

• Like 2

Inlaws coming for Xmas.

Mother in law has been a real bitch to my wife (her daughter) and her elder sister has been pretty much just as bad.

Indeed! I'm surprised you are letting them through the door unless you think there will be a reconciliation?

Inlaws coming for Xmas.

Indeed! I'm surprised you are letting them through the door unless you think there will be a reconciliation?

Yeah.

If my inlaws treated my missus like shit they'd be **** off good and proper

Inlaws coming for Xmas.

Are the mice throwing themselves on the mousetraps?

It is always a reliable sign!

(with apologies to Les Dawson)

The trouble with using alcohol as anti-relatives anaesthetic is that it loosens your tongue, and ultimately increases the likelihood of a barney.

The only time I've ever spiked anyone with anything was at an extended family Christmas bash.

A sprinkle of Moroccan in the stuffing made for an interesting afternoon and evening.

No one felt the need to scuttle off after dinner, everyone stayed at the table. Lots of laughing, no rows.

It was two decades ago, but my sis and I look back on it wistfully as the best family Christmas ever.

• Like 4

You can have a barney with a mate and next day its pretty much forgotten but have a barney with a family member and it can cause a split thats never forgotten.

I will be on my best behaviour as its her family not mine but there will be a time and a place and I will make sure that the tables are evened up.

Had my team Xmas meal last night... to be fair it was a cracking night. Food was superb and the venue was very good (Highfield gastro pub in Edgbaston). Worth paying the extra for higher quality surroundings.

http://www.highfieldedgbaston.co.uk/

What did you have?

Butternut squash for starter, was ok, but on reflection should have had the fish board for 1 as it was much more substantial!

Turkey for main - was lovely. A fair chunk of it as well

White chocolate cheesecake for dessert. 

Few mugs of mulled wine, couple of beers and too many Jameson's!

Â