Christmas '14

maqroll

Net spend is misleading.

Somebody has paid CED £80m for his collection of feminist literature so in actual fact, he's spent over £80m on wine and hob nobs.

And he still hasn't won the league

CED OUT!

• Like 3

Net spend is misleading.

Somebody has paid CED £80m for his collection of feminist literature so in actual fact, he's spent over £80m on wine and hob nobs.

And he still hasn't won the league

CED OUT!

Surely the net spend should be based on how much you spend and how much you get back?

Many people will be net gainers not losers.

I'm predicting a net loss of £850 for me. Similar figure every year. I buy for 12 people and get 4 gifts in return.

It's a loss only in financial terms though. I don't see much of my family during the year so I like to treat them at Christmas. Without wanting to sound too much like a sap, the enjoyment my nieces and nephews get from their presents (and the resulting confirmation that I am number 1 uncle) is more than worth the spend.

• Like 3

I'm predicting a net loss of £850 for me. Similar figure every year. I buy for 12 people and get 4 gifts in return.

It's a loss only in financial terms though. I don't see much of my family during the year so I like to treat them at Christmas. Without wanting to sound too much like a sap, the enjoyment my nieces and nephews get from their presents (and the resulting confirmation that I am number 1 uncle) is more than worth the spend.

I expect a net loss of about £200.

Surely there must be some VTers who expect to receive more than they spend?

A lot of young people seem to have fixed ideas about which direction money should flow as regards themselves and their relatives.  :)

Surely there must be some VTers who expect to receive more than they spend?

A lot of young people seem to have fixed ideas about which direction money should flow as regards themselves and their relatives.  :)

I'd expect that as a general rule, those VTers under 25 will receive more than they spend and those over that age (especially those of us that are significantly over that age) will be the opposite.

Not sure if 25 is quite the right break-point but you get my drift.

• Like 1

So far I've spent:

€88 on my brother.

€230 on my girlfriend with Taylor Swift tickets pending should push it up to €300.

With my mom & dad to buy for. 

Spend will be roughly €620.

Projected net spend €250-300.

Told my gf she doesn't need to spend much on me this year while I've secretly bought her an engagement ring, i suppose at least if she turns me down i can return it!

I definitely don't want to know how much you earn but what ratio of their monthly salary do guys think is about right, when buying a ring, these days?

Told my gf she doesn't need to spend much on me this year while I've secretly bought her an engagement ring, i suppose at least if she turns me down i can return it!

I definitely don't want to know how much you earn but what ratio of their monthly salary do guys think is about right, when buying a ring, these days?

I won't tell you what i earn but I've spent about 125% of a weeks wage, I've no idea what is generally an acceptable amount to spend on an engagement ring tbh i just got one i hope she likes.

Tbh actually i don't care if she likes it aslong as she says yes cause i haven't bought her anything else lol.

• Like 1

I'd agreed with mine that we were going to curtail our profligate spending this year. Limit £100 each. She proudly told me she'd done hers and kept to the budget then told me which laptop she wants me to buy her for Christmas. Golddigga!  :angry:  :angry:

• Like 1

I'd agreed with mine that we were going to curtail our profligate spending this year. Limit £100 each. She proudly told me she'd done hers and kept to the budget then told me which laptop she wants me to buy her for Christmas. Golddigga! :angry::angry:

Get her a tablet they're almost the same :P

1. Remove mince pie lid

2. Squirt in a load of root beer syrup

3. Enjoy

Wrong!

1. Set mince pie to sail on a sea of ambrosia custard

2. Remove mince pie lid

3. Dollop of brandy butter

4. Replace lid

5. Wait 2 minutes until brandy butter melts

6. Remove lid

7. Add one scoop vanilla ice cream