Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

The Gresford thread keeps getting bumped to the top.

spacer.png

I nearly posted this exactly. I keep seeing it at the top and....nope. It's done, not interested, and I don't want to see his face.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, choffer said:

Not knocking him as I know he’s Villa (and all it really shows is I got old and out of touch) but if I’d paid whatever it costs now to go to Reading Festival and I saw a couple of blokes walking around a stage while someone played a cd, I’d be a bit disappointed. Is this normal these days?

These acts would have been mercilessly pelted with plastic bottles by the Reading crowd up to about 10 years ago.  The festival was notorious for it but judging by the lineups they're after a completely different audience these days.

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

These acts would have been mercilessly pelted with plastic bottles by the Reading crowd up to about 10 years ago.  The festival was notorious for it but judging by the lineups they're after a completely different audience these days.

Good read

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bottling_incidents_by_year

Steel Pulse were heavily bottled by fans waiting for punk rock group The Stranglers' act at the Reading Festival in 1983, starting the festival's trend

In 1989 a very young Texas were opening for Simple Minds in Cardiff Arms Park. The band temporarily halted the show due to being continually pelted by a sea of plastic bottles. Lead singer Sharleen Spiteri angrily chastised the crowd who stopped throwing in response: "Do you think it is alright to throw bottles at a wee lassie up here on stage?" at which point a lone bottle was thrown, it arched through the air towards the band and as was clearly seen on the large stage monitors hit Spiteri directly on the head. A huge cheer went up and a deluge of bottles followed, not letting up until Spiteri and Texas had stormed off stage.[

4 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I was there for Good Charlotte in 03 and The Rasmus and 50 Cent in 04, the latter was particularly amusing.

Didn't throw any bottles myself as none of the acts warranted me being close enough and I'm a shit throw.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I was there for Good Charlotte in 03 and The Rasmus and 50 Cent in 04, the latter was particularly amusing.

Didn't throw any bottles myself as none of the acts warranted me being close enough and I'm a shit throw.

I was there those years too.  Didn't see Good Charlotte at all, but caught the 50 Cent one.  Someone threw a deckchair at him :D  I think he picked it up and said "come on, give me a **** chance!"

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I was there those years too.  Didn't see Good Charlotte at all, but caught the 50 Cent one.  Someone threw a deckchair at him :D  I think he picked it up and said "come on, give me a **** chance!"

Also when he finally gave it up a few songs in he threw his mic into the crowd and hit some guy square on the nose.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Not knocking him as I know he’s Villa (and all it really shows is I got old and out of touch) but if I’d paid whatever it costs now to go to Reading Festival and I saw a couple of blokes walking around a stage while someone played a cd, I’d be a bit disappointed. Is this normal these days?

Bet you hate ripped jeans too 😉

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Was it Daphne and Celeste mercilessly destroyed at Reading one year? 

Not surprised their Nationwide BS adverts were rubbish, didn't think they would stretch to a big stage. 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Yeah, they put them on directly before Slipknot 😂

Surprised Slipknot were there tbh! That's more my kind of music, and I wouldn't even give Reading or Leeds a look (I recognise 2-3 names from this year's lineup),m I can't imagine that there's much crossover between Slipknot fans and most of the rest of Reading/Leeds...

Download has gone a bit soft as well. Biffy **** Clyro, Kiss, and Maiden (again) headlining next year. Yeesh. Andf the **** Darkness and Steel Panther as leads on the second stage. 

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I watched some of Reading and the audience looked so young that they've probably not even been to gig before because of covid, let alone a festival.  Just had no idea how to (mis)behave!

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Surprised Slipknot were there tbh! That's more my kind of music, and I wouldn't even give Reading or Leeds a look (I recognise 2-3 names from this year's lineup),m I can't imagine that there's much crossover between Slipknot fans and most of the rest of Reading/Leeds...

Download has gone a bit soft as well. Biffy **** Clyro, Kiss, and Maiden (again) headlining next year. Yeesh. Andf the **** Darkness and Steel Panther as leads on the second stage. 

Reading/Leeds back in the day was absolute class.  Was usually a mix across all 'rock' genres but with a dance tent (that had some pretty good acts on) and comedy tent.

Just checked this years' lineup... NOPE.

Just now, bobzy said:

Reading/Leeds back in the day was absolute class.  Was usually a mix across all 'rock' genres but with a dance tent (that had some pretty good acts on) and comedy tent.

I went early to several in the early 90s but stopped in 1995.

obviously 1992 was epic with Nirvana but personal fave was 1994 (Beck, Pavement, Primal Scream, Soundgarden, Pulp and Chili Peppers amongst many others) 

30 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Nah Reading used to be a predominately metal, punk, indie, alternative/hard rock festival.  These two lineups (my first two festivals) were phenomenal...

reading festival 2002 the last one i went to, great memory's but the time  comes when we all have to grow up. | Reading festival, Concert posters,  FestivalAbsolute Radio on Twitter: "As it's Reading and Leeds festival weekend,  thought I'd share this poster from 2000. Bonkers lineup! Were you there?  What's the best band you've ever seen at Reading

*2002 was where the Dillinger Escape plan opened the main stage on the Sunday and the frontman defecated in a plastic bag and chucked it in the crowd.

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Woeful although interesting to note that they had booked RATM for the eventually cancelled 2020 festival.  Would have got a day ticket for that.

54 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Was it Daphne and Celeste mercilessly destroyed at Reading one year? 

edit - yes it was! 

Yeah, it got really ugly.

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

Â