Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

29 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm working in Manchester all this week, commuting. I really don't get why people keep crashing on the M6. I think someone has done it every day this week between Stoke and Manchester, all early morning too, wake up Mofos!!

They've all been avin it laaaarge the night before probably.   It's compulsory I understand. 

19 hours ago, bickster said:

I hate to bring this up but...

Visit Lancashire

:trollface:

Horsesh*t. 

A lot of the lore was written many years before WW2. Indeed "The Shire" was named in the Hobbit which was published in 1937 so many years before he went to Stoneyhurst. Far more likely that the English countryside generally inspired his writing along with the general development of language. Indeed, his time in on Cannock Chase during WW1 could be argued to be more of an influence as the "nature" elements of LOTR/Middle Earth than this location. 

And this isn't anywhere near Manchester; it's the other side of Blackburn.

Also on the music side of things, that list is a lot of band, but only Joy Division are any good. 

Sorry, i have very little time for Manchester and hate how it assumes it is the best place ever. 

/rant. 

1 minute ago, cyrusr said:

Horsesh*t. 

A lot of the lore was written many years before WW2. Indeed "The Shire" was named in the Hobbit which was published in 1937 so many years before he went to Stoneyhurst. Far more likely that the English countryside generally inspired his writing along with the general development of language. Indeed, his time in on Cannock Chase during WW1 could be argued to be more of an influence as the "nature" elements of LOTR/Middle Earth than this location. 

And this isn't anywhere near Manchester; it's the other side of Blackburn.

Also on the music side of things, that list is a lot of band, but only Joy Division are any good. 

Sorry, i have very little time for Manchester and hate how it assumes it is the best place ever. 

/rant. 

Nothern Lancashire Mill Towns are all Manchester to some, hell, some people were trying to claim West Brom for Birmingham yesterday just to win a punnet of internets :mrgreen: 

I find the whole Manchester / Birmingham comparisons a bit stupid yet hilarious and can't actually take any such discussion seriously (hence my inclusion of The Monkees)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

good points on the LOTR stuff, but I have to take exception to this, Joy Division were not the only good group on the list, and on the other hand we were being told Birmingham is great because Duran Duran sold 100m records yesterday, so.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nothern Lancashire Mill Towns are all Manchester to some, hell, some people were trying to claim West Brom for Birmingham yesterday just to win a punnet of internets :mrgreen: 

I find the whole Manchester / Birmingham comparisons a bit stupid yet hilarious and can't actually take any such discussion seriously (hence my inclusion of The Monkees)

It's all about winning the internet!

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47bg3eeh277r5ojhqpje

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

good points on the LOTR stuff, but I have to take exception to this, Joy Division were not the only good group on the list, and on the other hand we were being told Birmingham is great because Duran Duran sold 100m records yesterday, so.

Joy Division was just the personal preference. I'll give you The Fall for sure but still can't stick The Smiths or Oasis (and most of the rest of the list). 

Duran Duran though are terrible I concur. Not sure my musical tastes are representative of the majority though*

*not complaining. Everyone else is wrong 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Joy Division was just the personal preference. I'll give you The Fall for sure but still can't stick The Smiths or Oasis (and most of the rest of the list). 

Duran Duran though are terrible I concur. Not sure my musical tastes are representative of the majority though*

*not complaining. Everyone else is wrong 

I picked the acts from a mental list or large selling artists not any personal taste

I mean SImply Red would only appear in a list of people to assassinate in my world (despite their origins not being that bad - Frantic Elevators / The Mothmen)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Christ alive! There's some relics there...rotting Pug 205 and Fiat Panda in the next front garden. The old S-Class is nice. Back when Mercs weren't built to a price point. 

Reminds me of two vauxhall carltons parked (squeezed, more like) on the tiny front drive of a terraced house on jockey Road Sutton. They have been there for years and years mould/mildew around the window seals and looking in poor state. I often wonder if the house is occupied, who by and if those cars are a restore project (doubtful).

Screenshot_20210917-151840_Earth.jpg

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Point Blur_Sep172021_170727.jpg

She wouldn't be saying that if she lived by me. Some old fella is "learning" the bagpipes and has been since the first lockdown

He can't hold a note, he certainly can't play something that resembles a tune and he hasn't got audibly better in 18 months

It's ****ing horendous

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

She wouldn't be saying that if she lived by me. Some old fella is "learning" the bagpipes and has been since the first lockdown

He can't hold a note, he certainly can't play something that resembles a tune and he hasn't got audibly better in 18 months

It's ****ing horendous

Something like this? :crylaugh:

Why have ALL car manufacturers decided to start putting the model identifier in the middle rear of the car. 

I don't know why but I think it looks cheap and nasty, yet pretty much every manufacturer has decided to do it and all at the same time.  Weird. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Car naming peaked with the Mazda Bongo Friendee.

Anything after that was always going to be a slight disappointment. 

Moving where they stick the name is the last resort of the people that didn’t think of the Mazda Bongo Friendee.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why have ALL car manufacturers decided to start putting the model identifier in the middle rear of the car. 

I don't know why but I think it looks cheap and nasty, yet pretty much every manu9has decided to do it and all at the same time.  Weird. 

My theory is that Ford and Toyota started it with their serious 4x4s by incorporating large badging in to the grill at the front end, designer got a bonus because it looked great and the irk responsible for the rear badging got a rollocking. 

exhibit 1, boring tiny Ford logo

Image result for ford raptor gif

Exhibit 2, BADASS TRUCK

Image result for Ford F 250 Raptor

It just doesn't work at the rear and it looks tacky.

Don't even get me started on C pillar design on modern day crossovers and hatchbacks.

Â