Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

39 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Almost every video I watch on YouTube now seems to be sponsored by a company telling me to shave my balls. Why is this so prevalent and why do people want to look prepubescent. 

I had to do this when preparing for my operation a few years ago. I had trimmed my spuds a few times with a razor but my gut got in the way of my vision, so I used a cream called Nads. Worked a treat but stinks.

Nothing beats the feeling of a silky sack against my boxers, or bedsheets.

Once it starts to grow back though.....

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

We've discussed this before. The people who live in the satellite towns around Manchester, mostly seem keen to align themselves to the 'Manchester brand', while those in the Black Country fiercely reject any suggestion that they are anything to do with Birmingham. 

Exactly that. A guy from Oldham used to work at our place. He's always say he was from Manchester though and loved the association with it. Like you say, ask someone from Walsall and they'd furiously deny any link to Birmingham.

Mancs are the masters of self promotion. 

53 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Almost every video I watch on YouTube now seems to be sponsored by a company telling me to shave my balls. Why is this so prevalent and why do people want to look prepubescent. 

Manscape? They seem to have cornered the area of YouTube I frequent. They sponsor all manner of automotive Youtuber's videos. Listen pal, I clicked because I want to watch a video on a Lotus Carlton, not have you discussing how bushy my spuds are. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Could you imagine if Tolkien grew up in Manchester?  Hardly anybody even knows he grew up in Brum.

I hate to bring this up but...

The Tolkien Trail - in the Footsteps of J.R.R. Tolkien

Many areas in the UK claim to have inspired J.R.R Tolkien creation of middle earth but the author certainly spent a lot of his time at Stonyhurst College working on The Lord of the Rings during the Second World War.

Many have found connections with this landscape around the college and the 5.5 mile Tolkien Trail explores the Ribble Valley that may have inspired him.

J.R.R. Tolkien was renowned for his love of nature and wooded landscapes and the countryside around Stonyhurst is richly beautiful. A number of names which occur in 'The Lord of The Rings' are similar to those found locally including Shire Lane (in Hurst Green) and River Shirebourn (similar to the family name which built Stonyhurst).

Visit Lancashire

:trollface:

• Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Manscape? They seem to have cornered the area of YouTube I frequent. They sponsor all manner of automotive Youtuber's videos. Listen pal, I clicked because I want to watch a video on a Lotus Carlton, not have you discussing how bushy my spuds are. 

That's the one. They're all over YouTube. Spotting them on all sorts of different channels. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The people who live in the satellite towns around Manchester, mostly seem keen to align themselves to the 'Manchester brand'

Not in my experience. Wiganers, Boltonians, Bury people and so on that I know most definitely don't identify or align their towns with Manchester - they are proud "Lancastrians", but differentiate completely from Mancs and Manchester. Maybe not to the extent that people from West Brom or Walsall do with Brum. I can't speak for the towns in Cheshire or to the East of Manchester as I don't really know many people from there, but Lancashire towns included in greater Manchester...actually the exceptions to that, thinking of it are people from Manchester originally, who moved to "not Manchester" - there's a couple of them I know who imply that their homes are basically still in Manchester "it's just a technicality".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The lead singer of the band is from Manchester. He even appeared in Coronation St FFS and you don''t get more Manc than that. He was on the same Ed Sullivan Show as the B**tles, next you'll be telling me the B**tles aren't from Liverpool :trollface:

Just because 1 member was from Manchester doesn't make them a Manchester band.  They're and American band formed in Los Angeles and 3/4 of the band are Americans.  I'm not having Manchester claim them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The lead singer of the band is from Manchester. He even appeared in Coronation St FFS and you don''t get more Manc than that. He was on the same Ed Sullivan Show as the B**tles, next you'll be telling me the B**tles aren't from Liverpool :trollface:

Sorry, just spotted your troll😞

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Not the fastest car I've ever been in, but he fastest speed, my pal used to have one. 178mph down the old A38 before the toll road was built, Bassetts Pole to Asda Minworth, those were the days.

• Like 2

I don't know if VT has this facility but I read a forum about construction and building developments, obviously concentrating on the Brum threads.

Anyway, anytime anyone mentions Manchester on there there is a sudden deluge of Mancs hitting the forum picking arguments.  I had assumed that they were constantly scanning the Brum and presumably other forums searching for mentions, but it turns out you can set keyword alerts so you are notified everytime anyone writes "Manchester"

So now people on there just say "that city up north" or similar to hold back the invasion, although I think some have got wise to that now and key phrase alert that too.  Need to be constantly evolving. 

They have got a collective chip on their shoulder. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't know if VT has this facility but I read a forum about construction and building developments, obviously concentrating on the Brum threads.

Anyway, anytime anyone mentions Manchester on there there is a sudden deluge of Mancs hitting the forum picking arguments.  I had assumed that they were constantly scanning the Brum and presumably other forums searching for mentions, but it turns out you can set keyword alerts so you are notified everytime anyone writes "Manchester"

So now people on there just say "that city up north" or similar to hold back the invasion, although I think some have got wise to that now and key phrase alert that too.  Need to be constantly evolving. 

They have got a collective chip on their shoulder. 

I have read on topic, it's not just northerners with chips on their shoulder. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not the fastest car I've ever been in, but he fastest speed, my pal used to have one. 178mph down the old A38 before the toll road was built, Bassetts Pole to Asda Minworth, those were the days.

It wasn't the infamous 40RA was it? 

On November 26th, 1993, a Lotus Carlton was reported stolen from a home in the West Midlands with the plates 40RA. In the following months, a gang of thieves used the car to conduct ram raids between 12am and 5am stealing around 20,000 GBP worth of liquor and cigarettes. A local police officer, David Oliver said, "We simply haven't been able to get near the thing and it looks unlikely that we ever will". This is because the local police cars could only barley hit 90mph while the Lotus Carlton almost doubled it. The ram raiders also hid their precious stolen Lotus Carlton during the day and no one could ever find it. Legend has it that the Lotus Carlton outran the West Midlands police helicopter up the M6 but no one has been able to confirm this claim. To this day no police reports have shown that the 40RA Carlton was ever recovered. Unfortunately this means that, the car is either at the bottom of a lake, crushed into a cube, or rotting in a barn somewhere.

https://drivetribe.com/p/the-legendary-car-that-evaded-the-JdEbEQTvRCamKpfd2nYdhA?iid=S-mJ7n7bRfixqyZuompnwA

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Naa, wasn't that one, I remember the story though. I also remember some women had a silver one in Sutton. Was sprayed obviously, as they were all Imperial green. There's another one which has been left to rot on a driveway off Slade road by Spaghetti Junction. Rare as rocking horse, think only 1000 were ever made.

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Not in my experience. Wiganers, Boltonians, Bury people and so on that I know most definitely don't identify or align their towns with Manchester - they are proud "Lancastrians", but differentiate completely from Mancs and Manchester. Maybe not to the extent that people from West Brom or Walsall do with Brum. I can't speak for the towns in Cheshire or to the East of Manchester as I don't really know many people from there, but Lancashire towns included in greater Manchester...actually the exceptions to that, thinking of it are people from Manchester originally, who moved to "not Manchester" - there's a couple of them I know who imply that their homes are basically still in Manchester "it's just a technicality".

Fair enough. I can only go by the ones I've met. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Naa, wasn't that one, I remember the story though. I also remember some women had a silver one in Sutton. Was sprayed obviously, as they were all Imperial green. There's another one which has been left to rot on a driveway off Slade road by Spaghetti Junction. Rare as rocking horse, think only 1000 were ever made.

Still there? There are 4 for sale on Pistonheads: £120k, £115k, £90k and £45k (needs restoring) 

Â