Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

8 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

List is totally incompete. It doesn't contain any of the early Jesus and Mary Chain gigs, especially the one in the Mandela Bar at Liverpool Uni, where the first person to throw a bottle was original Sisters of Mercy bassist Ben Gunn, who was a student on the ENts Ctte (the gigs promotors) at the time, that gig was reviewed for the NME (I think) and pretty much helped launch the band as it went from review to front page of the music papers news section

It also doesn't contain the very famous Beastie Boys riot at the Royal Court in Liverpool, ok the band started it but those weren't plastic bottles being thrown back at them, I have never seen such carnage at a gig before or after that gig

1 hour ago, bickster said:

How can you talk about the Daphne and Celeste bottling and not show it? For shits and giggles, here it is...

See, I watched that and it just made me feel sad. Why would organisers invite two young women who obviously don't make the sort of music the crowd want to watch to come and perform, knowing as they would that they would be pelted with bottles and booed? It just seems cruel to me.

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

See, I watched that and it just made me feel sad. Why would organisers invite two young women who obviously don't make the sort of music the crowd want to watch to come and perform, knowing as they would that they would be pelted with bottles and booed? It just seems cruel to me.

The bottling had become a tradition by then, much better to have the sacrificial lamb than risk it with another act.

You can see by the crowd they were all prepared for it. There's a group with a sign saying bollocks all ready made

I would imagine their live agent would have been fully aware of why they were booked and their management. They got more attention out of it by being the bottled band at Reading that year than if they'd been ignored.

17 hours ago, bobzy said:

Reading/Leeds back in the day was absolute class.  Was usually a mix across all 'rock' genres but with a dance tent (that had some pretty good acts on) and comedy tent.

Just checked this years' lineup... NOPE.

To be fair to them who else is there? There's a right dirge of potential headliners right now, wolf alice should have been bumped up and I'm surprised royal blood weren't there but other than that there's not a lot else kicking about 

The continuing reverence of Liam Gallagher says it all

26 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The bollocks sign probably refers to the chant that used to sweep the site in a wave that was a staple of Reading.

Bet the little Instagram runts don't do that any more either.

"Bollocks" and "Dave" :D 

• Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 16:57, Wainy316 said:

Nah Reading used to be a predominately metal, punk, indie, alternative/hard rock festival.  These two lineups (my first two festivals) were phenomenal...

reading festival 2002 the last one i went to, great memory's but the time  comes when we all have to grow up. | Reading festival, Concert posters,  FestivalAbsolute Radio on Twitter: "As it's Reading and Leeds festival weekend,  thought I'd share this poster from 2000. Bonkers lineup! Were you there?  What's the best band you've ever seen at Reading

* 2002 was where the Dillinger Escape plan opened the main stage on the Sunday and the frontman defecated in a plastic bag and chucked it in the crowd.

Just Googled that Dillinger Escape Plan story. Vaguely remember a mate telling me about it at the time and not believing him because he was always full of stories. Wow, 100% true. What a disgusting thing to do.

Amazing to think how far society has progressed that nowadays there would be about 500 videos of it, and loads and loads of explainers and reaction videos. But as it is, I can’t find it anywhere!

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

K Pop singers are really creepy. Do they have souls?

My daughter plays me a band called Stray Kids **** relentlessly. Turgid shite. She also watches a lot of k drama. I am slowly hating South Korea. 

You do get the impression with K pop that those careers are only going to last as long as it takes to get about another 2% reality out of robots.

As soon as robots can get in and out of a blacked out van as quick as a human whilst smiling and waving, those kids are history.

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

My wife has gotten massively into BTS nowadays, it's pretty much the main thing she watches or does online.

If ever you’re at a loose end with an hour to kill, say something mildly derogatory about BTS on twitter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, chrisp65 said:

If ever you’re at a loose end with an hour to kill, say something mildly derogatory about BTS on twitter.

Yeah, their fans are nuts. I don't care about her watching their videos - can do what she wants - but I will be pretty embarrassed if she takes up hassling people online over imagined slights.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

My wife has gotten massively into BTS nowadays, it's pretty much the main thing she watches or does online.

Same with my daughter (32 yrs old) but Stray Kids. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Any go-to/quickfire hashtags for me a person to focus on if they want a quick response?

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If you genuinely want to call hellfire upon your own head for some reason, #bts and #army will probably do it.

I get bored. That's when I do most of my best work.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I get bored. That's when I do most of my best work.

I once said that BTS look like children dressed as 90s boyband members. I was absolutely **** destroyed by them. You think oh thats the worst they have and then they persist. 

I also once criticised Corbyn online. Similar fallout. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Haha 1

Â