Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

brummies themselves don't give a shit about any of it whereas mancs are desperate for it 

We've discussed this before. The people who live in the satellite towns around Manchester, mostly seem keen to align themselves to the 'Manchester brand', while those in the Black Country fiercely reject any suggestion that they are anything to do with Birmingham. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We've discussed this before. The people who live in the satellite towns around Manchester, mostly seem keen to align themselves to the 'Manchester brand', while those in the Black Country fiercely reject any suggestion that they are anything to do with Birmingham. 

I know that

But more than that, the idea of the 2nd city stuff, its kind of shrugged off and not arrogantly or even nonchalantly "well its brum ain't it?" like it's so set in stone that they don't care on what grounds it's questioned 

Also think that brummies don't care about the city's standing in the world whereas Manchester is pushing like mad for it, brummies don't crave that recognition, if you give them balti, chocolate, some car stuff and the manufacturing heartland they'll be happy, the idea that Manchester attracts more foreign investment? I don't think your average brummie cares in the slightest but they should 

They also claim to be some kind of worldwide music mecca:

This doesn't attest to quality as such which is subjective but based on success...

Brum has Duran Duran £100m records sold, Black Sabbath 70 million records sold.

They have Oasis at 70 million.  I can't think of anyone else that would surpass this?  I've googled the usual suspects.

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

They also claim to be some kind of worldwide music mecca:

This doesn't attest to quality as such which is subjective but based on success...

Brum has Duran Duran £100m records sold, Black Sabbath 70 million records sold.

They have Oasis at 70 million.  I can't think of anyone else that would surpass this?  I've googled the usual suspects.

Bee gees, Take That maybe?

9 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

James, doves, courteeners, smiths, stone roses, new order, buzzcocks, the whole madchester stuff

To be fair to them there is definitely a music scene there

But same as everything else with them they exaggerate it and brum doesn't and throw in a huge element of what have you done for me lately 

13 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Oasis, Smiths, New Order, Joy Division, 808 State, Stone Roses, 10cc, Doves, Elbow, The Fall, Hermans Hermits. Davy Jones (The Monkees),  Graham Nash, Sad Cafe, Simply Red, Van Der Graaf Generator, The Chemical Brothers just off the top of my head and I'm deliberately not picking obscure stuff here

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

James, doves, courteeners, smiths, stone roses, new order, buzzcocks, the whole madchester stuff

But same as everything else with them they exaggerate it and brum doesn't and throw in a huge element of what have you done for me lately 

Without a doubt.  Lived there for 7 years and generally loved it but they certainly do have delusions of grandeur.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oasis, Smiths, New Order, Joy Division, 808 State, Stone Roses, 10cc, Doves, Elbow, The Fall, Hermans Hermits. Davy Jones (The Monkees),  Graham Nash, Sad Cafe, Simply Red, Van Der Graaf Generator, The Chemical Brothers just off the top of my head and I'm deliberately not picking obscure stuff here

None of those beat Duran Duran's 100 million or Sabbath's 70 million record sales was what I believe Seat was replying to.  Although the Bee Gees (Isle of Wightian Aussies) do.

You could do a similar list for Brum.  And the Mancs can get their grubby mitts of the Charlatans too.

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

UB40 probably sold more albums than them combined worldwide.

In fairness most of the Manc bands have made it big in the UK with fair to middling success elsewhere in the world, so to us they seem bigger than they actually are.

UB40, Duran Duran, ELO, Sabbath have gone truly global and their record sales reflect that.

However being Brummies we really don't care about this so not even sure why we're debating it 🙂

You can however be sure if those bands were Manc bands you would sure know about it.

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, bickster said:

The Monkees are over 75 Million. I suspect Graham Nash is as much or more

No way can they lay claim to The Monkees.  That would be delusional even for a Manc.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No way can they lay claim to The Monkees.  That would be delusional even for a Manc.

The lead singer of the band is from Manchester. He even appeared in Coronation St FFS and you don''t get more Manc than that. He was on the same Ed Sullivan Show as the B**tles, next you'll be telling me the B**tles aren't from Liverpool :trollface:

Manchester should have and does have a rich history and lots of things it can lay claim to.

But for me it goes hand in hand with that not to long ago held conversation about taking pride in things just because they’re from the country you were born in or live in. 

Some Manc getting all misty eyed because Alan Turing did some of his work there and acting like that also makes it their accomplishment is a bit odd.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Manchester should have and does have a rich history and lots of things it can lay claim to.

But for me it goes hand in hand with that not to long ago held conversation about taking pride in things just because they’re from the country you were born in or live in. 

Some Manc getting all misty eyed because Alan Turing did some of his work there and acting like that also makes it their accomplishment is a bit odd.

Could you imagine if Tolkien grew up in Manchester?  Hardly anybody even knows he grew up in Brum.

Â