Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

and there's a free pen

I think the plans are like most financial products. There's some okay ones and some poor value ones. I'd be steering away from celebretity endorsements and freebies. One good thing they can encourage is getting the parent or grandparent to write down their wishes in regard to the service they want. The last thing I want when my parents die is to be arguing with siblings over how grand the service should be, whether it should be religious or humanist, what hymns or songs should be used, where the wake should be and what the buffet should look like.

32 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I've got two kids. One can have my Barclaycard bill, the other can have my Amex bill.

I'm happy to be buried in the garden or put out with the food waste. Not overly bothered, I'll be dead.

I'm keeping the pen.

And dAVe80 gets first dibs on your record collection?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I've got two kids. One can have my Barclaycard bill, the other can have my Amex bill.

I'm happy to be buried in the garden or put out with the food waste. Not overly bothered, I'll be dead.

I'm keeping the pen.

I think most think of the event in the same simplistic way. Unfortunately, the reality is very different and whilst the deceased isn't able to give a hoot, those left behind will be trying to arrange something that has to happen in some form or other.

21 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I threaten my daughter that she will have my record collection on my death. 

My daughters will be fighting over mine. They have good taste, those gals. 

With that in mind...

my mate used to work for the council, part of his job was clearing out old people's houses that had died and had no family or family at didn't care, gather all their possessions and put them in a skip...he got some cracking records out of that, he only took records, one bloke he works with took a jukebox that looked like it was worth a few bob

Power naps. Now, I know I've mentioned my party piece on here - that I can easily wake up whenever I need to, without an alarm - but I can't do the opposite, i.e. fall asleep to order. Unless I'm really knackered, it takes me a little while to get off to sleep. Yet the idea of the power nap is that you just kip for twenty minutes or so, no more. I'd spend the twenty minutes trying to make myself sleep, and the time would be up. It's like the old thought experiment "DON'T think of a white horse" - it's automatically self-defeating. Anybody here tried it? 

I don't have any Bob Marley. 

We had a big disagreement back in the day, about doughnuts.

I'm not presuming I'm royalty! Just joining in because there's Bake Off chaos kicking off here so I'm keeping my head down. Who'd have thought students that have had nothing to do since last Friday would organise a Bake Off evening - and not check their TV has reception until 7:59pm. Student dickheads trying to get me remotely fixing their TV from 50 miles away and not liking my suggestions.

On 27/09/2016 at 07:25, villa4europe said:

With that in mind...

my mate used to work for the council, part of his job was clearing out old people's houses that had died and had no family or family at didn't care, gather all their possessions and put them in a skip...he got some cracking records out of that, he only took records, one bloke he works with took a jukebox that looked like it was worth a few bob

Not really related but reminded me of my dad having a similar story.

He used to work for the council housing department and occasionally was called out to assist with access to properties for various reasons. He was called out once to a property where some old fella was suspected to have died, so everyone was already on edge expecting something horrific to greet them when they opened the door.

They weren't quite ready to discover the old bloke had died, but instead of the usual body on the floor/in bed, he'd collapsed on a portable fan heater, which had basically cooked part of the body. So not only had you got the smell of death in the house, it was mixed with the smell of cooked flesh, and rotten cooked meat. Apparently the scene outside was like something out of a movie, with 'the rookie' throwing up and everyone going in being warned to prepare themselves.

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know i'll be offending VT music royalty here, but...

Bob Marley's music. Can't stand it. 

I have issues with Bob, but I can see his merits. Early Wailers, anything involving Scratch, early albums, I have time and love for. Legend, my next door neighbour playing Redemption Song on his shitty acoustic guitar, people asking me to play some Reggae, like Three Little Birds, less so. 

I have respect for the man, as an icon for the third world, and a symbol of peace and love, but I have massive issues with anyone who thinks Jamaican music begins and ends with Marley.

I blame Chris Blackwell. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Power naps. Now, I know I've mentioned my party piece on here - that I can easily wake up whenever I need to, without an alarm - but I can't do the opposite, i.e. fall asleep to order. Unless I'm really knackered, it takes me a little while to get off to sleep. Yet the idea of the power nap is that you just kip for twenty minutes or so, no more. I'd spend the twenty minutes trying to make myself sleep, and the time would be up. It's like the old thought experiment "DON'T think of a white horse" - it's automatically self-defeating. Anybody here tried it? 

Have you ever tried transcendental meditation?

Advocates claim that it is very good at restoring energy levels.

7 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The only thing that can "restore energy" is exercise or ingestion depending on whether you have an excess or deficit..

15 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Yes, I have. What I found was that it was - for a while - a 'free high'. I got it to a point where it felt like I was shooting skywards at speed - quite euphoric and slightly scary. But the novelty wore off, and when I tried again a few years later, I couldn't reproduce the effect. 

But I wasn't suggesting that I needed power naps to restore energy. I just find the idea a virtual impossibility, due to the short timescales. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Yes, I have. What I found was that it was - for a while - a 'free high'. I got it to a point where it felt like I was shooting skywards at speed - quite euphoric and slightly scary. But the novelty wore off, and when I tried again a few years later, I couldn't reproduce the effect. 

But I wasn't suggesting that I needed power naps to restore energy. I just find the idea a virtual impossibility, due to the short timescales. 

I have never tried TM but I have tried other types of meditation and got similar results to those you describe.

So-called power naps can take the edge of tiredness but if you sleep past 10-15 mins you tend to feel worse, and may suffer from the bear with a sore arse syndrome on waking; not always appreciated by mommy bear and the baby bears. :)  

Anyone else here tried binaural beats? I've had some reasonable results - with the more relaxing alpha waves in particular, but could just be placebo?

Edited by Ryan.

Â