Paul Lambert

limpid

Thanks to Lambert we've now got a SQUAD. He'll know as well as any of us that he now needs to bring in at least two quality players, but numbers-wise we've now got a number of players bought cheaply who aren't world-beaters, but are more than capable of doing a good job when called upon to fill in. They are young players on low wages, and while most of them won't perform well enough for a whole season, they'll put in a good shift when given the chance.

Assuming Lambert gets 20 million (net) to spend, we're in pretty decent shape overall.

Complete rubbish. Once we get a few injuries to our better players our results take a nose dive and the stats are there to prove it.

Just to let you know: Most people on this site usually keep their replies to things they disagree with reasonably respectful, so as not to create a negative impression of themselves.

The idea of having a squad is that you have players who are backup in case your preferred players get injured. For several seasons now we have not really had this luxury. Once we have added quality to the squad we have, we will be in a good position. The point that you seem to have missed is that Lambert's first two seasons have addressed the squad issues, and that we can now use the available money to attract fewer, higher quality players.

It's pretty obvious that a team that doesn't pick its best players isn't going to do well. The trouble is that very few players ever play every game in a season.

The point I'm putting forward is that the squad lambert has built isn't good enough to cover our better players and again I will put forward the stats and results when even one of our better players are missing such as Vlaar and there is no escaping that. It's probably why lambert has chopped and changed so much concerning systems to try and get the best out of who he has purchased and realised that his purchases at fullback for instance weren't cutting it so he had to then bring in a loan signing.

I'm not sure how many signings lambert has made but he has had very limited success in the transfer market probably just two of his signings would be kept by another manager coming in. It is no coincidence that under him our football has been generally poor and the results have matched that.

You're still not grasping what CPF is saying. I also think you're wrong about his success in the transfer market.

• Like 2

The point I'm putting forward is that the squad lambert has built isn't good enough to cover our better players and again I will put forward the stats and results when even one of our better players are missing such as Vlaar and there is no escaping that. It's probably why lambert has chopped and changed so much concerning systems to try and get the best out of who he has purchased and realised that his purchases at fullback for instance weren't cutting it so he had to then bring in a loan signing.

Shaggy -  The squad IS good enough for what we are trying to achieve as a football club currently. We are expected to retain our place in the league and that is an achievement for us. The squad/team will be totally unrecognisable in twelve months time, even more so in 24 months. Believe me, Lambert is a ruthless man and will get rid of players not performing to the standards required. Ideally we will evolve each season.

• Like 1

Have his signings had a massive influence on us staying in the league? - yes.

Could his signings have been better - maybe?

Could a different manager have spent the same amount of money and broke in to the top 8? - very unlikely.

Let's deal with the facts guys. If it wasn't for Lamberts signings we would be a championship team now.

• Like 2

I think Lambert has been excellent in the transfer market when you consider his budget. I'm far from being alone in this, so please don't say that Lambert's had limited success in the t.m. as though it's some kind of fact. It's your opinion.

Excuse me but point out where I've stated it as fact?

I'd also ask you to drop the patronising tone because that's twice you've done it now and it was wrong on both occasions.

Thanks to Lambert we've now got a SQUAD. He'll know as well as any of us that he now needs to bring in at least two quality players, but numbers-wise we've now got a number of players bought cheaply who aren't world-beaters, but are more than capable of doing a good job when called upon to fill in. They are young players on low wages, and while most of them won't perform well enough for a whole season, they'll put in a good shift when given the chance.

Assuming Lambert gets 20 million (net) to spend, we're in pretty decent shape overall.

Complete rubbish. Once we get a few injuries to our better players our results take a nose dive and the stats are there to prove it.

Just to let you know: Most people on this site usually keep their replies to things they disagree with reasonably respectful, so as not to create a negative impression of themselves.

The idea of having a squad is that you have players who are backup in case your preferred players get injured. For several seasons now we have not really had this luxury. Once we have added quality to the squad we have, we will be in a good position. The point that you seem to have missed is that Lambert's first two seasons have addressed the squad issues, and that we can now use the available money to attract fewer, higher quality players.

It's pretty obvious that a team that doesn't pick its best players isn't going to do well. The trouble is that very few players ever play every game in a season.

I'm not sure how many signings lambert has made but he has had very limited success in the transfer market probably just two of his signings would be kept by another manager coming in. It is no coincidence that under him our football has been generally poor and the results have matched that.

You're still not grasping what CPF is saying. I also think you're wrong about his success in the transfer market.

No I'm grasping it ok it's just that I don't agree with it. No problem also about thinking I'm wrong about lambert in the transfer market but our results and performances haven't been exactly great have they under him.

Shaggy - The squad IS good enough for what we are trying to achieve as a football club currently. We are expected to retain our place in the league and that is an achievement for us. The squad/team will be totally unrecognisable in twelve months time, even more so in 24 months. Believe me, Lambert is a ruthless man and will get rid of players not performing to the standards required. Ideally we will evolve each season.

Staying in the league is definitely NOT an achievement. In my eyes it is the absolute MINIMUM that any manager of our club should do.

• Like 2

Shaggy - The squad IS good enough for what we are trying to achieve as a football club currently. We are expected to retain our place in the league and that is an achievement for us. The squad/team will be totally unrecognisable in twelve months time, even more so in 24 months. Believe me, Lambert is a ruthless man and will get rid of players not performing to the standards required. Ideally we will evolve each season.
Staying in the league is definitely NOT an achievement. In my eyes it is the absolute MINIMUM that any manager of our club should do.

It's an achievement in the eyes of the board.

It's an achievement in the eyes of the board.

That is only assumed, we don't hear from the board re the goals

Shaggy -  The squad IS good enough for what we are trying to achieve as a football club currently. We are expected to retain our place in the league and that is an achievement for us. The squad/team will be totally unrecognisable in twelve months time, even more so in 24 months. Believe me, Lambert is a ruthless man and will get rid of players not performing to the standards required. Ideally we will evolve each season.
Well if that is the case gentleman then lambert will have to get rid of two thirds of his signings to replace them with better. Think about that for a moment. One of the reasons put forward not to bring another manager in was more upheaval of the squad yet that's what you say is going to happen anyway. Do we do that with a manager who hasn't yet made much of an improvement over two seasons with us or do we bring someone else in who wants to play in a way most of our fans want to see. There's no point in stability if the manager isn't good enough and I don't think lambert is good enough.

One last thing. If you see us staying in the league as some sort of achievement then the chairman has won the battle by dragging down fan expectation. For me being happy just to stay in the league is a lot lower than what we should expect for our club.

• Like 2

Shaggy, if you're going to start your reply to my post with "Absolute rubbish..." I won't be apologising for taking a patronising tone. I do think that you very much have stated your opinion to sound like fact. Let's agree to disagree on that and Lambert's transfer policy.

It does seem like you're missing the point of a lot of what people are saying here in general, though. Stating your opinion followed by "think about that for a moment" is also a bit patronising and unnecessary.

Your arguments are good, excellent, even, but they assume a manager with a giant pot of money at his disposal. That is not the case, so start factoring that in, please.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 3

What I want to know is how the squad will be "totally unrecognisable" in 12 months, then in 24 months "even more so".  I am literally dying trying to understand how you can be more than totally unrecognisable.  Literally dying.

What I want to know is how the squad will be "totally unrecognisable" in 12 months, then in 24 months "even more so". I am literally dying trying to understand how you can be more than totally unrecognisable. Literally dying.

RIP Bro. You'll be sadly missed.

• Like 3

Shaggy, if you're going to start your reply to my post with "Absolute rubbish..." I won't be apologising for taking a patronising tone. I do think that you very much have stated your opinion to sound like fact. Let's agree to disagree on that and Lambert's transfer policy.

It does seem like you're missing the point of a lot of what people are saying here in general, though. Stating your opinion followed by "think about that for a moment" is also a bit patronising and unnecessary.

Your arguments are good, excellent, even, but they assume a manager with a giant pot of money at his disposal. That is not the case, so start factoring that in, please.

He undoubtedly has had a difficult time with small funds, but as Stan Collymore mooted on air ....villa must find another way.This miserly funds scenario is nothing new.Martin O'Neill was probably blessed with more funds than any other manager in our history, pro rata.

I have a been hearing of our award winning youth academy, being one of the best in the country.....don't tell me show me.? where are the luke shaws, the llana's, the ross barkley's

We keep playing the same record of excuses.... to get a team to defend doesn't cost the massive sums it does to get them to score...Shaun Teale, Ugo...... what about Kompany @ 6 mill.

Its all about talent spotting and managing.....and in 2 seasons we have acheived a gnats willy.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

The squad IS good enough for what we are trying to achieve as a football club currently. We are expected to retain our place in the league and that is an achievement for us. 

Gentleman. I'm intrigued about who the "we" is in those sentences. Who are you speaking on behalf of when you state what "WE" are trying to achieve "as a football club"? Is that the board, the management team, the fans? When was this common objective set out and agreed by whoever is included in the "WE"?

Since it turns out the objective is survival in the premier league (apparently an "achievement"), I'd like to mention that no-one ran that one by me and got my agreement, so count me out of the "WE".

Edited by briny_ear

Â