Paul Lambert

limpid

Tbf thats only because moyes was stupid enough to buy fellaini for 25m.  He spent 13m on James mcarthy, thats basically what lambert had to spend all summer.

Well yes but then they only bought McCarthy because they were losing Fellaini. Also, Lambert spent around £18m in the summer so that's not quite the case.

Well its been debated many times here and by journos that we spent nearer 13-14m but thats besides the point anyway, mccarthy is not nor will ever be a 13m player and the point was lambert gets 13-14m to sign multiple players so its hard to compare the jobs the two are doing considering the vastly different situations.

Many promoted teams have a great first season. Let's not read too much into it. The difference between Lambert and the likes of Coyle, Burley, Jewell etc. is that he achieved back-to-back promotions. An incredible feat no doubt but I wouldn't interpret it as a sign that he is therefore destined to become a great manager as some seem to.

Did pretty well with Wycombe didn't he as well? League Cup semi-final. I think what he did with Norwich is remarkable, especially when you look at their team now and see that it still is pretty much the team he built bar a few additions.

Concentrating on what he did at Norwich doesn't excuse how he is doing with us.

Well its been debated many times here and by journos that we spent nearer 13-14m but thats besides the point anyway, mccarthy is not nor will ever be a 13m player and the point was lambert gets 13-14m to sign multiple players so its hard to compare the jobs the two are doing considering the vastly different situations.

Actually the accounts show in black and white that our spend this season was £18.9m. I wasn't sure if this includes the loan-fees in the last window which is why I rounded it to £18m.

Also, I'm not sure on what basis you can claim that McCarthy will 'never be' a £13m player? He might have been slightly overpriced but he is still a good player and will most likely prove to be an important signing for Everton in the years to come.

Edited by Isa

There have been several managers have done well at getting clubs into the Premier League but have then struggled to take that extra step, eg Coyle, Holloway and Phil Brown.  I think Lambert is the latest in that line of managers who are OK at a certain level, but in my opinion he's the wrong man for Villa and watching his atrocious football is soul destroying.

Didn't realise Holloway, Brown and Coyle took a team from League1 into the prem in consecutive seasons........

Nor did I, which is why I didn't say it. 

No but you're using them as a comparison with which to judge Lambert when their achievements were incomparable.

You would at least have had some credence if you'd compared him with Adkins but then I really don't want to have to fight your battles for you

If you lack basic comprehension skills, then that's your problem, not mine.

I think Lambert is closer to the likes of Moyes/Rodgers/Martinez than the aforementioned group of people.

With the one rather large obvious difference in that they all play a brand of football that's much. much better than Lambert, who is far closer to Tony Pulis than any of those three.

I think Lambert is closer to the likes of Moyes/Rodgers/Martinez than the aforementioned group of people.

With the one rather large obvious difference in that they all play a brand of football that's much. much better than Lambert, who is far closer to Tony Pulis than any of those three.

Subjective. I personally like the counter attacking and pressing style Lambert is trying to implement.  :)

Edited by GENTLEMAN

The fact we have to debate his achievements at past clubs to allow some to praise him as a good manager shows the poor job he's done here.

Yes. Clutching at straws springs to mind. He hasn't proven he is a good manager during his time here so we are reminded about his success at Norwich every five minutes instead.

Actually the accounts show in black and white that our spend this season was £18.9m. I wasn't sure if this includes the loan-fees in the last window which is why I rounded it to £18m.

Also, I'm not sure on what basis you can claim that McCarthy will 'never be' a £13m player? He might have been slightly overpriced but he is still a good player and will most likely prove to be an important signing for Everton in the years to come.

On the basis of what ive seen and my opinion? No different to people on here determined to write off every villa player and manager  at any given opportunity.

For me, he's just doing a decent enough job.  It's not been brilliant at all but it's not been bad either.  You've just got to hope we're now done with "rebuilding" a squad (I actually think the loan signings hint at this) and can add proper quality.

He may well be tactically limited to an extent and not all of his signings have worked out (obviously), but I'm encouraged by the fact that he recognises exactly what we need and that he/his scouting team has picked up Benteke, Vlaar and Bacuna in particular whilst also recognising that Guzan was a keeper to... keep.  Okore also looks like he'll be a very good purchase.  There's enough there for me to think he'd do well in buying the right players with the right money and he's a young manager who will be learning all the time.

Has he been fixating on squad building or trying to build a team. You can't have it both ways. Would you say Benteke was a squad signing or Vlaar or Guzan.

He's been trying to build a team with limited success and you just can't excuse that limited success by excusing his bad signings as intentional squad signings.

Both - he's had to put together a squad and also replace higher earners from the first team.  Obviously Benteke, Vlaar and Guzan had all been brought in to be first team players; to be fair, as had many of his signings.

It's not excusing bad signings as "they're for the squad!" but he obviously had to re-establish this too.  Tonev, as a good example, is a midfielder who scored a few goals in Poland and has a good shot on him.  He'd have resolved part of the issue of a lack of goals from midfield but hasn't settled/been as good as hoped.  The difference is that our "flops" (for want of a better word) haven't cost us the earth in terms of transfer fee nor wages and, similarly, they've been made to address issues that we had/still have.

Besides, name me a manager that hasn't ever made bad signings.  Hint:  There's none.

On the basis of what ive seen and my opinion? No different to people on here determined to write off every villa player and manager  at any given opportunity.

Fair enough. I was just curious as I've always been generally impressed whenever I've seen him over the last couple of years.

There have been several managers have done well at getting clubs into the Premier League but have then struggled to take that extra step, eg Coyle, Holloway and Phil Brown.  I think Lambert is the latest in that line of managers who are OK at a certain level, but in my opinion he's the wrong man for Villa and watching his atrocious football is soul destroying.

Didn't realise Holloway, Brown and Coyle took a team from League1 into the prem in consecutive seasons........

Nor did I, which is why I didn't say it. 

No but you're using them as a comparison with which to judge Lambert when their achievements were incomparable.

You would at least have had some credence if you'd compared him with Adkins but then I really don't want to have to fight your battles for you

If you lack basic comprehension skills, then that's your problem, not mine.

No I comprehended that just fine I think, you used incomparable evidence as a comparison, mayhaps it's you that needs a brush up on comprehension.

I don't think we can really judge Lambert or his style of play just yet, not until he has completed his set of tools as in been able to buy the players he needs to play his preferred style of football, which may well be quite different from what we are currently witnessing.... Similarly you couldn't blame a dentist for his methods or the fact he made a mess of extracting a tooth if he was only given a fiver to buy a basic pair of pliers to do it with.

• Like 2

Many promoted teams have a great first season. Let's not read too much into it. The difference between Lambert and the likes of Coyle, Burley, Jewell etc. is that he achieved back-to-back promotions. An incredible feat no doubt but I wouldn't interpret it as a sign that he is therefore destined to become a great manager as some seem to.

Did pretty well with Wycombe didn't he as well? League Cup semi-final. I think what he did with Norwich is remarkable, especially when you look at their team now and see that it still is pretty much the team he built bar a few additions.

Concentrating on what he did at Norwich doesn't excuse how he is doing with us.

Personally I've said many times that I won't judge anything until the season is finished, we've been floating around the middle of the table for most of the season so far and I'd class that as a decent season should we finish there. Again though, it all depends on if we do finish there or not.

The fact we have to debate his achievements at past clubs to allow some to praise him as a good manager shows the poor job he's done here.

No, it highlights how idiotic it is that some people are seemingly unable to give him any credit whatsoever.

• Like 1

No I comprehended that just fine I think, you used incomparable evidence as a comparison, mayhaps it's you that needs a brush up on comprehension.

No, read it again, or ask an adult helper to assist you with your reading if you like.  I compared the fact that they got teams into the Premier League, not their complete records.

No, read it again, or ask an adult helper to assist you with your reading if you like.

Very harsh. 

Indeed, welcome to VT where it is cool to be pedantic and throw personal digs about for no apparent reason.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

No, read it again, or ask an adult helper to assist you with your reading if you like.

Very harsh. 

Indeed, welcome to VT where it is cool to be pedantic and throw personal digs about for no apparent reason.

We are all guilty of it.  :)

• Like 1

Â