Paul Lambert

limpid

4 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Maybe it would have been better to have gone down under him last year, bounced back this year, and returned when the big money was pumped into the PL.

No no no. More time with Lambert would have sent me suicidal. Surviving last year and semi final are the only two moments in the last 2 years that made me happier than the day he got sacked. 

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

Bad job for him to take. Sold their best player in January.

I did say if he thought walking under Lerner was a nightmare the Venkys are on a whole different level.

Just what did he expect? He'll probably be next Leeds manager!

Edited by VillaChris

Former Manchester United midfielder Roy Keane has spoken of his surprise at how easily ex-Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert was able to move on from defeats. 

Former United captain Keane was Lambert’s assistant at Villa, and has spoken out about how quickly his old boss used to move on from losing.

Keane told the Birmingham Mail that at United, whilst the team would always want to quickly move on from a defeat, it would take the players a couple of days to recover as they would be so angry.

However at Villa, Lambert and the players used to be laughing and joking 24 hours after a bad defeat, which Keane just couldn’t understand.

“At United we had a culture where, if you were beaten on a Saturday – people talk about bouncing back and moving on quickly – but Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, lads would still be fuming, and I loved that,” said the ITV pundit.

“When I went to Aston Villa, Paul Lambert said to me, ‘We have a policy where, if we have a bad result at the weekend, we stew on it for 24 hours and move on quickly’. And I said, ‘Well, I can’t do that’. For me, it might be closer to 24 days. Obviously, Villa were used to it, I wasn’t.

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/roy-keane-speaks-out-on-aston-villas-losing-mentality/650634#M2QV4gW2Dh54ZwvY.99

• Like 3

That's quite a common sports psychology technique I believe. I know Tiger Woods did similar in his prime.

Not saying it's appropriate in this situation at all, just that that might be where it came from.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That's quite a common sports psychology technique I believe.

Yep as you don't want players dwelling on negatives. You have a review of what went wrong and then put a plan in place to fix it.  Then the focus changes to the plan and the work in training, not pining over a defeat that you can't change.

Also, it would be different losing at Utd than it would be for Villa.

Utd are expected to win most games, especially in the 90s/00s.  The result of a loss more or less directly affected their chances of winning silverware.  At Villa, we've never really been expected to do anything. 

I expect the losing thing would only apply to teams who are usually in with a chance of winning something.

I also expect it took our players much longer to get over the F.A Cup final defeat, than say, the 6,000 times we've lost this season.

On 23/04/2016 at 20:17, StanBalaban said:

Former Manchester United midfielder Roy Keane has spoken of his surprise at how easily ex-Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert was able to move on from defeats. 

Former United captain Keane was Lambert’s assistant at Villa, and has spoken out about how quickly his old boss used to move on from losing.

Keane told the Birmingham Mail that at United, whilst the team would always want to quickly move on from a defeat, it would take the players a couple of days to recover as they would be so angry.

However at Villa, Lambert and the players used to be laughing and joking 24 hours after a bad defeat, which Keane just couldn’t understand.

“At United we had a culture where, if you were beaten on a Saturday – people talk about bouncing back and moving on quickly – but Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, lads would still be fuming, and I loved that,” said the ITV pundit.

“When I went to Aston Villa, Paul Lambert said to me, ‘We have a policy where, if we have a bad result at the weekend, we stew on it for 24 hours and move on quickly’. And I said, ‘Well, I can’t do that’. For me, it might be closer to 24 days. Obviously, Villa were used to it, I wasn’t.

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/roy-keane-speaks-out-on-aston-villas-losing-mentality/650634#M2QV4gW2Dh54ZwvY.99

Certainly worked for him at Ipswich and Sunderland when they started losing games.

38 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Alan Nixon claims he will be replaced at end of season by Alan Irvine, David Dunn or Tim Sherwood

That would be a real kick in the teeth for Lambo, being replaced by Timmy not once but twice!!

Â