Paul Lambert

limpid

A 2 - 0 cup win against a team we should be beating anyway is not going to win me over and convince Lambert is good enough

Consistancy is everything something Lambert has never shown since he's been here

I don't know whether he's good enough or not, but there's a profound lack of innovative thinking on the pitch, and that's purely on Lambert. I would take a little inconsistency at the moment because we've been consistently sucking.

TBF Bournemouth flying high in the championship was never going to be easy - they would have given most prem sides a run for there money - Blackpool on the other hand should have been more convincing.

On a shoestring budget Lambert has assembled a decent squad - question is can he organise them into a half decent team - time will tell

• Like 2

No complaints from me today. We were lack luster in the first half, much better in the second, scored two great goals, won and most importantly are in the next round of the cup.

I know some will highlight the fact that Bournemouth made 7 or 8 changes but nine times out of 10, when available, Guzan, Vlaar, Cissokho, Delph, Westwood and Gabby would have started for us.

I'd love to say today is hopefully the start of us putting a run of results together but looking at our next two games that is unlikely. What we need to see in the next couple of games though is for us to at least make a decent fist of it and be competitive. I also think given the squad of players we now have then we are certainly capable of taking at least a point from the next couple as well.

I have been saying all season that Lambert has built a decent squad and most recently the Gil signing looks a gem and Delph signing a new deal is a massive boost. It would be an absolute travesty if this team was anywhere near the bottom three come the end of the season. I wouldn't say today was even close to what this squad is capable of but it was a step in the right direction. Lambert now needs to do what he has failed to do all season and consistently get something like the best out of the squad he has done so well to build. If he doesn't then despite putting a good squad of players together on a limited budget he will have failed miserably.

As usual, well said Mark....much of my own sentiments.

I was interested to see a young lad from an alien league come in and score.... we need some of the regular players to cut out the excuses and deliver the goods for what they are being paid for.

I'm desperate to win the FA cup. I've always wanted it. Always.

2000 broke my heart.

If Lambert could win us the cup, it'd mean so much to me. Unfortunately I've just got used to losing, it's hard to think something that good could happen. I can only see us losing to Bradford again, or getting to the final against Liverpool and seeing Gerrard get a hatrick to life the cup.

5 years of shit does that to you.

Not to me. I go into every single game, still, with hope in my heart. Because the nature of the game dictates that on any given match day almost anything can happen. From the wretched to the remarkable and everything in between.

I still place the football, the game itself, above all else. I'd probably give it up if I couldn't do that, if I no longer had hope. It wouldn't be worth the stress.

For tonight only, Paul Lambert in. I'll be daydreaming that if we only win another four games this season they'll be in this tournament. I love the FA cup THAT much.

• Like 3

Don't understand downplaying the result because of the division they're in. They're certainly one of the best 20 teams in the country, which means it will never be easy.

Agreed. Before people were pointing out that Villa were the underdogs, Bournemouth had a better chance of winning, it wouldn't be a cupset if we lost, etc. That's all true, today's result was similar to beating a team around ourselves in the league.

Edited by jayEm

Don't understand downplaying the result because of the division they're in. They're certainly one of the best 20 teams in the country, which means it will never be easy.

Agreed. Before people were pointing out that Villa were the underdogs, Bournemouth had a better chance of winning, it wouldn't be a cupset if we lost, etc. That's all true, today's result was similar to beating a team around ourselves in the league.
Exactly think some need to remember they said we haven't a chance. But we just about deserved it. Just need to build on this and this time we just might. Mourhino never won at villa park in league. What's to say we can't do it again? Same as last year we had no chance according to many but we did. We also have a good record at the Emirates. Think we will get something from one of those games.?

Find it funny how first half Bournemouth were getting rimmed for playing good football, then we put a nice move together for the second goal and its because it was Bournemouth reserves.

Its nothing new, I remember it being quite regular during the McLeish and Houllier seasons it seems almost impossible to give the club or manager a bit of credit for the result.

The win today, the signing of Gil and getting delph to sign a long term deal gives lambert s bit if credit from me. His still massively overdrawn mind but this weekends been quite a good one from our perspective

• Like 2

Credit where its due today, played well second half and got the goals, Gil showing us he is a player with a superb goal. Only negative for me was Benteke, Lambert needs to get some balls and sort his form out, or else drop him. Can't have someone with his ability not performing, down to the manager to change this.

• Like 1

We beat a Bournemouth reserve side where the first 11 today in total cost about £750k!

However, that is all we needed to do today and you can only beat who is put in front of you so fair play to Lambert for that.

A few more positives from today:

Gabby didn't start!

One of Westwood/Cleverley was dropped/rested (they don't work well together IMO).

The performance of Gil.

Delphi's new contract.

Good to see a few goals too!

Nice to see a win.

What a goal, what a bargain.

More wins will breed more confidence, stinking time to play some tough games. A good draw in the cup will really lift the side for me.

Great line up there from Jim ^ ... Credit to Lambert today, but he is still massively overdrawn.

credit where credit is due. Well done Paul.. even though you picked the wrong tactics again... you corrected it at HT and used more width and it worked. Leave Gil on the wings and Wiemann upfront please.

Keep winning Lambo and we may just learn to love you.

Lord knows why, but I still like Lambert. Tactically, he has turned our defense from a shambles into a half-decent, organized unit. We've started to keep a little possession, as all of us were dying to do. And on a shoestring budget, he has amassed some talent: Benteke, Sanchez, Vlaar, Okore, and Gil (based on early returns), and even lesser buys like Westwood and Bacuna have been at least half-decent. That's a lot more quality than we could've reasonably expected from our meager spending. That said, this means our squad is fairly decent. We shouldn't be struggling for goals, and we sure as heck shouldn't be in another relegation fight. So the ball is squarely in Lambert's court. Time to turn in some points, or even I will reach my limit.

• Like 1

Â