Paul Lambert

limpid

One thing that has annoyed me. Watching the games from yesterday, seeing Chelsea, Man City and others play 'second' teams and nothing gets said. When we did the same last year, we were accused of disrespect. Pisses me off.

• Like 1

Appalling first half and then looked better in the second half against a Championship side playing with their B team.

How many more times are you going to say that?

We won. You can only beat what's in front of you, and christ knows we've not been able to do that too often

• Like 1

Outplayed for quite of lot of that game and carved open several times, this against a Championship side who I'm told made 8 changes.

Gil really is the only shinning light with decent performances from Weimann, Okore and Clark. The rest were putrid.

Yeah but didn't all and sundry who seem to know football said that we'd get Mullered by Bournemouth and that they couldn't see us win and that we'd have no chance? Well they may have carved us apart but apart from the late goal they didn't take the chances . We did and could have had a late goal too. But why not just enjoy the victory no matter how we got it. Be it lucky or not (but according to the commentators we just edged it) but maybe they were wrong!

You're right much more interesting to hear why we can't play like we did second half or why we can't expect to be better for the numerous reasons that aren't anything to do with the manager.

I should've ended with a winking smiley - sorry.  It was sarcastic after a positive post :P

I love that the few who have backed Lambert finally have something to cheer about

He delivered what was expected of him today nothing to get carried away with  we were only playing the Bournemouth reserves

The scoreline was a bit flattering on our behalf tbh and we were lucky to go in at half time at 0 - 0

• Like 1

We won today and we managed to play some good stuff in the second half after a dreadful first half. We did what was needed but he must stop using that midfield diamond as soon as possible.

Gil and Weimann were much more central in the first half but when you get them out wide, looking to cut inside we are much more of a threat.

I love that the few who have backed Lambert finally have something to cheer about

He delivered what was expected of him today nothing to get carried away with  we were only playing the Bournemouth reserves

The scoreline was a bit flattering on our behalf tbh and we were lucky to go in at half time at 0 - 0

But we're in the draw for the next round and they aren't.

If we get to Wembley, we'll done it thanks to a result against "Bournemouth reserves"

• Like 1

You almost sound annoyed that we won

Outplayed for quite of lot of that game and carved open several times, this against a Championship side who I'm told made 8 changes.

Gil really is the only shinning light with decent performances from Weimann, Okore and Clark. The rest were putrid. 

To be fair, the changes Bournemouth made were essentially irrelevant today.  The first half was us showing a complete lack of confidence.  There was a moment after about a minute where we had the ball with Cleverley in a decent position and he could've fired a ball into Benteke's feet - instead, he turned back and passed it to Okore(?).  Benteke was a player evidently lacking in confidence too.  A couple of times he had the ball in a position where he'd usually shoot, but dallied on it or passed the ball on.

Gil's wonder strike was such a huge moment and the relief was huge.  We started the second half well enough but badly needed that goal.  After that, we were pretty much in control really.  Kieran Richardson was suspect defensively all game and Bournemouth did create a couple of chances (one goal) directly as a result of this.  I think a defeat could've been potentially catastrophic for us today.

This isn't a turning point that we've reached by any stretch, but it felt like a must win game.  Both our goals were beautiful, our passing play in the second half was more incisive.  Gil looks to get forward all the time and playing Weimann with him is the right call - he's the only forward we have that makes decent runs.

Not a great performance but a very gutsy one against a team who, 8 changes or not, look like they'll make the step up this season.

He delivered what was expected of him today nothing to get carried away with we were only playing the Bournemouth reserves

Bwahahahaha give it a rest

Appalling first half and then looked better in the second half against a Championship side playing with their B team.

We won. You can only beat what's in front of you, and christ knows we've not been able to do that too often

I've said it twice, in the reactions thread and once in here.

Yes we won, but we were awful in the first half and were lucky to go in at 0-0. 

But we're in the hat for the next round. That's all that matters in the cup

But we're in the hat for the next round. That's all that matters in the cup

Not disputing that, but we were awful for the first half playing against a Championship B team.

Â