Paul Lambert

limpid

I'm stuck on the fence, i like the fact we are trying to play better football and i totally see how it's gonna take a while for that to bear fruit and become effective, firstly we need new creative players to make it work as has become clear & hopefully Gil if it comes off is a good start, secondly the constant disruption with sendings off and injuries is not helping either, so i guess i can see glimmers of long term hope but the transition is excruciatingly painful to watch as we all know... But if we take the change in style as a turning point it's still way too early to judge it. 

Then i see us lose again and of course it feels a bit like poking a very sore boil! Especially when we look like a conference team in an attacking sense.

So i really don't know which way to call it, part of me would love to see a couple of signings come in and us to finish the season improving and safely getting to summer when we will see Bent, Nzog, Given etc leave and clear the last of the high earners and hopefully the purse strings released for some much better players to come in and all to be rosy and us playing a much better brand of football. Part of me looks at recent history and says times up it's just way too bad for way too long. 

:unsure:

• Like 2

He's not going anywhere, we are not going to buy anyone and if we do they will be shit, we will continue to not score goals and then we will scrap it out till the end of the season and either just survive or the inevitable will happen.

No one is going to buy us.

We won't get funds.

Nothing will change.

There is no hope.

tumblr_mce9ovunqI1qf3jmj.gif

• Like 1

If Lambert really has lost the dressing room then he will have to be sacked. Whether he's any good as a manager becomes irrelevant at that point.

Personally I doubt that a manager change would be anything other than a short-term strategy to mitigate the lack of investment, but it might be only way to remove any staleness and give us a chance of staying up in a dogfight.

So on the one hand we've got poor performances, breathtaking inability to score actual goals, players being sent off in every game, poor attendance, and all-round misery.

On the other hand we're slowly but surely picking up some good players, we don't really have a right to expect to be way higher than 13th in the table given the lack of funds, we have a manager who at his previous clubs was either brilliant or freakishly lucky, and no obvious replacement candidate that everyone agrees on.

I don't know.

• Like 3

summer when we will see Bent, Nzog, Given etc leave and clear the last of the high earners

I hate to be the one to break this to you but only bent is leaving in the summer.

Nzog and given are here till next summer.

Although I think after 3 years and only 2 of them left the "high earners" argument will be wearing a bit thin.

Seems like they are sending out another player to deflect the blame, like they have before. This time it's Brad.

'They'? We're not run the bloody Illuminati. If Brad didn't want to say that, he wouldn't have done.

It's not a conspiracy ffs.

I think people also forget that Gabby and Delph also fall into the "high earner" category. Delph seems certain to go this summer, if not sooner. So, that will be at least two of them off the books.

Maybe the manager will have extra funds at his disposal?

If Lambert really has lost the dressing room then he will have to be sacked. Whether he's any good as a manager becomes irrelevant at that point.

Personally I doubt that a manager change would be anything other than a short-term strategy to mitigate the lack of investment, but it might be only way to remove any staleness and give us a chance of staying up in a dogfight.

So on the one hand we've got poor performances, breathtaking inability to score actual goals, players being sent off in every game, poor attendance, and all-round misery.

On the other hand we're slowly but surely picking up some good players, we don't really have a right to expect to be way higher than 13th in the table given the lack of funds, we have a manager who at his previous clubs was either brilliant or freakishly lucky, and no obvious replacement candidate that everyone agrees on.

I don't know.

You're the first person I've seen since Saturday to mention league position. I really don't think we can use that anymore as some sort of defence.

You're the first person I've seen since Saturday to mention league position. I really don't think we can use that anymore as some sort of defence.

Why? How high DO you think we have a right to expect to be?

But its not about league position right now. The same way it was pointless going on about 12th a few weeks ago or 11th last season because its pretty obvious we're going to be dropping.

But its not about league position right now. The same way it was pointless going on about 12th a few weeks ago or 11th last season because its pretty obvious we're going to be dropping.

12th a few weeks ago was when we'd played each side once - not a completely pointless way of measuring progress. Fwiw I agree we're likely to drop positions over the next few games, but even with the same players it's not unreasonable to expect to finish around 12th based on the first half of the season (as long as you don't watch us actually play, of course).

FWIW I'm fully expecting him to be sacked this week.

id be absolutely gobsmacked if he is

I probably phrased that badly.

What I meant was that's the mindset I'm in.

I'm not saying he will be sacked, I just mean that's what my expectations are.

Up until now I thought he'd be here no matter what.

I no longer think that. I'm expecting him to go, and soon.

What's making you think this? It's just a bit odd because there's nothing to suggest he will get sacked and we know that Lerner doesn't have a history of sacking managers mid-season.

Because my belief has always been that the only way Lambert would get the sack is if our Premier League status was genuinely at risk.

I think that risk is growing.

There surely can't be anyone still backing him?

I'm still backing him.

I don't think he's the man to take us forward and I'd be pleased to see him replaced.

But I still back him. I'd RATHER he turned it round than we replaced him. I just don't think he will turn it round.

There surely can't be anyone still backing him?

I'm still backing him.

I don't think he's the man to take us forward and I'd be pleased to see him replaced.

But I still back him. I'd RATHER he turned it round than we replaced him. I just don't think he will turn it round.

I don't like doing this but here it is. This!

Edited by sexbelowsound

Reading a story this morning on MOM , that we are bringing a director of football in , any opinions?

Once upon a time 'My Old Man Said' had a reputation for being quite accurate with their stories, If true would be interesting to see who they go for and what difference it would make.

Reading a story this morning on MOM , that we are bringing a director of football in , any opinions?

Once upon a time 'My Old Man Said' had a reputation for being quite accurate with their stories, If true would be interesting to see who they go for and what difference it would make.

A director of football is there to buy players for the first team squad usually. Does anyone else know what other roles they may have?

I'm still backing him.

One reason is that I don't like admitting I was wrong when I wanted him as manager

I also like the fact he is proud to be the Villa Manager and is aware of the history etc.  I know I will be shot down for this but O'Leary used to really annoy me with the way he put the club down, while he was manager.

Lambert though might be missing one vital attribute and that is being a lucky manager.  He has built a half decent squad of players on a  small budget but he just doesnt have the luck either with Sending offs or Injuries.  Just never seems to get going.

• Like 2

Â