Paul Lambert

limpid

If Lambert's done enough to retain your support you obviously have no expectations of improvement over 3 years.

Which makes me think why support a manager who you expect so little of?

I am not expecting us to do an awful lot given the lack of serious financial support for Lambert and the general sense of drift around the club which now seems unavoidable under the Lerner regime. Actually, if you look at the pre-season expectations thread people would have been happy with 17th whilst we wait for the club to sell. What happened was we got off to a good start and people readjusted what they wanted from the season.

Lambert doesn't help himself sometimes. He has said on several occasions that this is the strongest squad he has had, and actually I agree with him. Obviously the question that then gets asked is why we're not lots better than before. In truth I don't think Lambert is getting the best out of his players this season (with a few notable exceptions) and he obviously hasn't yet decided the best way for us to play, which is poor given the timeframe, but I can't fail to give him credit for his work in the transfer market, which continues to be both inventive and pragmatic in the face of clear obstacles. This has effectively kept us afloat when many managers would have taken us down, and leaves us with a positive ongoing legacy which contrasts markedly to the poison we were left by O'Neill, Houllier and McLeish.

My hopes for the second half of the season are that Lambert is able to bring in the players this month that he wants (Gil looks promising) and that somehow it all clicks for us going forward in the way that it did, suddenly, during his first term. Realistically I think we need to look at revamping the coaching set up in the summer, but perhaps a good appointment as assistant manager will make a difference for now, as well as a couple of key signings. If Moyes were still available I might fancy a swap, but given the lack of real support from the chairman I'm not sure I fancy anyone else to come in and do a better job. They just might, but it would be a massive gamble with the future of the club. As it is we're 13th and we'll probably stay up, and anywhere from 11th-14th would represent some progress. I really think the people saying things like 'how could anyone possibly do worse' might end up regretting what they wished for. 

It's not great, but I don't expect major steps forward under Lerner. Lambert clearly needs to improve in certain areas, but overall he's doing enough for me, just about. 

Great post. Sums it up perfectly for me.

There don't seem much discipline at the moment, no one can argue that.

What's your argument to back that up? 

Does he really have to answer that? Pretty damn obvious if you've watched villa for the past month or so.

Edited by Cliffy Biro
  • Like 1

Does he really have to answer that? Pretty damn obvious if you've watched villa for the past month or so.

Oh generally on the pitch? I don't think Lambert can really help Delph and Richardson being idiots? 

Gabby wasn't a red card, and Clark reacted to an awful tackle. 2 bad challenges hardly indicates a "lack of discipline"... we have no idea how Lambert has punished Delph and Richardson for getting sent off so stupidly. 

Edited by PieFacE

I think quite a few people are angry with Lambert's performance and voiced their opinion at Leicester. Hopefully even more get angry this weekend and voice their opinion and Lerner will get a bit concerned.

Why would you hope that more fans get angry?  I hope we win and the fans go home happy. 

• Like 2

I think quite a few people are angry with Lambert's performance and voiced their opinion at Leicester. Hopefully even more get angry this weekend and voice their opinion and Lerner will get a bit concerned.

Why would you hope that more fans get angry?  I hope we win and the fans go home happy. 

Have you learnt nothing over the last 2 and a half years or are you one of these fans that thinks everything is rosy just because we win a game?

I hope the fans get angry because I have seen time and time again that a couple of ok results is swiftly followed by a lengthy period of absolute garbage and that the bigger picture is more than 'we won a game so let's all believe our manager is wonderful and we are going to go storming up the table'.

Do you really think that a win against Liverpool will be the turning point?

I really do despair of some people.

• Like 2

He has categorically not lost the dressing room. Not even in the slightest

There are a lot of uninterested players moping around on the pitch lately

Don't reckon this is a direct reaction to Lambert. It's just pure frustration with adjusting to a new system and players not gelling yet. If the few Benteke runs start actually being onside I reckon the atmosphere will start improving. 

but given the lack of real support from the chairman I'm not sure I fancy anyone else to come in and do a better job.

I really think the people saying things like 'how could anyone possibly do worse' might end up regretting what they wished for.

Poor excuse IMO.

You really think another manager wouldn't potentially get a better goal output from the set of players we have? I find that VERY hard to believe.

FWIW I think we will just about stay up but to say another manager coming couldn't improve the rubbish served up at the moment is a bit far fetched.

This is now the squad he wants 3 seasons later; he has no more excuses.

He has categorically not lost the dressing room. Not even in the slightest

There are a lot of uninterested players moping around on the pitch lately

Don't reckon this is a direct reaction to Lambert. It's just pure frustration with adjusting to a new system and players not gelling yet. If the few Benteke runs start actually being onside I reckon the atmosphere will start improving. 

Im not so sure, the effort put in on Saturday by some was minimal to say the least

Oh generally on the pitch? I don't think Lambert can really help Delph and Richardson being idiots? 

Gabby wasn't a red card, and Clark reacted to an awful tackle. 2 bad challenges hardly indicates a "lack of discipline"... we have no idea how Lambert has punished Delph and Richardson for getting sent off so stupidly. 

laughable defense really, if you want to defend 1 or 2 then fine but 5 or 6 in as many weeks and you're not willing to admit that isn't a coincidence?

It's not great, but I don't expect major steps forward under Lerner. Lambert clearly needs to improve in certain areas, but overall he's doing enough for me, just about.

Sorry to cherry pick a small part of your post but i just have to ask this in response to the bold bit....Really? Nothing personal i just find that stunning if im honest.

• Like 2

laughable defense really, if you want to defend 1 or 2 then fine but 5 or 6 in as many weeks and you're not willing to admit that isn't a coincidence?

5 or 6?

I can only think of 3 straight reds?

5 or 6?

I can only think of 3 straight reds?

Benteke, Gabby, Delph, Richardson were definitely all straight reds.

Â