Paul Lambert

limpid

I we had of beat Arsenal yesterday.....we would have been setting ourselves up to be title contenders.

We all know we have not got the quality of play, to be such....so i guess despite the sickness, which i think was a major factor in our demise, we are back to a reflection of what we have....a decent team but not a title contention team.

Yeah but thats been the case in about 95 of the last 100 years tbh.

I think over the previous 2 seasons, every point was vital and it was right to try to pinch points here & there.

We now seem a bit away from the scrap and should be able to play more freely, without pressure. I would personally like to see us going all out to win every game now, rather than hoping for a point that may never come. The 3 points system encourages this & SAF played it perfectly.

Probably why I'm not a football manager mind.

Would you rather lose 8-0 again to Chelsea and beat Citeh 1-0, or draw both games?

I know we'd have 1 more point from the former option but would it be worth it for the humiliation and hit to the goal difference?

Points on the board are worth more than GD imo. The extra point gained could make GD is irrelevant.

Would you rather lose 8-0 again to Chelsea and beat Citeh 1-0, or draw both games?

I know we'd have 1 more point from the former option but would it be worth it for the humiliation and hit to the goal difference?

That one point could mean one place higher int eh league which is over £1.5m. I'd take an 8-0 doing all night long if I knew there was £1.5m waiting for me in my bank account (plus the pleasure of beating City into the bargain)

Look at the damage losing 8-0 to Chelsea did.

If we're 3-0 down, with half a team and a sickness bug in camp, you shut up shop and wait for next week. How that can argued is baffling IMO.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

If we're 3-0 down, with half a team and a sickness bug in camp, you shut up shop and wait for next week. How that can argued is baffling IMO.

We did. Was just a crazy 4 minutes.

Edit: sorry misunderstood your point. I agree it was right to avoid further damage. Should have done same against Chelsea 2 seasons back. To continue to try and score was a joke.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I'd rather lose 1-0 to Chelsea and beat City 8-0. I don't suppose that's on offer?

The only rider I would add is that lambo said it was all over at 0-3.

I'm pretty sure every manager would have said similar in a post match interview if their team had gone 3 down in a matter of minutes and never came back.

I agree and have said I don't fault the approach in this game...my concern was as expressed in the rest of the post.

Edit: sorry misunderstood your point. I agree it was right to avoid further damage. Should have done same against Chelsea 2 seasons back. To continue to try and score was a joke.

Most of the time, trying to score is the right thing to do. It helps your goal difference. It helps restore a little pride. It's what the players want to do anyway. Finally, away fans haven't paid a fortune to travel to West London to see the team try to keep the ball near the corner flag for 45 minutes in an attempt to protect a four goal deficit. It's possible that that one game against Chelsea is different, because they were so so good and we were so so bad, but it shouldn't be general practice. 

Most of the time, trying to score is the right thing to do. It helps your goal difference. It helps restore a little pride. It's what the players want to do anyway. Finally, away fans haven't paid a fortune to travel to West London to see the team try to keep the ball near the corner flag for 45 minutes in an attempt to protect a four goal deficit. It's possible that that one game against Chelsea is different, because they were so so good and we were so so bad, but it shouldn't be general practice. 

Normally I agree, but there were some pretty exceptional circumstances on Saturday.

Â