Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

So, my take on it:

Frankly, I don't like it one bit. Cleverley did not want to join us on a permanent basis, and if accounts are to be believed messed us and Lambert around with the 11th hour Everton bid. Now that on it's own doesn't wind me up too much - Everton & Martinez are clearly a more attractive prospect to Clevs for a number of reasons.

However, having shown a substantial financial commitment (£8 mil) and personal interest in him as a player, we're now left in the perverse situation where the better he does for us, the less likely he will ever be our player - especially given the fact that he or Utd can cancel the loan in January (I predict a flurry of bids if he plays remotely well).

I get that all loan moves entail an element of this sort of thing, but this situation just feels strange and I would rather give someone else the chance who is more likely to repay our faith. We offered Clevs a platform to rebuild his flat-lining career and he has instead engineered a no-lose situation for himself where we will probably end up being the fools.

I will be happy to be proved wrong of course.

• Like 1

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/09/04/stats-how-does-cleverley-compare-to-aston-villas-starting-centra/?utm_medium=share%2Bbutton&utm_campaign=social%2Bmedia&utm_content=/en-gb/2014/09/04/stats-how-does-cleverley-compare-to-aston-villas-starting-centra/&utm_source=Twitter

Ultimately, Cleverley is far from guaranteed spot in Paul Lambert's starting lineup, despite his United credentials, but it's clear that he has the ability to contribute to the squad, even if only on a rotational basis.

Whether that would be enough to convince the club to hand over the reported fee it would take to keep him in the midlands for good remains to be seen, but his form during the first-half of the season will no doubt be crucial towards determining where his future lies.

In an ideal world, you should be picked on merit, not reputation, but that is down to opinion and the only opinion that matters is the managers

It is at every club

The managers........They live and die by it.

So, my take on it:

Frankly, I don't like it one bit. Cleverley did not want to join us on a permanent basis, and if accounts are to be believed messed us and Lambert around with the 11th hour Everton bid. Now that on it's own doesn't wind me up too much - Everton & Martinez are clearly a more attractive prospect to Clevs for a number of reasons.

However, having shown a substantial financial commitment (£8 mil) and personal interest in him as a player, we're now left in the perverse situation where the better he does for us, the less likely he will ever be our player - especially given the fact that he or Utd can cancel the loan in January (I predict a flurry of bids if he plays remotely well).

I get that all loan moves entail an element of this sort of thing, but this situation just feels strange and I would rather give someone else the chance who is more likely to repay our faith. We offered Clevs a platform to rebuild his flat-lining career and he has instead engineered a no-lose situation for himself where we will probably end up being the fools.

I will be happy to be proved wrong of course.

But... the better he does, the better we do..... If he does really well and then leaves because a bigger team comes in for him, then **** it. We had a good player for a year. if he doesn't do well, then **** it. Thank **** we didn't buy him. If he does alright and wants to move here then let's see. Either way the situation doesn't really change. Benefit/risk of the deal was weighed up and here we are with a player that people are slightly afraid might improve us too much....

i totally agree that its an odd one, its a situation where again, the club could get shat on!

but, on the other hand, if he enjoys his season here and wants to stay beyond that, and utd dont recall him in january, we could get him for a very discounted price, but itll mean utd wont want to do business with us again, unless for an extortionate fee

however, another possibility is, that everton make an improved bid in january (over £8m) which would then entice utd to recall him and sell him to the 'tons on 31st of jan

I think the thing people are missing is that it's much better to get him on loan for a season than to waste £8m on him and be stuck with him forever. At least this way we can assess him properly and put in a sensible bid/contract offer for him when he's on a free next summer if we want. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

I think the thing people are missing is that it's much better to get him on loan for a season than to waste £8m on him and be stuck with him forever. At least this way we can assess him properly and put in a sensible bid/contract offer for him when he's on a free next summer if we want.

We haven't done this to assess him and get him cheaper. It happened because his agent messed us around and it was late when the deal was back on.

I'd imagine everything is in place for us to pay the agreed price in january to make it a permanent deal.

I think the thing people are missing is that it's much better to get him on loan for a season than to waste £8m on him and be stuck with him forever. At least this way we can assess him properly and put in a sensible bid/contract offer for him when he's on a free next summer if we want.

I'd imagine everything is in place for us to pay the agreed price in january to make it a permanent deal.

That would be a bit daft as we could sign him up to a pre contract in Jan for nothing.

We haven't done this to assess him and get him cheaper. It happened because his agent messed us around and it was late when the deal was back on.

Ah yes.. Probably have him mostly paid for in principle with the loan fee and have a fee of a couple hundred grand agreed that we can pay in January to complete the deal. Didn't think of that. Ho hum

That would be a bit daft as we could sign him up to a pre contract in Jan for nothing.

But then we wouldn't have him now. 

United didn't want to loan him out, they wanted to sell him. We wanted to buy him. It appears as though that has happened, when the money is paid is completely irrelevant. 

Jesus. NO WE CANT. ONLY FOREIGN CLUBS CAN SIGN PRE-CONTACTS WITH PLAYERS IN JANUARY Edited by P3te

Â