Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

I think it's almost all but a done deal for January. We just postponed the same deal we had in mind for August to get it done in January as it all took too long with the dealings before September 1st. I'd guess that injuries is the only possible stumbling block for him to become a permanent Villa player in January. The loan deal was just a quick fix so he could come to us before the window closed. Or, as it turned out, just right after the window had closed. Just the feeling I get from the facts that united wanted to sell and we wanted to buy, but as things happened, that deal couldn't be done in time.

• Like 1

Personally I think this is a done deal, permanent transfer, but we had to push it through as a loan in order to get it approved by the FA after the deadline.

Everton pulled out because they only wanted a loan and Utd wanted a transfer, so it makes no sense for them to then loan to us.

A loan pushes it through now, but we've agreed to match the valuation which will officially go through in January, for the purposes of paperwork.

Hoping that Cleverley's agent was the greedy one holding out for more money, and when it transpired he'd cocked up and he was left stuck at Utd for another season he forced his agent to revive the deal.

That's my hope anyway.

• Like 2

A lot of speculation here, all in our favor of course. If Cleverley plays well and if Everton still wants him next summer, he would go there 10 out of 10 times over us. That's just how it has become I'm afraid. Saying that, I think they can attract better players and he wouldn't get into their current team.

• Like 1

A lot of speculation here, all in our favor of course. If Cleverley plays well and if Everton still wants him next summer, he would go there 10 out of 10 times over us. That's just how it has become I'm afraid. Saying that, I think they can attract better players and he wouldn't get into their current team.

Why would he leave a club in a champions league spot for a midtable team??  :D

if it's not already set and done, which I find highly likely. I'd be very surprised if he isn't a Villa player come the end of this season. It's not about him chosing us over everton next summer, but us getting an agreement with him and manure now.

I'm sure these 'agreements' between clubs still require the players agreement. Even if we've agreed a 'loan with buy option' with Man Utd, Cleverley could have a great season and say "I don't accept Villa's contract offer", then just go somewhere else for free.

• Like 1

If he had already accepted then I suspect it would already have been a permanent deal that was wiating to be rubber stamped (we'd been in talks with him long enough).  My view (for what it's worth) is that we haven't agreed things with Cleverley as he is keeping his options open, hence it was a loan deal with us agreeing a transfer fee wit Man U now if we managed to make it permanent in Jan.

Cleverley would be nuts to agree terms with anyone in January unless they are negotiating on the basis he is a free agent (whic his what he will be 4 or 5 months later).  If that's the case we should negotiate on that basis with him and tie him in after his contract.  of course we then run the risk of being gazumped but if you were Cleverely would you negotiate your next 4 years' worth of wages on the basis of a club paying a 7-8m fee or would you think, hang on i'll wait 4 months and negotiate with no fee required, higher wages and a nice (not so) little signing on fee.  Everyone's a winner but ManU.

The only way it doesn't work for Cleverley is if he is shocking for the next 6 months and no one wants him.  You show me a footballer who believes in himself that little and i'll show you a footballer now working on a building site.  They all rate themselves to do well, it's in their DNA.

Add to that the fact that if he doesn't want to agree a move anywhere in january i doubt Man U will want him back (just to pay his last 4-5 months wages - unless its pure spite) so he'd likely be here for the season which means he plays a full season and isn't out of the spotlight for potential suitors. Even if he was recalled he only has 4 months to the end of the season.  Hardly gonna get many splinters or

Cleverley - Win/Win

Villa - potential Win/Win

ManU -  Lose

Cleverley played a more advanced role at Wigan to decent effect. 

CNZ hasn't been delivering, not easy after such a long time out, but given he's not performing I expect Cleverley to replace him and I also expect him to be playing a more advanced role for us rather than playing in the centre. 

Cleverley played a more advanced role at Wigan to decent effect. 

CNZ hasn't been delivering, not easy after such a long time out, but given he's not performing I expect Cleverley to replace him and I also expect him to be playing a more advanced role for us rather than playing in the centre. 

Cleverley and N'Zog had a decent link up at Wigan.

I still think we would be mad to pay any money for him in Jan if we could get him for nothing in the summer

I think the thing people are missing is that it's much better to get him on loan for a season than to waste £8m on him and be stuck with him forever. At least this way we can assess him properly and put in a sensible bid/contract offer for him when he's on a free next summer if we want.

I'd imagine everything is in place for us to pay the agreed price in january to make it a permanent deal.

That would be a bit daft as we could sign him up to a pre contract in Jan for nothing.

As mentioned by others, he could only sign a pre contract with foreign teams.

Although that's not to say he couldn't Unofficially agree something with a premier league club. Though against the rules, I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Apologies.

I still think we would be mad to pay a fee in January when we could pick him up for nothing in the summer. Assuming another club doesn't come in for him in the meantime.

But that's the point.

We wouldn't get him for nothing in the summer.

Even if he was available right now on a free we wouldn't get him. Everton or someone else like that would offer hi mhigher wages.

If he has a good season for us then there's even less chance.

The option isn't get him for a fee in January or for nothing in summer.

It's get him for a fee in January, or don't get him.

Me too Sam, he played there for Wigan and Watford on loan. Also, I'm sure I've seen him pop up in advanced positions for Man Utd in the last few years.

I'd go for a 4-4-2 diamond midfield, with Cleverley at the tip of the diamond, or even a 4-3-3 with him in a wide forward position. He has the energy and passing to fit in there, and his shooting can't be much worse than that of N'Zogbia/ Weimann/ Gabby when they play wide.

Poor Tom,

Some choice comments from his Premier League Q&A on Twitter today:

"Do you think Villa will survive relegation now that you have arrived with your sideways and backwards passing?"

"What's it like knowing a completely new set of fans are going to hate the way you play football?"

and the old classic

"Why are you so shit mate?"

Reminds me of the Going Live 5Star phone in!

Â