Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

Sorry but this time last summer if you would have said we'd be signing Tom Cleverley then I would imagine most of the Villa fan base would have been delighted

Edited by Richard
  • Like 4

Sorry but this time last summer if you would have said we'd be signing Tom Cleverley then I would imagine most of the Villa fan base would have been delighted

I'll be delighted if/when he can feed Tekkers, score some goals and help us climb the table. I honestly will. But I am going on games I have seen him in before where he has struggled terribly. I'm BEGGING for him to be a success, he could be exactly what we need.

He's a Villa player.  A player the manager wanted and a player other teams wanted.  he plays for us now in a key position that we need.  That is all you need to know

Quite.

I'll judge him on performances on the pitch for us not what has gone before at United, what some talking heads on Talksport come out with or any of the various dubious rumours and claims being repeated as if they are factual.

I can't wait for the international break to be over and for us to get back to playing games.

This is ok, but isn't it how teams scout and find players? The whole point of buying a player is to look at what they have done and could do. Otherwise we'd just be buying random players for the sake of it and there would be no scouts?

Yeah but we aren't scouts in either sense of the word. :)

The way I see it is that Lambert has identified him as a player able to improve us based on what he has seen to date. I'm not too bothered personally with his performances for United or what Man United fans say about him. It is what happens moving forward that I'm bothered about and on which I'll judge him.

I'm not saying clubs or managers should be bothered about past performances of players but I think we collectively as fans, all fans, not just Villa fans get too hung up on the performance of players before they arrive at their club.

If past performance was always an accurate indicator of future performances some players would never get a transfer :)

He looks terrified, what did Keane do to him?

Its not that, he is just having a Unsworth moment....

(Joke and one for those with long memories)

• Like 1

He's a Villa player.  A player the manager wanted and a player other teams wanted.  he plays for us now in a key position that we need.  That is all you need to know

Quite.

I'll judge him on performances on the pitch for us not what has gone before at United, what some talking heads on Talksport come out with or any of the various dubious rumours and claims being repeated as if they are factual.

I can't wait for the international break to be over and for us to get back to playing games.

This is ok, but isn't it how teams scout and find players? The whole point of buying a player is to look at what they have done and could do. Otherwise we'd just be buying random players for the sake of it and there would be no scouts?

The way I see it is that Lambert has identified him as a player able to improve us based on what he has seen to date. I'm not too bothered personally with his performances for United or what Man United fans say about him. It is what happens moving forward that I'm bothered about and on which I'll judge him.

I'm not saying clubs or managers should be bothered about past performances of players but I think we collectively as fans, all fans, not just Villa fans get too hung up on the performance of players before they arrive at their club.

If past performance was always an accurate indicator of future performances some players would never get a transfer :)

Well, the past performances of our duds have stopped them getting transfers :(

My main issues with Cleverley were the reported wages and the reported fee (I think 7/8m is about 3m overpriced), but at the same time there are transfers which are way way overpriced happening this season.

I think I struggle with the amounts players go for and get paid. I can't see the value when players are getting sold for much more than they would have done a few years back. Also, I recognise that not many players have left OT and been a success.

£5m and 40k p/w and I would bite United's hands off. Again, maybe I need to accept that high prices is where it's at now (thanks to the new TV deal).

Edited by dodgyknees

So, can anyone clear up as to why it's being reported that we have a £7.5m option in January, when he can sign for any club he wants on pre-contract? Why would we pay £7.5m when we can continue our season long loan and sign him on a contract for free?

You can only sign for foreign clubs on a pre contact in January

So, can anyone clear up as to why it's being reported that we have a £7.5m option in January, when he can sign for any club he wants on pre-contract? Why would we pay £7.5m when we can continue our season long loan and sign him on a contract for free?

You can only sign for foreign clubs on a pre contact in January

I think we have to think of it like this.

If we take up the option, it's essentially like saying "let's all pretend that we bought him in the summer". So we pay what we would have paid this window if it had gone through and he's permanently ours instead of a loan.

Whereas if this was a loan without an option, and we let it go until he was on a free, he'd be able to join anybody on a free and if he'd had a good season with us we'd probably get priced out of it.

So it's all well and good saying "Why are we paying for him when we could get him for free?", but in the only scenario where we'd want him permanently, i.e. he'd done well for us, then he'd PROBABLY end up somewhere else if he was available for free.

We're paying for the exclusivity, essentially.

• Like 1

Quite.

My main issues with Cleverley were the reported wages and the reported fee (I think 7/8m is about 3m overpriced), but at the same time there are transfers which are way way overpriced happening this season.

I think I struggle with the amounts players go for and get paid. I can't see the value when players are getting sold for much more than they would have done a few years back. Also, I recognise that not many players have left OT and been a success.

£5m and 40k p/w and I would bite United's hands off. Again, maybe I need to accept that high prices is where it's at now (thanks to the new TV deal).

So you're not happy with the parts of the deal none of the media really know what they are reporting about?

Quite.

So you're not happy with the parts of the deal none of the media really know what they are reporting about?

I'd rather get my information from the media sources (who are mainly on the same page), than from twitter or social media. The only reason the sources are being denied is because we are not happy with the information they are giving, so it's easier to say it isn't real. Next time they report something positive, our fans will be all over it.

Song now in my head. Swine.

Sorry. :lol:

I have no idea of the context of that gif and as far as I'm aware I've never heard the song.

Trust me, don't listen to it!

Can't find any answer to my question so I ask again, anyone know what number he will be wearing?

I would assume 8.

Yeah, I thought he'd get 9, which made me break out in a cold sweat remembering Steven Ireland's first season. Then I remembered KEA had left, so he could have 8.

Â