Tom Fox

Cracker1234

Is it out of the question that he'll be getting a percentage of the fee received for the sale of the club? I've read that at sha they've got three people working on a sale of that club, pannu, yeung's Greek Brother in law plus another guy and whoever broker's the deal gets 10%. Although that scenario can course it's own problems.

I like the fact that he comes with a sports connection, be it in a contractual sense or wharever. That was Faulkners let down.

However, if its a challenge he wants, then he's come to the right place.

• Like 1

Im slughtly confused how a man from arsenal would leave them for us soecially when you look at the 2 clubs and where they are both on and off the pitch. Im convinced something is going on behind the scenes regarding a takeover. It could also be that lerner might and i say might try and get villa competing and give lambert a huge warchest in the near future.

• Like 1

I knew we were after someone for the role and I knew that person was from another club as I think I posted previously, I didn't have a clue who though and this chap is a bit of a surprise.

Recruiting someone from one of the big boys, even if they aren't the top guy is always going to be seen as a bit of a coup irrespective of the fact only a very small number of people will know if the guy is any good or not. It is though probably safe to assume that the top commercial guy at one of the most commercially successful clubs in the country is pretty good at his job although selling Arsenal as a brand is a damn sight easier than selling us.

Putting aside what we don't know about him and focusing on what we do know, we know he is a commercial/financial man and not a 'football' man. So his experience is with dealing with commercial agreements not player transfers or agents although there will certainly be transferable skills between the two.

That is to me quite telling, we've gone for someone who though working in a football environment is all about commercial profitability so I can't see this as being anything other than an appointment to try and assist in the sale of the club. He has opted for someone to try and increase our revenue not someone to run the football side of the business better, although to some extent the two things are linked.

So I see this appointment or potential appointment as being confirmation that he is still looking to sell, that no deal is remotely close and that he hasn't changed his mind and decided to retain ownership. 

I know there are rumours elsewhere that the club is sold but I do not believe that to be the case and I think this is appointment supports that. 

Edit - What I should perhaps add, is that in the context of where we are currently I think its a good appointment and I rarely think that when Randy is appointing people.

Sure he does have background from financial work, and he's been chief commercial officer for Arsenal, but I'd imagine he'd learn quite a bit about football while working for football club. I don't think he comes as green as Faulkner to the job when he took it.

Interesting to hear him talking about the club's style of football being one of the key parts of attracting a more global fan base, along with winning games and association with big brands.

Edited by useless

If he's coming to help sell the club is he not joining to try and speed the process in which his position will then come under review?  That doesn't make much sense to me.

Depends on timescales doesn't it not to mention any financial incentives on offer for doing so.

Anyway, its just my opinion time will tell.

Yeah I guess we don't know what he's been offered or what his thinking is behind the move.  It just seems strange to leave a job at a huge club, where he is getting a lot of credit and is obviously well thought of, to join a club that is openly up for sale and could see him replaced within as little as 12 months.

He's gone from the guy who arranges the teams shirt sponsor to the head of a whole club. Of course he's going to jump at that. It would be like offering Arsenal's fitness trainer the job of Aston Villa manager, he'd be mad to turn it down. 

• Like 3

If he's coming to help sell the club is he not joining to try and speed the process in which his position will then come under review?  That doesn't make much sense to me.

Depends on timescales doesn't it not to mention any financial incentives on offer for doing so.

Anyway, its just my opinion time will tell.

Yeah I guess we don't know what he's been offered or what his thinking is behind the move.  It just seems strange to leave a job at a huge club, where he is getting a lot of credit and is obviously well thought of, to join a club that is openly up for sale and could see him replaced within as little as 12 months.

He's gone from the guy who arranges the teams shirt sponsor to the head of a whole club. Of course he's going to jump at that. It would be like offering Arsenal's fitness trainer the job of Aston Villa manager, he'd be mad to turn it down. 

I'd agree if the club wasn't openly up for sale.  

Edited by DCJonah

Sure he does have background from financial work, and he's been chief commercial officer for Arsenal, but I'd imagine he'd learn quite a bit about football while working for football club. I don't think he comes as green as Faulkner to the job when he took it.

No I agree with you there.

• Like 1

A thought raised by another member on another forum: Will tickets get more expensive with him at the helm? arsenal's tickets are the most expensive in the whol league, IIRC, and ours are the second cheapest. Of course he'll have tom "sell" the club first, but then...?

Doubt it, he will assess the catchment area, employment rates etc before even touching ticket prices, plus he will know we do not sell out on a regular basis. At Arsenal there is a huge demand for tickets so easier to sell at high prices.

Yes, I would have thought basic supply and demand dictate that Arsenals tickets are very expensive but ours are cheaper. 

Well, of course. That's what I meant with "sell the club", meaning making it bigger, bring the crowd back to VP. But if he's successive in that, maybe he'll up the prices. But that would mean us being more successive too, which most probably will see as worth it. Anyway, it was just a thought. :)

And I'm catiously excited about these news.

I've made this excellent point twice already but maybe he's here to help sell the club by making it more valuable  to foreign markets and as part of the deal has been promised a small percentage from the fee received from the sale of the club. Maybe that percentage goes up the more Randy receives for the club, that would be a big financial incentive to leave Arsenal.

Edited by useless

What he says about in terms of digital content is awesome., he's right on the forefront of digital marketing by the sounds of it. I would think just by implementing the model he put in place at Arsenal in opening up and pushing out AVFC digital content as far as wide as possible will draw people to the club's image worldwide. In immediate revenue terms you'll prob see a spike in ad impressions on the site, longer term though that kind of jump in awareness of who we are globally will reap much. much bigger rewards. 

If he has been brought in with potential new owners' approval it would make me think that there might be some far east involvement given tapping into that area seems to be one of strong points and even if it's all Randy's choice Mr Fox might be what we need to get that region really buzzing about Aston VIlla and who knows what next.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

I think this is a long overdue appointment to be honest as I don't think we have a long term plan which this new guy goes on about a lot for attracting long term sponsors. Welcome Mr Fox. Maybe this guy means that Lerner can slightly step back from the daily calls from Faulkner and Lambert who probably needed thier hands holding.

I also think that Lerner has had a huge change of stategy over the past few weeks, I think he has realised that there is no prospective buyer out there willing to meet his asking price whilst the club is seemingly on it's downers. I think maybe ML/BOA have advised that he needs to raise the profile and raise the potential of the club before serious investors will be interested akin to applying a fresh coat of paint to a house you are trying to sell. Not many people want to pay top dollar for a tumble down 'project', people only pay top dollar for a finished slick product.

This explains the additional funds, the appointment of Keane and now the appointment of a new CEO. These are not short term stategies but plans which could take years to put in place, maybe Lerner would want to keep a more successful club that was self funding?

• Like 1

Â