Tom Fox

Cracker1234

I imagine the football world is a bit of a closed shop. TF had probably come across TS before, knew what he was getting and what we wanted/needed. 

So, you're both right. There were many other managers available, TF was only interested in one.

Too easy?

Whether Tom Fox looked at 200 managers or only looked at Sherwood doesn't matter. What does matter is he gets the choice right and so far that seems to be the case. Personally I believe he looked around for a plan B in the case of PL not working out and with time constraints knowing any change would have to be swift. So I believe he's done everything correctly. What will stand him out and enhance his reputation is getting big sponsorship deals and the continued success of Sherwood. To me he seems a smart operator and when he's talked about us has set out a proper plan of what we want to achieve and more importantly how we will. Things are finally looking up enjoy it whilst we can!

I actually think the plan (from either Fox or Lerner) was to stick with Lambert - But after Hull it became obvious that to do so was suicide. we couldn't afford to get into protracted negiotations with anyone - which made TS the obvious choice to his credit TF got it done swiftly. I still have doubts about TS long term - but keeping us up and getting to a cup final would certainly be a good start.

• Like 1

I think Lerner wanted to stick with Lambert, I think Fox wanted to replace him for some time hence Sherwood being at VP prior to Lamberts dismissal. Thats just my opinion of course. It doesn't really matter now anyway, the decision was made and it was a bloody good one

• Like 4

Lerner is a very loyal man is was a bad thing with Lambert but a good thing with keeping Delph. As CEO you have to look at worst case scenarios and prepare for them. If you read about how Southampton have a succession plan in place it's very impressive. If the manager leaves today for what ever reason you know the options available. I think in Fox we have a CEO like that and seeing the recruitment approach is changing I think this proves that. We are building a club on solid foundations for once and Fox will be key.

• Like 2

Good interview with Tom Fox in the Grauniad today:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/30/aston-villa-tom-fox-chief-executive-randy-lerner-fa-cup-final

Some interesting remarks...

Pointing to the financial fair play rules introduced in 2013, Fox says it is misguided to think a wealthy benefactor could replace Lerner and transform Villa’s fortunes. “Even if he wanted to, an owner could not come in under the current financial regime that exists within the Premier League and invest as much money as Randy has in the club. It wouldn’t be allowed any more because of the profitability and sustainability rules.

“So if Randy decides to sell the club in the future, no matter who comes in, the plan will most likely be the same because you can’t come in and spend money on players the way clubs used to in the Premier League."

Fox believes that Villa can increase their commercial revenue streams by £8m-£10m per year and he goes on to produce a remarkable statistic to support his theory that the club should aim to be the best of the rest outside the top six.

“That’s exactly where we belong and I’ll tell you why,” he says. “Compare Aston Villa in terms of global viewers who watch our matches to every other club in European football, excluding the top six in the Premier League, and where do you think we rank? Third. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Aston Villa. More people watched Aston Villa on a global basis last year than would have seen Bayern Munich. That’s the power of the Premier League.”

This one I found a bit annoying though...

“Look, I think the problem is people lately think of Villa as a club fighting relegation and being 15th or 16th. I look at Villa and see a club that should be seventh, eighth or ninth in the Premier League on a perennial basis, and that’s what we’re all trying to do, put the club in a place where that’s possible.

We should be 7th, 8th or 9th? Hmm. While I accept that reaching the top 4 is a big ask, I can't accept that we can't be aiming to compete with Liverpool and Spurs. Especially Spurs!

• Like 1

he is being realistic.. and quite optimistic after the last few years.. if he said top 4 everyone would laugh at him and mock him like we did with the General

• Like 1

Wow - its enough to make you walk to villa park on your hands and buy 10 season tickets !

Same old same old - recycled spin - (i know one poster who will be impressed though !)

Wow - its enough to make you walk to villa park on your hands and buy 10 season tickets !

Same old same old - recycled spin - (i know one poster who will be impressed though !)

What's spin about it?

What's spin about it?

OK perhaps not spin.

But he really hasn't said anything has he ?

Theres not one change, initative, or any real reason why next season the club will be any different to what it is now ?

What's spin about it?

OK perhaps not spin.

Theres not one change, initative, or any real reason why next season the club will be any different to what it is now ?

Really? He mentions increasing revenue by £10m a season that's a massive initiative Having Sherwood as a manger and aiming to be the best of the rest is a massive change to where we are now. I think you can say that to achieve top 10 they'll have to be investment so I'm not sure what you want him to say. He's outlined what he wants to do and how he aims to raise revenues to help us do it isn't that his job in a nutshell?

What's spin about it?

OK perhaps not spin.

Really? He mentions increasing revenue by £10m a season that's a massive initiative Having Sherwood as a manger and aiming to be the best of the rest is a massive change to where we are now. I think you can say that to achieve top 10 they'll have to be investment so I'm not sure what you want him to say. He's outlined what he wants to do and how he aims to raise revenues to help us do it isn't that his job in a nutshell?

I read about increasing revenue - I missed the bit about how this was going to happen

Doug always used to aspire to us being champions - without ever putting anything in place to make it happen. TF is aiming for 7th (no problem with that) - but other than saying it - whats he doing to make it happen ?

Sherwood as manager - well somebody has to be the manager - and TF would probably say the same about any manager.

If its a new dawn for you then great - personally I am expecting us to be much where we are now in 12 months time...

What's spin about it?

OK perhaps not spin.

I read about increasing revenue - I missed the bit about how this was going to happen

Doug always used to aspire to us being champions - without ever putting anything in place to make it happen. TF is aiming for 7th (no problem with that) - but other than saying it - whats he doing to make it happen ?

Sherwood as manager - well somebody has to be the manager - and TF would probably say the same about any manager.

If its a new dawn for you then great - personally I am expecting us to be much where we are now in 12 months time...

Did you also miss the bit about our global audience? We are the 9th most watch team in the world even more so than Bayern! That's a fact that'll sway sponsorship. It's simple we increase revenue streams and get better deals than currently added into the new TV money means we can invest more in the team. Add that to a manager who on his form granted it's a limited time would see us top 10 you can see there's hope to be had. Every new manager is a new dawn only time will tell if it's a false one so I'd enjoy this while you can rather than waiting for disaster then being happy you was right!

Sell Benteke for £30m if the clause is true

naming rights for the stadium

increased commercial revenue

TV money

Glory hunter season tickets after we win the FA cup

Ok i'd rather we kept Benteke  , but potentially there is a big war chest available to get players in with and still keep to FFP

The table below is slightly skewed as we gave away far too many of our players over that 5 year period compared to say Southampton ,Spurs or Arsenal but it does show that with the correct sell \ buy policy and the right manager clubs can put themselves in that top 6 -8 position  ..and in some cases even push for 5th

post-75-0-73986900-1430483950_thumb.jpg

clicky

Edited by blandy

What's spin about it?

OK perhaps not spin.

Did you also miss the bit about our global audience? We are the 9th most watch team in the world even more so than Bayern! That's a fact that'll sway sponsorship. It's simple we increase revenue streams and get better deals than currently added into the new TV money means we can invest more in the team. Add that to a manager who on his form granted it's a limited time would see us top 10 you can see there's hope to be had. Every new manager is a new dawn only time will tell if it's a false one so I'd enjoy this while you can rather than waiting for disaster then being happy you was right!

Yes I did read that. - But I wouldn't agree with your assumption that it will lead to massivley bigger sponsorhip deals - if we suddenley start announcing ground breaking deals - then I hold up my hands and congratulate TF - but I didn't see any such announcements. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up to much about us being the 9th most watched club in the world. Im sure its true by some measure - but in practice it doesn't mean we will be rubbing shoulders with Bayern any time soon.  [all IMO of course]

What's spin about it?

OK perhaps not spin.

Yes I did read that. - But I wouldn't agree with your assumption that it will lead to massivley bigger sponsorhip deals - if we suddenley start announcing ground breaking deals - then I hold up my hands and congratulate TF - but I didn't see any such announcements. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up to much about us being the 9th most watched club in the world. Im sure its true by some measure - but in practice it doesn't mean we will be rubbing shoulders with Bayern any time soon.  [all IMO of course]

Too set in your ways to acknowledge or appreciate any change the club makes. You've made your bed and will lie in it, being negative regardless of what happens.

• Like 3

Given the fact the club has been run awfully for most of Lerner's time here. And the last 5 years are easily the worst run of seasons in my lifetime and that the only official word from the owner is he wants out and has lost interest, I'll go by the actions of the club not what's said.

Let's see what our spending is like this summer compared to teams we will be against for a top half spot.

It all sounds good but we've been here before and its resulted in shit.

What's spin about it?

OK perhaps not spin.

Too set in your ways to acknowledge or appreciate any change the club makes. You've made your bed and will lie in it, being negative regardless of what happens.

Wheres the change ?

Given the fact the club has been run awfully for most of Lerner's time here. And the last 5 years are easily the worst run of seasons in my lifetime and that the only official word from the owner is he wants out and has lost interest, I'll go by the actions of the club not what's said.

Let's see what our spending is like this summer compared to teams we will be against for a top half spot.

It all sounds good but we've been here before and its resulted in shit.

Sadly .....this

Â