What sort of season would it take for you to get behind the manager again?

Woody1000

I'm behind the manager and the team. The time for sacking him has gone so he'll get my full support but for it to stay that way he needs to improve the way we play. Our home form is the single biggest thing though that needs to be addressed even before performances. We need to have a go and get results sounds easy!!

We have to show a progression on the pitch. We have to have an identity about the way we play. His tactics have to positively affect the team. He has to learn from previous mistakes and not make them over and over again. He has to drop players who are his favourites if they aren't playing well. If I start seeing those then he will go up in my estimation.

• Like 1

My faith In Lambert has never waivered. I trusted him to rebuild from the foundations and always recognised it would take time. His job has been made harder by the restrictions placed on him. He's uncovered one or two gems as well so I hope he's around for a little while yet.

• Like 1

We need to stop losing 10 games a season at home. That's just unacceptable to me. I don't expect or ask for miracles, but a reasonable home record is essential.

I don't want him out, I don't blame him for everything, but the team and club need to perform way better than the past 4 seasons. He has my good wishes and support.

• Like 4

I'm glad to see that this has mainly been a positive thread. I mainly raised the question as it seemed from most other threads that most fans had given up on him.

For the record, I'm behind PL and want him to succeed as I feel for all the mistakes he has made, he has been having to do this job with one hand tied behind his back.

UTV!

We need to stop losing 10 games a season at home. That's just unacceptable to me. I don't expect or ask for miracles, but a reasonable home record is essential.

I don't want him out, I don't blame him for everything, but the team and club need to perform way better than the past 4 seasons. He has my good wishes and support.

This

I want us to go out on the pitch and actually look like we have a gameplan and the players haven't met for the first time that morning

1) Lose 7 or fewer home games in the league. 

2) Avoid the relegation battle. 

3) Make appropriate substitutions at appropriate times - don't bring on an attacking midfielder in the 89th minute when we've been behind for 80 minutes, don't bring on defenders when we're losing etc. 

4) Oversee some exciting football, some good games and some good goals. Last year we were just dull. 

5) Finish in the top 13. 

If all of those are achieved, he'll have done well, maybe even really well. If any of them are achieved, it would be an improvement on last season. If none of them are achieved, we need to find someone else who can. The job may be difficult, but it's not impossible. People saying they feel sorry for him are being over the top - it's his job, he wanted it and he's well compensated for doing it. 

I think it's easy to be fairly calm about the manager at this point on a message board.  I don't think the feelings will be similar from those attending games week in week out, especially if things don't start well.

something near consistency, a team that looks like its what lambert wants where all of them know their roles and what he wants them to do, some sort of identity, at least a look like we are working towards something

at the moment it looks like he doesn't know his best team or how he wants them to play, everything looks a mess and like hard work, even when we are winning we dont look convincing, its made up as it goes along

Yep spot on. Has to have at least a ok home record this year, after the years of shite that have been served up at Villa Park. The ground and the fans deserve better.

I wanted Lambert in but he's been a bit of a disaster in my opinion; you can say he's had his hands tied but to perform as poorly as we have for so long during his tenure is inexcusable. Some of the tactics and effort deployed in games towards the end of last season were a true embarassment to this club and the general feeling of malaise around the club is largely down to him and his approach. At times last season I really felt he was having no effect on the team whatsoever, we may well have had a cardboard cut-out managing the team instead. 

If we have a season that defies expectations I'll get behind him again. I expect we are going to struggle BIG TIME this season, possibly be in the bottom 3 for most of it. So if he can guide us to a mid-table finish, I wouldnt begrudge him getting a new contract.

• Like 1

He has undoubtedly had a difficult fist of it....but we cannot keep throwing up the " get out of jail card"

even within his own standards the players need to improve.

If the manager cannot go out and spend unlimited funds on top players, that is not his fault.

but if players that he has bought do not get better within themselves or their performances are retrograde that responsibility lies with him.....there must be a clear distinction, between the 2 scenario's

Eyes will be on Paul Lambert this season...The home record needs to be improved and the ease with which we concede must be eradicated.

To play smash and grab football away from home could be deemed as prudent.....To play it at home is desperate....we must learn to control good portions of the game at home.

• Like 1

I still have faith. He's had a tough ride and I'd like to see him with some funds behind him to show what he can do when he's not being held back. Better home record, better defending and more than anything I wanna see some fight and passion instilled in the players.

His contract is up at the end of the season right?

For me he at least has to win a trophy and finish safely mid table (or invent a cure for cancer) to warrant a new contract.

Hopefully we'll have a new owner and manager sooner rather than later

Â