Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

Just now, Anthony said:

There were 8 episodes. After enduring the first 6 which were dull as ****, with nothing to care about in any of the characters, does it all come together in the last 2 episodes? Is the Mandalorian character suddenly interesting? Are the scripts suddenly better than those written by me aged 13? Are the plots suddenly better than Barbara Cartland? Is the cinematography suddenly better than Crossroads? 

If not, I'll pass thanks. 

hell **** yes, no, no, no. no

it is worth finishing just for the great end but i agree, my earlier description of it was its not good TV and I stand by it, I think boba fett is exactly the same, I don't like the way it comes together, I really don't like how every other episode revisits an old side character, there's enough individual bits to keep it going but as a series as a package its average at best and BF was outright poor, so far after 3 episodes obi wan is hovering around average too, there's just something about all of them where they're not must watch for me, I wont watch the new obi wan until probably Sunday night I'm in no rush for it

That ending to Kenobi made negative sense to me

Spoiler

1) if the objective is to get Kenobi and Reva has such a hard-on for capturing him then surely you don't need to let him escape just to track him again especially when he is inside your nearly impenetrable fortress where you control the variables

2) why would Kenobi not just take Leia and her robot/tracker straight back to Alderaan where she would be safe and guarded and not back to presumably Jabiim to give away the rebels' location - it made sense tracking them back to Yavin but they have no need to do that here as he is just there to get her safe and home 

3) why would Reva expect Obi-Wan to come for Leia any time soon as he was seriously injured and burnt in the last episode or for that point even f***ing know where the Inquisitors base is

4) if there is some sort of tracker on Leias robot then how hasn't she noticed it? Reva hasn't f***ng hacked it for Gods sake and if she had Leia instantly would have twigged that her pet robot was acting strange

5) the other Inquisitors didn't disarm Reva and take her for questioning even after she allegedly messed up and let a Jedi escape with a prisoner she was interrogating 

6) Tala didn't need to engage Reva directly as a "distraction" she quite literally could have set off an alarm remotely down in the detention level

7) How did they get so close to the exit with Leia literally underneath Obi-Wans coat? He looked like Austin Powers on Mini-Mes shoulders

I still enjoyed it but come on

Wasn't that impressed by the latest episode. Felt lacking in suspense and obviously lots of sound stage filming.

I did see an Interesting comment regards th

Spoiler

Part 1: childhood fun, traps to catch Jedi, people in need pleading help (The Phantom Menace)

Part 2: Detective Kenobi, protect the Princess, misdirects (Attack of the Clones)

Part 3: Jedi escaping, Empire wins, Vader v Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)

Part 4:  Rescue the Princess, infiltration, escape and get tracked, more hopeful, recruiting rebels (A New Hope)

e series so far on Youtube-

10 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Wasn't that impressed by the latest episode. Felt lacking in suspense and obviously lots of sound stage filming.

I did see an Interesting comment regards th

Hide contents

Part 1: childhood fun, traps to catch Jedi, people in need pleading help (The Phantom Menace)

Part 2: Detective Kenobi, protect the Princess, misdirects (Attack of the Clones)

Part 3: Jedi escaping, Empire wins, Vader v Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)

Part 4:  Rescue the Princess, infiltration, escape and get tracked, more hopeful, recruiting rebels (A New Hope)

e series so far on Youtube-

I also got a ‘New Hope’ vibe from the scenes in the fortress. Was half expecting a garbage compactor at any moment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I also got a ‘New Hope’ vibe from the scenes in the fortress. Was half expecting a garbage compactor at any moment.

Exactly

Pretty darn poor.

If you're a fan of the originals (before the prequels) it makes Obi-Wan's time on the Death Star in ANH seem lees important. This series is stealing its look and stories from that movie so it cheapens everything we grew up watching. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mrchnry said:

Struggling to see the point of the series other than to please the prequel fans. It's all a bit dull so far. 

Its piss poor. 4 episodes on I can't see that it's going to redeem itself.

I wasn't that down on the Mandalorian as some folks and the ending made it worth it. I can't see how this series is going to pull me back in.

The more I learn about these characters and their back stories the less interesting they become. Obviously this is down to poor writing rather than lack of potential stories.

The prequels, the series and the Solo movie all also fail to make a working connection to the original movies and instead create plot holes and inconsistencies instead.

Disney is just churning out content without substance.

29 minutes ago, sne said:

The more I learn about these characters and their back stories the less interesting they become. Obviously this is down to poor writing rather than lack of potential stories.

The prequels, the series and the Solo movie all also fail to make a working connection to the original movies and instead create plot holes and inconsistencies instead.

And yet we all seem to be watching 😁

1 hour ago, sne said:

Retcon;

"Retroactive continuity, or retcon for short, is a literary device in which established diegetic facts in the plot of a fictional work (those established through the narrative itself) are adjusted, ignored, or contradicted by a subsequently published work which breaks continuity with the former"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroactive_continuity

2 hours ago, sne said:

its strange how the star wars team has no balls while the marvel team have too much 

both of them have their problems on disney+ imo

23 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I think JJ and Kurtzman have already Disney'd Star Trek to be fair....

I'm not sure which of the two incredibly high-potential franchises have been treated worse. Star Wars is a lame imitiation of what it could have been, soulless and lacking in much originality. Star Trek is now even worse than that—often needlessly violent, even more stupid than Disney Star Wars at its most stupid (but then I think of Boba Fett and realise—no, they are equally stupid. Discovery/Picard, Boba Fett, Episodes 7-9 are all equally stupid).

JJ Abrams is an idiot and he has idiot friends and between them they've pretty much trashed both franchises alone! Shit mates.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I'm not sure which of the two incredibly high-potential franchises have been treated worse. Star Wars is a lame imitiation of what it could have been, soulless and lacking in much originality. Star Trek is now even worse than that—often needlessly violent, even more stupid than Disney Star Wars at its most stupid (but then I think of Boba Fett and realise—no, they are equally stupid. Discovery/Picard, Boba Fett, Episodes 7-9 are all equally stupid).

JJ Abrams is an idiot and he has idiot friends and between them they've pretty much trashed both franchises alone! Shit mates.

I would say however... I love Star Trek Lower Decks. It's daft and filled to the brim with "In Jokes" but at least it is well written, is plain fun and doesn't try to be something it isn't.

I haven't really seen anything like that with recent Star Wars stuff. Although in fact, I kinda liked The Last Jedi (despite the dubious ending) - it was the only film since 83 that felt even slightly like a Star Wars film to me. And that was the one that JJ didn't take too much control over.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I would say however... I love Star Trek Lower Decks. It's daft and filled to the brim with "In Jokes" but at least it is well written, is plain fun and doesn't try to be something it isn't.

I haven't really seen anything like that with recent Star Wars stuff. Although in fact, I kinda liked The Last Jedi (despite the dubious ending) - it was the only film since 83 that felt even slightly like a Star Wars film to me. And that was the one that JJ didn't take too much control over.

I should try Lower Decks. I watched the first episode of Strange New Worlds and it was OK actually. Maybe a bit dull, but they seemed to be trying to be a bit more like actual Star Trek. They even have a human crew that isn't all generic New York-esque coffee shop Americans, which was a shocker in comparison to Discovery (clearly having a broad cast of different types of people is a core trait of Star Trek).

The Last Jedi though! Obviously, I respect your opinion. The Force Awakens was for me dumb and rubbish but at least the first time I could pretend I enjoyed it (I was wrong—it is so dumb and so rubbish!), for me The Last Jedi was just brutal in its disregard of Star Wars, mainly in how it treated Luke. I get it that it 'tried' to do some original things, but it didn't really do much of it. I guess the pointless Canto Brite thing was—nah I can't. I can't defend it even hypothetically. I could have walked out of that film in the first 10 minutes when, I thing if I remember right, they do a 'your mumma' joke and an X wing pilot pretends to be an answerphone to the Imperial guy on a Star Destroyer. That's the wrong tone for Star Wars for me. Then pretty much every scene afterwards had something as bad too! (all imo of course).

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I should try Lower Decks. I watched the first episode of Strange New Worlds and it was OK actually. Maybe a bit dull, but they seemed to be trying to be a bit more like actual Star Trek. They even have a human crew that isn't all generic New York-esque coffee shop Americans, which was a shocker in comparison to Discovery (clearly having a broad cast of different types of people is a core trait of Star Trek).

The Last Jedi though! Obviously, I respect your opinion. The Force Awakens was for me dumb and rubbish but at least the first time I could pretend I enjoyed it (I was wrong—it is so dumb and so rubbish!), for me The Last Jedi was just brutal in its disregard of Star Wars, mainly in how it treated Luke. I get it that it 'tried' to do some original things, but it didn't really do much of it. I guess the pointless Canto Brite thing was—nah I can't. I can't defend it even hypothetically. I could have walked out of that film in the first 10 minutes when, I thing if I remember right, they do a 'your mumma' joke and an X wing pilot pretends to be an answerphone to the Imperial guy on a Star Destroyer. That's the wrong tone for Star Wars for me. Then pretty much every scene afterwards had something as bad too! (all imo of course).

I watched it a long time after release after having been so annoyed by TFA and maybe my expectations were so low I didn't mind the stupid stuff. I'm not saying it was a great film... But I definitely enjoyed it more than TFA.

Having said that, it didn't make me want to watch ep.IX which I still haven't seen to this day.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I watched it a long time after release after having been so annoyed by TFA and maybe my expectations were so low I didn't mind the stupid stuff. I'm not saying it was a great film... But I definitely enjoyed it more than TFA.

Having said that, it didn't make me want to watch ep.IX which I still haven't seen to this day.

Somehow Episode 9 manages to be the worst one—its plot is like it was written by an AI. It has all the usual JJ Abrams illogical moments but the fake theme-park ride energy he normally slaps the audience around the face with has disappeared completely. It feels like nobody was convinced by that film as they were making it. It's just one big brave face.

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Somehow Episode 9 manages to be the worst one—its plot is like it was written by an AI. It has all the usual JJ Abrams illogical moments but the fake theme-park ride energy he normally slaps the audience around the face with has disappeared completely. It feels like nobody was convinced by that film as they were making it. It's just one big brave face.

Episode 9 shows that it wasn't written as a trilogy, 8 is bad enough but 9 is a shambles, I don't know how anyone thought it was a good idea 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rolta said:

The Last Jedi has great set ups only for Rian Johnsons to constantly go "HA Fooled you!" Wwith constant left field turns in plot that infuriate. The Rise of Skywalker was literally over 2 hours of the cast running around shouting whilst Jar Jar continually swoops the camera from side to side. The opening set up with Kylo/Ben going to confront Palpatine should have been suspenseful with the most evil character in the series being truly sinister but it's beats are wrong and just is a script all over the shop. Not surprised with Chris 'Batman v Superman disaster' Terrio on board along with Jar Jar 'i can rip off 80s films' Abrams.

• Like 1

Â