Star Wars: Disney Era

Ginko

We finished Obi-wan last week.

It's not good. It has good moments but the show is basically 6 episodes of waiting for one particular moment, which was... alright. And the rest of it is so badly written as to be comical.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Fingers crossed on this one. I will say the Kenobi trailer looked good and look how that turned out 

Yeah that's what I meant about the show runners, I'm not sure if they're the right people but to me the disney+ stuff struggles for flow over the course of the whole season, it has moments but they can't seem to get the story to work from one episode to the next they don't build momentum and bounce around all over the place rather than have a proper connection to each other, doesn't feel like a 6 hour long film cut in to 6 x 1 hour episodes, they're just weird how they put them together, they're not good TV 

On 02/08/2022 at 15:45, Tegis said:

So once again we follow a character that we know turns up in later films, hence a guaranteed survivor. Ah well, I'll watch, again.

A prequel can be sublime in the right hands as shown by Vince Gilligan but the chances of this being a "Better Call Maul" are slim .

They should just put every penny they have into The Mandalorian and bin everything else.

6 hours ago, Brumerican said:

A prequel can be sublime in the right hands as shown by Vince Gilligan but the chances of this being a "Better Call Maul" are slim .

They should just put every penny they have into The Mandalorian and bin everything else.

Old Republic

for me it really is that simple, game of thrones set in the old republic, done, blank canvas with new stories and characters, warring parties and political intrigue, if they dont want to to completely new then go Revan and the mandalorian wars 

they've got to stop flirting around the films

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think Disney are doing great with Star Wars 

Ive enjoyed the Obi Wan series we have Andor coming this month 

We have had Mandalorian with a new series coming early next year with the Ashoka series coming mid next year and with a mention of a possible Darth Maul & Master Yoda Series in the future exciting times with Disney.

May The Force Be With You  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villaliver said:

I think Disney are doing great with Star Wars 

Ive enjoyed the Obi Wan series we have Andor coming this month 

We have had Mandalorian with a new series coming early next year with the Ashoka series coming mid next year and with a mention of a possible Darth Maul & Master Yoda Series in the future exciting times with Disney.

May The Force Be With You  

To counter this, for me it's all been pretty pants. The quality of the writing and directing is really disappointing. Obi Wan turned out cheap looking and dumb, and it and the abysmal Boba Fett dented the bit of positivity I had left over from the scattered good bits of the Mandalorian. All my opinion of course, but I don't think Disney have a hope of making anything good. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1

On 12/08/2022 at 14:28, sne said:

Completely accurate! He didn't have time to go into all the shit things in Boba Fett, but he got plenty of them. I like the line at the end, 'Sounds like...content.' That sums Disneywars up nicely.

• Like 2

Just finished Obi-Wan. Found it very meh, overall. Some truly, mindblowingly bad writing and not enough of the fun stuff that makes Star Wars worth watching. Never really gripped me in any way. 

And I’m not one of those who automatically hates every Star Wars thing Disney puts out there. I’ve genuinely enjoyed every minute of Mando, thought Rogue One was fantastic and found at least light entertainment value in the main story trilogy, in spite of all its flaws. The Andor trailers look very promising, too. But Obi-Wan was…dull. And mostly plain bad. I can take bad from a Star Wars product, it’s kind of expected, part of the schtick if you will, but dull? Nah, Star Wars has to be fun to be worth it. 

Obi-wan is astoundingly badly written. The more distance I get from it the worse it is. Its kinda staggering when you think about it. You have a big gap in the story line that's been established. You have your main character. You do have some boundaries you can't cross (you can't kill Obi-wan or Vader for instance), but otherwise you can kinda do whatever. So what they do is spend the entire series building to one moment and the rest of it is absolute trash. It's not even just that's it's badly written - which it is, it's atrocious - but the story it tells is dire.

And the moment it builds to absolutely isn't worth the effort to get there.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

Obi-wan is astoundingly badly written. The more distance I get from it the worse it is. Its kinda staggering when you think about it. You have a big gap in the story line that's been established. You have your main character. You do have some boundaries you can't cross (you can't kill Obi-wan or Vader for instance), but otherwise you can kinda do whatever. So what they do is spend the entire series building to one moment and the rest of it is absolute trash. It's not even just that's it's badly written - which it is, it's atrocious - but the story it tells is dire.

And the moment it builds to absolutely isn't worth the effort to get there.

The plan for it was - Start and End with absolutely nothing having happened. Nothing is different. The key is to introduce a new character who they can have new content around. They did that with Reva.

It's all about producing content for the streaming platform. That's it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2022 at 06:40, Rolta said:

To counter this, for me it's all been pretty pants. The quality of the writing and directing is really disappointing. Obi Wan turned out cheap looking and dumb, and it and the abysmal Boba Fett dented the bit of positivity I had left over from the scattered good bits of the Mandalorian. All my opinion of course, but I don't think Disney have a hope of making anything good. 

Mandalorian is very popular Boba Fett was disappointing Cad Bane at the end was best part Obi-Wan could of been better written but everyone loved seeing Darth Vader again but im sticking to what i saying Ahsoka is coming and other rumoured shows its exciting times 

The problem is because the writing is so bad me saying andor looks good or ashoka sounds good means nothing 

After that it's mando 3 then they've announced skeleton crew which has jude law in it but is about kids, then the acolyte which sounds like a sith centred show in the days of the high republic, rangers of the new Republic which is an x wing pilot show, still showing lando as being made with Donald Glover but I can't see that happening and finally a droid story 

• 3 weeks later...
Â