Finals

limpid

Messi had a damn good tournament to be fair

Have to disagree. Great in the group stages but poor in the crunch games. He wasn't even Argentina's best player in this tournament 

Not sure if serious.

If scoring four goals against Nigeria, Bosnia and Iran is considered damn good than Villa have been damn good for the last two years.

Have to disagree. Great in the group stages but poor in the crunch games. He wasn't even Argentina's best player in this tournament 

I think he's had a decent tournament but hardly 'great' or 'damn good'. He really did nothing productive for them past the second round stage. 

To be fair to Messi, Maradona never scored 91 goals in a year or get voted best player on the planet 4 years running. Dunno why they only focus on what Diego achieved as the benchmark.

Maradona never played for a club team that was even as half as good as the Barca team Messi has played in. If Messi had to play for a team of the quality of Maradona's Napoli, he wouldn't have scored anywhere near that number of goals in a year. 

Thats so true and look what he did for Napoli. He elevated them to their most successful period in their history.. Messi plays for a great Barcelona team... Anyway the true yardstick is what you do in a world cup.... 

have to disaggree with you as that would exclude george best.

But that is why George Best is never considered of one the greats although talent wise he should be...

Messi shouldn't even be in the running for the award.  He had a good group phase, but you can't tell me he was better than Rodriguez or Robben. 

• Like 1

Messi shouldn't even be in the running for the award.  He had a good group phase, but you can't tell me he was better than Rodriguez or Robben. 

yes those two would be my pick...