Finals

limpid

Third Place play off: Saturday 12th July 21:00
brz.png BRZ Brazil

ned.png NED Netherlands

World Cup Final: Sunday 13th July 20:00
ger.png GER Germany

arg.png ARG Argentina

It must be right because I saw it on the internet...

Brazil won their 4th World Cup 24 years after their 3rd, on penalties

Italy won their 4th World Cup 24 years after their 3rd, on penalties

Germany last won it in 1990, I'm putting £20 down on beating whoever on penalties

History may repeat itself in this one. In 86 Germany was a better team, but Maradona made the difference. In 90 Argentina was very weak, only because of Maradona they went through to the final. Germany was a much better team, and won.

If you replace Maradona with Messi, the situation is similar. I don't know what will happen, but my money goes to Argentina. Germany's 7-1 victory is somehow going to bite them back. They are Germans, so they will be prepared, so my feeling is just a hunch not based on anything really.

If Argentina wins, because of the underdog status, Messi will rise to compete for the "best of all times" title with Maradona. I think this will happen. Fantastic storyline that can be discussed for the next generation.

Be interesting to see what crowd turns up for the thrid place play off.

I know they're a waste of time but usually quite high scoring games...think the last 3 have ended 3-2 with the pressure off.

Germany to win 2 nil I reckon in the big one.

Germany will almost certainly score from a set piece and just frustate Argentina. No chance will they open up against Messi. They like to play football but they're pragmatic. It'll be tight but probably finish 2-0 to the Germans.

Also, I don't like the whole era comparison thing. Football is a different game now. Players are much, much fitter and, if a team is organised and well drilled, there can be very little space for a player to create. I was reading about Socrates (footballer) a few weeks back and he made the argument that because players are so fit and can cover so much ground in the modern game, it should probably lose 1 or 2 players in order to open up space on the pitch. I quite like that idea.

• Like 2

Germany will almost certainly score from a set piece and just frustate Argentina. No chance will they open up against Messi. They like to play football but they're pragmatic. It'll be tight but probably finish 2-0 to the Germans.

Also, I don't like the whole era comparison thing. Football is a different game now. Players are much, much fitter and, if a team is organised and well drilled, there can be very little space for a player to create. I was reading about Socrates (footballer) a few weeks back and he made the argument that because players are so fit and can cover so much ground in the modern game, it should probably lose 1 or 2 players in order to open up space on the pitch. I quite like that idea.

It is a different game. And you can't objectively judge players from different eras. Just something to think about for fun.

Playing with ten or even nine players sounds like a good idea. Very much worth exploring.

Edited by AVTuco

I have to congratulate Argentina for getting to the final without actually looking any good! Sign of a good team, is what they say? I'm struggling to think of a worse team to reach the final - probably Argentina themselves in 1990 is the only comparison? 

A victory for Argentina would be a victory for anti-football. Therefore I hope Germany win.  :)

• Like 1

If Argentina wins, because of the underdog status, Messi will rise to compete for the "best of all times" title with Maradona. I think this will happen. Fantastic storyline that can be discussed for the next generation.

I have to disagree because I don't think Messi has been that impressive (yes, 4 goals I know, but by his standard he has been quiet). Maradona meanwhile dragged Argentina on his own in 1986 and was head and shoulders the best player in the tournament 

• Like 2

Mascherana

I have to disagree because I don't think Messi has been that impressive (yes, 4 goals I know, but by his standard he has been quiet). Maradona meanwhile dragged Argentina on his own in 1986 and was head and shoulders the best player in the tournament 

Yes Maradona had brilliant games against England in the quarters, Belgium semi and the final.... Messi has been quite anonymous in the knock out stages. He'll need an outstanding final to come even close to Maradonna..

• Like 1

I have to congratulate Argentina for getting to the final without actually looking any good! Sign of a good team, is what they say? I'm struggling to think of a worse team to reach the final - probably Argentina themselves in 1990 is the only comparison? 

A victory for Argentina would be a victory for anti-football. Therefore I hope Germany win.  :)

Italy in USA 94 were pretty ordinary, they only got through to the knock out stage as the 3rd place team and needed a 90th minute equaliser against Nigeria in the 2nd round to save the game. In terms of names they weren't bad but their performances for the most part were.

...and PaulC:

In my opinion Maradona was way more ahead of the rest than Messi is, and will still be the best all-time. I love his skills.

But Messi gets over a major hurdle. It is easy to argue that you need to have won the WC to be the best.

One could argue Pele is ahead of Maradona. I guess when you take into account Messi's record at club level a world cup win would put him up there but do the Argentinian public rate him as highly as Maradona?  

Edited by PaulC