Joe Cole

TrentVilla

If we had a fantastic medical/physio team, with a reputation for keeping players fit and injury free, I'd be optimistic about this. 

But the opposite is true. We take fit players and trash them left, right and centre. 

Doesn't look promising. 

• Like 1

2 year deal, turned down the MLS, has a point to prove. Welcome Joe, hope you prove that point!

Edit:

Also worth noting that he has took a serious pay cut to join us, was offered more by other clubs as well.

He was unemployed, so he didn't take any pay cut.

Welcome!! Hope he can prove a few people wrong... He's a tricky player who could be a bit of a game changer considering how bland our midfield can be when they try to pass it around! Might just have a merson-esc signing! :)

2 year deal, turned down the MLS, has a point to prove. Welcome Joe, hope you prove that point!

Edit:

Also worth noting that he has took a serious pay cut to join us, was offered more by other clubs as well.

Okay, well we're paying him considerably less than Wet Spam were and he chose us over teams who offered more money. Better?

• Like 1

If we had a fantastic medical/physio team, with a reputation for keeping players fit and injury free, I'd be optimistic about this. 

But the opposite is true. We take fit players and trash them left, right and centre. 

Doesn't look promising. 

Agree - Ive been accused over being over dramatic - but I don't think our physio's are up to much.

This will be a pointless signing unless we play him behind the striker and given a sort of free roam. Restrict him out wide on defensive duties, can't see the point, especially at 32. Sensible signing, fills a position we need and is better than some of the current crop.

Sitting on the fence then.

In a sense. If we've signed him as an attacking midfielder then great, its a position we've needed under Lambert. He's tricky and clever on the ball.

Sign him as a wide forward who is required to burst forward at pace and "asked" to work back like Weimann, Gabby and Albrighton did last season (when they were arsed) then it wont utilise his talent. I expect to see Cole behind the striker and Nzog, Gabby, Tonev and Weimann as the wide players.

Edited by BigCarew

Edit:

Oh, well, in that case we should have paid him a fiver a week 

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

another very strange one for me.. if cole had made 25 appearances for west ham last season and chipped in with 7-8 goals and 7-8 assists, then yes, good signing, but he has barely done that over the last 3 years. smacks a bit of desperation.

If he'd done that, he wouldn't have been available on a free ;)

Has this got to be the fastest ever transfer for us in terms of us knowing about? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall there being anything on here about Cole signing for Villa 18 hours ago.

Doesn't look promising. 

Doesn't look promising. 

Agree - Ive been accused over being over dramatic - but I don't think our physio's are up to much.

Is there any actual evidence for this? Us having a few bad seasons for injuries doesn't necessarily mean we've got poor physios.

This is pretty much a shot to nothing. Not going to cost the earth, so not wasting too much money if he turns out to be a dud, and potentially could turn out to be a very useful signing.

Lambert is working with what he's got, which seems to be nowt, to bring in experience. He's better than what we have in his position, so this signing ticks the boxes.

• Like 1

exactly, so its a sad state of affairs when someone who is not good enough for west ham, becomes good enough for us....

Someone who wasn't good enough for us as in Ireland went on to shine at Stoke. I'm neither here nor there with this signing, but this summers signings will be based on hope rather than knowing we have purchased some quality.

I should be disappointed and hugely let down but i'm not and thats even sadder

I just don't know what to think, it's been that long since I saw him play in a run of games who knows what his game is about these days. One thing though, wet spam are actively looking at playing more attacking football next year so if Joe was any good they would have kept him me thinks?

exactly, so its a sad state of affairs when someone who is not good enough for west ham, becomes good enough for us....

Someone who wasn't good enough for us as in Ireland went on to shine at Stoke. I'm neither here nor there with this signing, but this summers signings will be based on hope rather than knowing we have purchased some quality.

Yep, it is an indicator of how we have fallen, but the fact that West Ham didn't work out for him the second time round isn't an indicator of his ability. Lambert was constantly banging on about how he needed/wanted a number 10, now we can finally see what he wanted to try and do. From what I remember last season, I saw Cole often deployed on the wing for West Ham, he really hasn't got the legs for that any more.

Â