Joe Cole

TrentVilla

A year is'nt so bad. If we can stay up, it will be interesting to see how we fare with that 'mythical' No10 we've been crying out for.

Only if the No. 10 in question is any good at this level and it is debatable as to whether Cole still is.

Unless we spend money we won't do any better than debatable. At least Cole has previous.

A year is'nt so bad. If we can stay up, it will be interesting to see how we fare with that 'mythical' No10 we've been crying out for.

Only if the No. 10 in question is any good at this level and it is debatable as to whether Cole still is.
Unless we spend money we won't do any better than debatable. At least Cole has previous.

Can't argue with that. I was making more the point in response to the original post that was suggesting that now we have a No. 10, regardless of how good they are, it will put the theory to the test.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Odd one. Not sure he's still got it in him to be honest.

Cracking player in his day and Jose turned him into a proper team player, but he's fallen pretty hard and fast since then.

If he's got the hunger and can stay fit, then maybe he could surprise. I hope so because he's definitely the type of player we have been in dire need of.

Jose ruined Joe Cole. Some players you have to allow a bit of freedom.

Can't argue with that. I was making more the point in response to the original post that was suggesting that now we have a No. 10, it will put the theory to the test.

I was thinking more how it might demonstrate (should it work out at least in some capacity with Cole) the urgency to spend large on a quality AM.

• Like 1

Norwich won't sell us Hoolahan then? Same age. Hoolahan was probably first choice because Lambert knows him and is a current international - maybe a bit fitter and less injury prone.

Hopefully Cole can get fit and add competition to the midfield.

Given we're limited in our ability to make signings due to Lerner selling the club I'm glad we're adding the experience of Senderos and Cole to our team. They've Champions League and International experience and added with Keane as assistant nobody is going to be slacking off. 

We do need a left back though. 

• Like 2

I'd be surprised if he started more than 15 games and even if he can stay injury free and fit and i'm not even sure what he can offer at the highest level any more. Sorry to be negative, but I just don't really understand the signing considering how precious money for wages is at the moment. Let's hope he's hungry and not just here to fade out his career. 

We have money for wages, it's been reported we can pay good premier league wages now. It just Lerner isn't going to free up transfer funds for signings. 

"Norwich won't sell us Hoolahan then? Same age. Hoolahan was probably first choice because Lambert knows him and is a current international - maybe a bit fitter and less injury prone". Or our present owner will not give Lambert any money to sign Hoolahan Con. 

"Cole is a risk," BBC Radio's Pat Murphy said. "He's 32, with a lot of a miles on the clock in terms of problems with various injuries.

"But, at his best, he is a versatile midfielder player. He is adaptable, he can score spectacular goals and his CV is impressive.

"Manager Paul Lambert - himself no slouch as a midfielder player, good enough to play for Celtic in his mid-30s - knows what can be coaxed out of a midfielder's body in his mid-30s and he's very excited at signing Cole.

"Villa's midfield has been mundane, sluggish, and one-dimensional. At his best - and it's a major caveat - Cole could certainly make a difference."

• Like 1

Pity really because if Lambert had tried to sign players like Cole and Senderos a couple of years ago to mix in with the young, untried overseas and lower English league players, we might have had better balanced sides from the start and wouldn't be worrying now about whether the new signings are too old/injury prone.

Still, I think this is a good signing. I've always rated Joe . Great temperament as well as skill. Just what we need if he proves not to be too old and injury prone.  :rolleyes:

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

I haven't seen anything from Joe Cole since he left Chelsea that makes me think he will be a good signing for us. Unfortunately given the restrictions I can see why this sort of gamble is one Lambert is taking. Prove me wrong Joe.

• Like 1

It also says to me an agenda to get bigger egos in the dressing room. The big frustration is how nice we are. Lambert is certainly bringing in people who will 'rally'. Which to me is more important than we think

Not sure why anyone would think Joe Cole has a particularly big ego. He seems like a really nice, genuine guy to me. He moved to France to play for Lille, who aren't bad but not exactly a household name, and he's taking a pay cut to play for a team that nearly got relegated last season.

Maybe it's because he's a Londoner.

Â