Joe Cole

TrentVilla

This will be a pointless signing unless we play him behind the striker and given a sort of free roam. Restrict him out wide on defensive duties, can't see the point, especially at 32. Sensible signing, fills a position we need and is better than some of the current crop.

• Like 2

This will be a pointless signing unless we play him behind the striker and given a sort of free roam. Restrict him out wide on defensive duties, can't see the point, especially at 32. Sensible signing, fills a position we need and is better than some of the current crop.

Sitting on the fence then.

It also hinges on us signing a proper Defensive Midfielder otherwise we'd be even more overrun in midfield next season.

A midfield 3 of Westwood, Delph & Cole will be suicide

It also hinges on us signing a proper Defensive Midfielder otherwise we'd be even more overrun in midfield next season.

Only if we play 3 forwards that hover up top.

In Lambert's first season, we played well with a 4-2-3-1 with Weimann behind the striker, and the two wide-forwards able to drop back into midfield to chip in defensively.

I think a 2 man midfield will be fine, if we have the 2 wide forwards (Gabby/ Weimann/ Bacuna) dropping back. That would then allow Cole to sit behind the striker.

Edited by Rob182

Welcome Joe Cole.........................were words I wish I could have written 10yrs ago, but still a player of his quality is always welcome.

Will he be a modern Merson (Oh yeah) or a Pires (Oh no)? guess we will soon find out.

"At this stage of my career, finances are not important for me. I want to enjoy my football, I want to compete and I just want to play more."

Doesn't sound to me like he wants to be a super sub like some are suggesting

Lets hope he can stay injury free and Lambert plays him in the correct position

• Like 3

Only if we play 3 forwards that hover up top.

In Lambert's first season, we played well with a 4-2-3-1 with Weimann behind the striker, and the two wide-forwards able to drop back into midfield to chip in defensively.

I think a 2 man midfield will be fine, if we have the 2 wide forwards (Gabby/ Weimann/ Bacuna) dropping back. That would then allow Cole to sit behind the striker.

If we had the players for it this would be great, but neither Gabby nor Weimann are wide players and they play far to narrow. Albrighton would have worked. Or if the midfield and Gabby/Weimann offered more protection the fullbacks Luna/ Lowton/ Bacuna could have pushed forward, but now they just have to defend or risk getting caught out of position.The number of times we've been overrun on the flanks is countless

Hope he turns out to be a Robbie Keane type signing as I was disappointed with that signing and he turned out great. So I'm crossing my fingers as he's the type of player style wise we desperately need.

Who else is a free transfer in the market with relatively low wages that we might punt for?

Welcome Joe.

I'm fairly happy with this signing, considering our current plight.

Even though he's not the player he was 5 years ago, he's still an improvement on many of the players we have.

When fit, I would happily have him in the starting eleven over Tonev/ Weimann/ Bacuna/ Bowery.

Good luck Joe! I hope you prove some people wrong.

• Like 1

"At this stage of my career, finances are not important for me. I want to enjoy my football, I want to compete and I just want to play more."

Doesn't sound to me like he wants to be a super sub like some are suggesting

Lets hope he can stay injury free and Lambert plays him in the correct position

Great start not here for the money welcome joe lets get behond him folks

Â