Joe Cole

TrentVilla

at least he can keep using his old kit...

i think this will be a good signing, and suspect he'll come in buzzing to get another chance to show that he's not a washed up footballer... a bit of passion and fire is only going to do well with the players...

lets just keep him wrapped up in cotton wool, and hopefully nurse him through the season...

It also says to me an agenda to get bigger egos in the dressing room. The big frustration is how nice we are. Lambert is certainly bringing in people who will 'rally'. Which to me is more important than we think

Not sure why anyone would think Joe Cole has a particularly big ego. He seems like a really nice, genuine guy to me. He moved to France to play for Lille, who aren't bad but not exactly a household name, and he's taking a pay cut to play for a team that nearly got relegated last season.

Maybe it's because he's a Londoner.

Yep, supposed to be a nice amiable chap from what I hear. 

Would love to have signed him ten years ago or so. So much talent, I'd love this to work out but I can't really see him turning it around now. Hopefully I'm wrong...

Yeah, 4 years too late with this signing. He is well past it now unfortunately. Reminds me of when we braught Pires in, great players in their day but we can only lure that sort of player when theyre in the very final moments of their career. But hey, beggars cant be choosers n all that..

Yeah, 4 years too late with this signing. He is well past it now unfortunately. Reminds me of when we braught Pires in, great players in their day but we can only lure that sort of player when theyre in the very final moments of their career. But hey, beggars cant be choosers n all that..

I dunno about the Pires comparison, surely Cole hasn't fallen that far yet!  Nearest comparison for me would perhaps be Patrik Berger?

He definitely has imo He was good at Lille at apparently, when he came back to England though at Liverpool he flopped and when your boyhood club wont play you/release you I think its safe to say you're done..

Can he do a job for us? He will certainly strengthen the bench but thats not hard.

Like most others have said, it's a potential signing that has come at least 5 years too late. Also, it shows where we are at as a club and I think that's what bothers people the most.

The positives are that we will at least add some talent around the younger players. Lambert's also looking at players who have played at the highest level and you'd think that they would be able to advise the players as well.

Edited by villarocker

Where he plays will be an interesting one.

If we carry on with 3 men in midfield I'd be worried to play him through the middle for fear of being too weak.

In the wide areas I'd still prefer Agbonlahor and Weimann for their pace.

If he can add a bit of craft and ball - retention then I don't really have any problems with this.

I actually like this.

We have a very young squad that lack knowledge and experience. Joe will come in as a role model for the younger players.

OK. He won't get 30+ games and won't get many 90min games.

But I feel this could be good...

Where he plays will be an interesting one.

If we carry on with 3 men in midfield I'd be worried to play him through the middle for fear of being too weak.

In the wide areas I'd still prefer Agbonlahor and Weimann for their pace.

If he can add a bit of craft and ball - retention then I don't really have any problems with this.

spot on.... the problem in our midfield is that we are too lightweight - with KEA being the 'enforcer'... taking him out for cole makes us even more flimsy defensively... can't see PL dropping either andi or gabby for him, so not quite sure how he fits into our starting line up...

Woke up this morning to read we are in for Cole - thought I was back in 2008 for a second!

Get him in I say. Might be a few years too Late, but he will bring quality to the squad and improve it. He's on a free and like many have stated, I think it's good we are using the free transfer channel this season. Couldn't work out why we haven't used it so much in the past.

Even if he only plays 20 or so games, we need a creative midfielder. I'm so excited at the prospect of having a creative midfielder at last, this signing alone might make me renew my season ticket!

• Like 1

If he can chip in with 5 goals, 5 assists and players like Grealish can learn from him I would say its a good move.

He was one of the most naturally gifted players so passing on anything to the youngsters will be a great experience to them.

• Like 1

If he can chip in with 5 goals, 5 assists and players like Grealish can learn from him I would say its a good move.

He was one of the most naturally gifted players so passing on anything to the youngsters will be a great experience to them.

So basically if he can manage better than most of team did last season he will be a good signing.

He's got undoubted ability and bags if experience. He's on a free and on a one year deal. Can't see how this is an awful signing. I remember Liverpool signing a 33 year old Gary McAllister on a free and him being very good for them. At least give Cole a chance

So basically if he can manage better than most of team did last season he will be a good signing.

Obviously.

Pires was about 36 when we got him, wasn't he? (that post wasn't worth liking yourself Dem!)

i didnt even like that post no idea why it says that

he was 35, cole is 32 almost 33 not much difefrence in my eyes. and pires was not as injury prone as cole is

Â