Philippe Senderos

samjp26

I thought he did well last year but honestly, look at his injury record. There is no point trying to build a defence with this guy. Makes Vlaar look reliable.

True. I suppose it would just result in more changes and ultimately less certainty about the back four. But isn't that true of all 30+ players to a certain extent? Experience comes at a price I suppose, but I do agree that maybe Senderos' injury record is worse than some.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim Sherwood says Carlos Sanchez is perfect in the defence-minded No.6 role at Villa.

But the boss stressed that The Rock has the capabilities to play in central defence.

Sanchez looked assured and confident in that position as Villa defeated Notts County to set up a Capital One Cup third round encounter with Birmingham City.

Jores Okore and Philippe Senderos have both been injured - and that prompted Sherwood to call in Sanchez as he rested several other first teamers on Tuesday.

The manager was impressed with what he saw from the likeable ace.

He said: "You'd want Carlos in that No.6 role.

"He's the hoover. He hoovers things up in there.

"But we haven't got any more centre-backs in the club who are fit.

"Jores Okore isn't fit. Philippe Senderos hasn't trained a lot.

"Okore will be back soon. Senderos will have more game time and more training time.

"I wouldn't be against playing Sanchez in there. I think he's played there many times for his country.

"It's probably a slower tempo but he's strong, good in the air and he's reliable.

"I think he's more than capable of playing there if we need him."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4961505,00.html

I'm glad it looks like he is staying. Seems like a likeable guy, and a good CB. That game against Liverpool where he niggled Baleotelli out of them game was fantastic. A different game to out current CB's who are all a little blood and thunder.

I can't even remember the last time I saw him on the pitch; has he been injured all that time?

been out since october with thigh and calf injuries

Was there someone on here not saying that he was fit from December according to the Villa medical staff but he refused to play because he said he was still injured.

I can't even remember the last time I saw him on the pitch; has he been injured all that time?

been out since october with thigh and calf injuries

Was there someone on here not saying that he was fit from December according to the Villa medical staff but he refused to play because he said he was still injured.

I thought the rumour was the other way round with Senderos saying he was fit and the club saying he wasn't picked because he was injured? I hope he gets fit and stays as I thought he was class until he got injured, would rather have him play than Baker or Okore

Â