England squad World Cup 2014

andykeenan

Shocking news that Defoe isn't in the squad.

When I say shocking, I mean for him and him alone. I can't believe I've just listened to him whining about how disappointed he is for ten minutes on the radio when the only real shock is that he even made the standby list.

Jermaine who?

Seriously, when you head to the football graveyards of the US, Canada, Qatar etc for one last fat pay day, you say goodbye to being taken seriously as a player. I'm shocked that he even believes he should be considered. He wasn't much cop for England when he was at his peak so what chance now? Crazy fool.

Defoe must have known his time was up when he moved to the MLS.

Seemingly not judging by his interview on 5Live earlier

To be fair, he couldn't have done any more to guarantee his place in the squad. ;)

Laughable, the level of delusion.

Impossible to believe Defoe thought he could get in the squad ahead of Sturridge after the season he had, although they are the same kind of player. 

He's a different style of player to Lambert so he couldn't take his place. Lambert took Carroll's spot.

Obviously he couldn't take Rooney's place either. He's one of the first names on the list.

It was either Welbeck or Defoe. Welbeck must have got it because his all-round play is better. Holds the ball up, creates a bit. Defoe is just a finisher and Sturridge is our finisher.

Not sure what Defoe's problem is. 

I hate that we're so shit at the moment that we don't have anyone anywhere near this squad. I'd love to get an England shirt with Delph or Agbonlahor on it but the team is so shit and their form is so patchy that they were never really in the running.

Oh well, maybe next cup.

Cant believe how thin our squad is when Stones is our first choice reserve centre back. He has played 15 games for Everton this year and I'd guess less than 5 of those he played CB.

Cant say I have seen loads of him but in the few games I have seen he looks tidy but nothing spectacular.

No. He has played all his games at CB apart from two. He has also played more than 15 games.

He is brilliant and plays very much in the style of a young Rio Ferdinand. Can't believe he is only 19. 

He makes mistakes occasionally because he likes to come out from the back and pass it out, but he is still young and he'll learn.

Despite his inexperience, I'd have him over Jones and Smalling every single day of the week. 

Edited by Artetasgirl
  • Like 2

Cant believe how thin our squad is when Stones is our first choice reserve centre back. He has played 15 games for Everton this year and I'd guess less than 5 of those he played CB.

Cant say I have seen loads of him but in the few games I have seen he looks tidy but nothing spectacular.

No. He has played all his games at CB apart from two. He has also played more than 15 games.

He is brilliant and plays very much in the style of a young Rio Ferdinand. Can't believe he is only 19. 

He makes mistakes occasionally because he likes to come out from the back and pass it out, but he is still young and he'll learn.

Despite his inexperience, I'd have him over Jones and Smalling every single day of the week. 

I really rate Stones. Far better option than Smalling.

Jones justifies his position with his versatility. I think it's always worth having a player like that in the squad.

I'd be a bit nervous about Stones because of his inexperience, but I said the same about Rooney in 2004 so what the **** do I know?

Impossible to believe Defoe thought he could get in the squad ahead of Sturridge after the season he had, although they are the same kind of player. 

He's a different style of player to Lambert so he couldn't take his place. Lambert took Carroll's spot.

Obviously he couldn't take Rooney's place either. He's one of the first names on the list.

It was either Welbeck or Defoe. Welbeck must have got it because his all-round play is better. Holds the ball up, creates a bit. Defoe is just a finisher and Sturridge is our finisher.

Not sure what Defoe's problem is. 

To be fair I would rather Rooney wasn't going. England look loads better as soon as he isn't playing and apart from his first international tournament he has been utter shite

Edited by KHV

I want Rooney to play. but he needs to be reined in. I'd like him to play off Sturridge, with Sturridge as the main striker.

Rooney has a touch of Gerrard about him. He's a fantastic player, but he's at his worst when he loses his head and his discipline and charges around like a headless chicken.

He's also one of only a few England players capable of that moment of magic. And that could be the difference.

(and by the difference I mean the difference between going out in the 2nd Round or the quarter final)

• Like 1

rooney of the rovers...

wants to be a striker but he wants to come get the ball of the centre backs too

give him the suarez role in liverpools formation, worst thing we can do IMO is play with wide men and then rooney in the middle, especially if its sturridge or welbeck on the left wing, absolutely no balance

unfortunately i dont think we can not play him, like you say he's one of the few who could actually do something if he turned up

We will concede too many and don't have enough going forward to score against the better defences. The expectation level this time is about right though and it won't be a surprise if we don't get through the group stages.