England squad World Cup 2014

andykeenan

Call me crazy, but I really think this England team could do something special in Brazil. They have some real quality, a good blend of youth and experience, and what seems to be a much more relaxed buildup than in tournaments past. Nobody expects much of them. But I think they'll do very well this time.

Not with Hodgson as manager we won't.
I think I agree with this.

I think Hodgson gets a hard time. I really do think he's a decent manager.

But, I think he's not spectacular. By that I mean I reckon we'll get to every tournament that Roy is in charge for. No problem. The team is good enough for that, Roy will get them playing well. As well as they should.

What I don't think he's capable of is that tactical spark or inspirational speech that can get that bit extra out of players.

He's consistent. On paper we have a team good enough for the second round, maybe quarters, he's picked a good squad. And that may well be what we get.

With a special manager in there he could maybe spur us on and get a bit further. But I don't think Roy is capable of that. He's good, but he doesn't have that special something.

• Like 3

I think I agree with this.

I think Hodgson gets a hard time. I really do think he's a decent manager.

But, I think he's not spectacular. By that I mean I reckon we'll get to every tournament that Roy is in charge for. No problem. The team is good enough for that, Roy will get them playing well. As well as they should.

What I don't think he's capable of is that tactical spark or inspirational speech that can get that bit extra out of players.

He's consistent. On paper we have a team good enough for the second round, maybe quarters, he's picked a good squad. And that may well be what we get.

With a special manager in there he could maybe spur us on and get a bit further. But I don't think Roy is capable of that. He's good, but he doesn't have that special something.

He is a safe pair of hands is what he is, nothing more or less. He won't do anything silly, he won't make school boy errors and he won't upset players and will keep people in line. That is about it.

He is a dull manager, who plays dull uninspiring football which is predominately safety first and it probably won't see us embarrassed but it won't see us get anywhere either.

He can't fill players with confidence to play freely or above themselves like old flappy face can and he isn't a Jose who can create a team that will do his bidding and conform to his winning formulae.

I will be surprised if we get out the group, if we do we won't go any further. 

He is a safe pair of hands is what he is, nothing more or less. He won't do anything silly, he won't make school boy errors and he won't upset players and will keep people in line. That is about it.

He is a dull manager, who plays dull uninspiring football which is predominately safety first and it probably won't see us embarrassed but it won't see us get anywhere either.

He can't fill players with confidence to play freely or above themselves like old flappy face can and he isn't a Jose who can create a team that will do his bidding and conform to his winning formulae.

I'm not sure about this. I'm not sure what I think, but looking back, we've had "inspiring" managers - Keegan, for example. We've had calm and collected managers - Sven, we've had disciplinarian managers - Capello. The ones who've done best with England have been Robby Bobson and s'ralf Ramsey. Neither of those two were particularly extrovert, the football wasn't particularly inspiring. The main thing they had was good players, experience, a calmness and the ability to get their players to play in the way which suited them best.

There are elements of those things with Hodgson. He's pragmatic and able to have the team play in a way with which they are comfortable.

The problem is that we haven't got a very good defence, and we could do with a really good holding midfield player.

It seems like what he has also managed to do is get together a squad of players who are mates. I'm not sure that's been the case in previous times.

I don't think we'll win it, but I don't think we're doomed not to get out of the group either. We just need to defend better, and see how it goes.

As a person I don't warm to Hodgson, or instinctively think "he'll do well", but I kind of like him being England manager. He's just what England needs. No cult of personality, no ego massaging, no one of the lads. He's a coach and his own man. He gives the impression that knows what he's doing.

• Like 3

I'm not sure about this. I'm not sure what I think, but looking back, we've had "inspiring" managers - Keegan, for example. We've had calm and collected managers - Sven, we've had disciplinarian managers - Capello. The ones who've done best with England have been Robby Bobson and s'ralf Ramsey. Neither of those two were particularly extrovert, the football wasn't particularly inspiring. The main thing they had was good players, experience, a calmness and the ability to get their players to play in the way which suited them best.

There are elements of those things with Hodgson. He's pragmatic and able to have the team play in a way with which they are comfortable.

The problem is that we haven't got a very good defence, and we could do with a really good holding midfield player.

It seems like what he has also managed to do is get together a squad of players who are mates. I'm not sure that's been the case in previous times.

I don't think we'll win it, but I don't think we're doomed not to get out of the group either. We just need to defend better, and see how it goes.

As a person I don't warm to Hodgson, or instinctively think "he'll do well", but I kind of like him being England manager. He's just what England needs. No cult of personality, no ego massaging, no one of the lads. He's a coach and his own man. He gives the impression that knows what he's doing.

The Euro 96 team under Terry Vegetables did very well as well.  Decent defence, very good strike force and a bit of maverick genius in Paul Gascoigne.  A proper 4-4-2 with one creative player, one stopper and two wingers.  I liked Terry V as well, shame he left as that team was decent.

• Like 2

The Euro 96 team under Terry Vegetables did very well as well.  Decent defence, very good strike force and a bit of maverick genius in Paul Gascoigne.  A proper 4-4-2 with one creative player, one stopper and two wingers.  I liked Terry V as well, shame he left as that team was decent.

Didn't we play 3-5-2 in Euro 96?

McManaman and Anderton were the wing backs with Ince, Platt and Gazza in the middle? 

Some good points there Blandy and agree with most of it.

Just one thing though do you not rate Stevie G as a really good holding midfield player?

Some good points there Blandy and agree with most of it.

Just one thing though do you not rate Stevie G as a really good holding midfield player?

Depends if he's in a slippy mood...

• Like 1

I see Stuart Pearce has said Barkley shouldn't be in the squad and should be playing for the u21 instead of just sitting on the bench for the senior team.

Same with Luke Shaw.

with the next U21 game being in september im going to say pearce is talking bollocks again

absolutely no harm in them being there, soak it up, they'll play some part, think roy rightly played down the media wanking over barkley in the week, thats the only danger at the moment, expectations for him are ridiculous already

• Like 1

I disagree with this, everything I've seen of Bobby Robson in documentaries and interviews, tells me that he was imo very charismatic and inspiring manager and england did play some very good football under him in 1990 world cup. I didn't see 1986 or 1988 so I can't comment on those tournaments. IMO Bobby Robson looked much more extroverted manager than Roy Hodgson is, or Capello.

I don't think Svennis did that poor job with the english team, in 2002 world cup they went out against the eventual winners, and in 2006 they went out against Portugal - who was eventually fourth. Keegan was found out in the international level, and he probably suited the club football much better.

Roy Hodgson is as inspiring and charismatic as a turd, he is tactically way too one-dimensional and he clearly doesn't get best out of his players. He is McLeish of international level. That being said, I'm not convinced that Saggy Chops would've been any better, and I don't think there's any manager who would get the english team to play as well as they could at international level.

It's true that english players aren't as good individually as say, spanish players are but the marginals in tournaments are so small that with right tactics and playing to your strenghts you can squeeze out a win on knockout games and you can get very far.

With all that being said, english national team has IMO really missed Gazza since 1990 world cup and 1996 euros, he brought that mad spark into the pitch and I think english players on international level needs that, at least to an certain extent.

I'd also add that when I've seen english players playing for the national team in the couple last tournaments, I don't think that the players have been quite on the right mindset, not sure why it is but they haven't looked like they enjoy it, they look more like "forced" and haven't played with freedom. Maybe it's the whole media obsession and public putting pressure on them, like english fans booing them in 2010 world cup.

Edited by Jarpie
  • Like 1

This team aren't going to go particularly far regardless of who is managing them, so it may as well be Hodgson. He's the best choice realistically, that's more to do with there being a really poor collection of English managers than anything else.

This isn't a particularly strong year for international teams. There isn't a stand out favourite and aside from maybe 3-4 teams I think we'd have a decent chance of beating anybody.

If we do get out of the groups I'd fancy us to get to the 1/4's before we're inevitably eliminated though, lucky draw.

This team aren't going to go particularly far regardless of who is managing them, so it may as well be Hodgson. He's the best choice realistically, that's more to do with there being a really poor collection of English managers than anything else.

I don't particularly disagree, although I think Redknapp would get more out of the players but I wouldn't want him for a number of reasons.

I'm not really saying that I think someone else should be in charge, more just saying lets not pretend Hodgson is anything other than what he is. He and in turn his football is pretty uninspiring and dull.

I hope to see Chamberlain, Barkley, Sterling, Wilshere amd Shaw all on at the same point. Although lacking in experience they all have the ability to take on a player. An ageing Italy side in the last 20 mins wouldn't know what's hit them. Although we will get murdered if we start all of them.

They will all probably flatter to deceive.

I would have taken Flanagan aswell, Johnson seems to be getting worse with experience.

Let's remember this is generally a poor generation of English footballers.

Jarpie above said Sven did well....yes he did as he had a much better group of players to call upon. Y'know the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, those guys were all a bit younger and better then. Owen was far superior to any of the strikers as options now and I don't even need to compare the centre half options these days.

Some of the young lads look decent but feel this tournament is a little too early for some of them. France 2016 could decent though as you'd like to think the likes of Barkley, Sterling, Ox-Chamberlian and Shaw should all have been regular starters for two years by then.

I see Stuart Pearce has said Barkley shouldn't be in the squad and should be playing for the u21 instead of just sitting on the bench for the senior team.

Same with Luke Shaw.

U21 is a waste of time for the most part, talented young players need to be fast tracked into the senior side and then given the opportunities to develop and gain meaningful experience. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss