England squad World Cup 2014

andykeenan

Wow Roy is so bad how can u leave Ashley Cole out,So if Baines gets injured we got someone whos played 45 mins international football to bring on-Take a penalty-Mark Ronaldo-Mark Messi yeh good plan.

Personally I felt out of the 3 left backs I'd have left Baines at home - which is daft after the last couple of seasons he's had.  

But in terms of pure defensive ability Cole trumps the other 2 (and there'll be times we'll need to keep it tight at the back out there), and I'm quite the fan of heaping pressure onto the youth in an effort to make them crack and ruin their development in the international arena (see Scott Carson) so I'd have taken Shaw over Baines for the other spot.

As it turns out, this is clearly another reason to add to the heap as to why I'm not managing international football teams.  And frankly it wasn't the most important selection headache that'll have been made. 

It'd be nice if we had the same sort of problem for right back as well really.

Squad named:

Joe Hart
Fraser Forster 
Ben Foster

Glen Johnson
Phil Jones
Gary Cahill 
Phil Jagielka 
Chris Smalling 
Leighton Baines 
Luke Shaw 

Steven Gerrard
Jack Wilshere 
Jordan Henderson 
Frank Lampard 
James Milner 
Ross Barkley 
Adam Lallana 
Raheem Sterling 
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain 

Wayne Rooney
Daniel Sturridge 
Danny Welbeck
Rickie Lambert

Standby:
John Ruddy
Jon Flanagan
John Stones
Michael Carrick
Tom Cleverley
Andy Carroll
Jermain Defoe
Edited by CardiffGreens

England World Cup squad

Goalkeepers Hart, Foster, Forster Defenders Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Baines, Shaw Midfielders: Gerrard, Wilshere, Sterling, Milner, Lampard, Henderson, Barkley, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain Strikers Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lambert Stand-Ruddy, Flanagan, Stones, Carrick, Cleverley, Carroll Defoe.

Squad is very weak at CB, and wide pacey forwards.

An injury to Jagielka or Cahill and we are struggling (I'm not even a fan of the two of them as a pair)

Only seems to be Sterling and Oxlade who can play wide - I know Jimmy and Welbeck can do it but neither are going to scaring the worlds best too much. 

Shame we had injuries for Walcott and Townsend just disappeared for a season after such a bright start.

Would substitute Foster, Lampard and Smalling for Butland, Flanaghan and Barry but that aside it's probably the best available. Fair play to RH for fielding youth though.

England used to have a plethora of good cbs and that has diminished recently and replaced with left backs (as you could easily take cole and Gibbs with those selected).

From that squad my line up would be:

Hart

Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines

Henderson Gerard Wilshire

Sterling Sturridge Rooney

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

Squad is very weak at CB, and wide pacey forwards.

An injury to Jagielka or Cahill and we are struggling (I'm not even a fan of the two of them as a pair)

Only seems to be Sterling and Oxlade who can play wide - I know Jimmy and Welbeck can do it but neither are going to scaring the worlds best too much. 

Shame we had injuries for Walcott and Townsend just disappeared for a season after such a bright start.

Especially Walcott is a huge loss for England IMO, but hopefully Liverpool's Tony Daley can fill the role.

Lambert is the right shout IMO in great form too, Carroll has hardly played all year and done little when he has

Not really sure who else he could have named, jones, smalling, wilshere, lampard all aren't playing well enough to be there but when you look at the reserves none of them should really be going either

England are going to leak goals. Depends if they score enough at the other end.

will they. Hodgson will have a solid back 4 and a shield in front of that and the wingers helping the full backs, also probably Welbeck for his work rate

I know I sound like a broken record but Hodgson is wrong manager for england now, way too cautious and he will shackle the creative players into his ultra-defensive tactics and this will be yet another turgid display. English football would IMO really need something like Bobby Robson and 1990 world cup.