England squad World Cup 2014

andykeenan

Some good points there Blandy and agree with most of it.

Just one thing though do you not rate Stevie G as a really good holding midfield player?

not really, no. He's played just this season in that role, previously having been more of the free role/playmaker. And even this season, Henderson or Lucas have been there as the real cover for the defence. You might be right, and he might turn into such a player, but I think he's naturally not disciplined enough, and has more to his game, anyway.
  • Like 2

Spain aren't really that comparable though are they because they have such a strong 1st team, isco and thiago can spend an extended time in the u21s because they don't need them, I'm sure if they had a weak point in the 1st team and a shit hot player in the u21s to fill that role then they'd do exactly the same as we are

Barkley and shaw are both in the 1st team on merit, it's not a fast track experience for future thing like Walcott was, you might be able to argue that cole should be going instead of shaw but cole hardly played for Chelsea last year, if we didn't call up Barkley it would be cleverley so that's an absolute no brainer

And like I said on the previous page, the U21s aren't playing this summer...

• Like 1

Delph should be there.

And personally I think Hodgson is an awful manager. O'Neill would have been the best to get performances out of the England players. We'll see how it works out with Ireland now anyway.

Anyone know if itv / bbc are streaming the games as well as showing them on tv?

Thinking of setting a tv up in my garden but I'm not pissing about getting the sky cable out there I'll just plug my laptop in to it

I think they both are.

Delph should be there.

And personally I think Hodgson is an awful manager. O'Neill would have been the best to get performances out of the England players. We'll see how it works out with Ireland now anyway.

No he shouldn't.

• Like 2

Delph should be there.

But O'Neill literally does nothing.

The idea that O'Neil would be a successful international manager is hilarious, he may be a decent motivator but he is a dinosaur tactician.

Guess that's why we were useless under him :ph34r:

Edited by villaajax

Some good points there Blandy and agree with most of it.

Just one thing though do you not rate Stevie G as a really good holding midfield player?

not really, no. He's played just this season in that role, previously having been more of the free role/playmaker. And even this season, Henderson or Lucas have been there as the real cover for the defence. You might be right, and he might turn into such a player, but I think he's naturally not disciplined enough, and has more to his game, anyway.

I couldn't agree more. no surprise either that the games in which only teams attacked and pressed Gerrard he struggled. Don't know why other teams didn't study Weimann performance at Anfield as Gerrard was clueless

I think I agree with this.

I think Hodgson gets a hard time. I really do think he's a decent manager.

But, I think he's not spectacular. By that I mean I reckon we'll get to every tournament that Roy is in charge for. No problem. The team is good enough for that, Roy will get them playing well. As well as they should.

What I don't think he's capable of is that tactical spark or inspirational speech that can get that bit extra out of players.

He's consistent. On paper we have a team good enough for the second round, maybe quarters, he's picked a good squad. And that may well be what we get.

With a special manager in there he could maybe spur us on and get a bit further. But I don't think Roy is capable of that. He's good, but he doesn't have that special something.

He is a safe pair of hands is what he is, nothing more or less. He won't do anything silly, he won't make school boy errors and he won't upset players and will keep people in line. That is about it.

He is a dull manager, who plays dull uninspiring football which is predominately safety first and it probably won't see us embarrassed but it won't see us get anywhere either.

He can't fill players with confidence to play freely or above themselves like old flappy face can and he isn't a Jose who can create a team that will do his bidding and conform to his winning formulae.

I will be surprised if we get out the group, if we do we won't go any further. 

Yeah that's basically what I meant. He's safe. 

He'll get us to tournaments but he's very unlikely, imo, to be able to motivate or galvanise a side to play above themselves and get to a semi or a final.

Fwiw I have a funny feeling we'll be out in the quarter finals this year. Originally I said we wouldn't get out of the group. But I think we'll sneak it ahead of Italy.

Then we play group C, which isn't a particularly strong group. So I reckon we'll get to the quarters and then go out.

Sterling may have played anyway. I wonder if we will miss Welbeck's allround capabilities. Not a fan of his but he covers for Baines well, who is not the best defensive left back.

Edited by PaulC

A tad off topic but World Cup related - just wasn't sure where to post ; given that our FA and indeed UEFA have known for donkey's years how corrupt FIFA are, can someone explain the wisdom of our FA putting their heads above the parapet 2 days before the start of the World Cup ? Thanks for that......plenty of dubious penalty decisions sure to come our way then.....

It was only made more laughable when Lord Triesmann (remember him) likened FIFA to a Mafia family.......perhaps he's forgotten how he got his job at the FA?

Dullards, the lot of them.