The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Good luck tomorrow Stevo :thumb:

meeting went fine but I'm Not holding my breath.

Wouldn't tell me the club but they've had over 50 CVs submitted for this job.

So much for claiming he headhunted me. What he did was emailed it to every finance person he could find on his LinkedIn.

You never know, but I'd be surprised if I make the shortlist.

I'm not going to bash LinkedIn as its where I was originally contacted for my new job but it sure as hell makes it easier for those in recruitment agencies to spread the net!

I got called, in the space of 2 days, by about 4 recruiters the other week. Very odd, I hadn't changed anything on any online job site or anything.

Excellent timing by them though because every day that goes by at the moment is another day towards me trying to find out how strong the glass is in our office by hurling myself headlong at it.

I had a sudden change of heart and mind as far as working went...

I have been previously working in the oil and gas industry and decided it wasn't for me after the last nine years, as my day rate went up I was becoming more disheartened.

From November last year I have begun teaching what has been a passion for most of my life which is martial arts and meditation. Specifically the Chinese Internal Arts of Taijiquan and Qigong; it's going well and I'm following my dream. I am teaching also at some health centres with the NHS and it is so rewarding to feel as though I am helping others.

• Like 2

I'm struggling with a good way to tell my boss I'm looking to leave. Ideally I wouldn't have to until I was on my way in to a new job, but I want to go for another role in the same company, so he'll find out before it even gets to the interview stage.

I started a new job in October, it's a role I'm not even remotely qualified for, but my boss had worked with me before, put in many good words for me, put me on some (damn expensive!) training courses, and had numerous meetings with his boss to get me a payrise above the limit he should have been able to. So I really feel like I owe him...but I'm bored out of my mind and want to get out.

It's not even 10 on a Sunday and I'm sat here dreading tomorrow. I'm so demotivated at this point I can barely face it, which is absolutely and entirely out of character for me. Looking forward to Friday already. Half of the job is mind numbing tedium, the other half stress inducing horror. Running through my head everything that might be an issue this week (some out of my hands, others not). I'm not even paid £20k.

I'm dying to see something else come up do I can leave and hopefully be more satisfied and better paid.

It's not even 10 on a Sunday and I'm sat here dreading tomorrow. I'm so demotivated at this point I can barely face it, which is absolutely and entirely out of character for me. Looking forward to Friday already. Half of the job is mind numbing tedium, the other half stress inducing horror. Running through my head everything that might be an issue this week (some out of my hands, others not). I'm not even paid £20k.

I'm dying to see something else come up do I can leave and hopefully be more satisfied and better paid.

What is it that you do?

Pie it off mate.

• Like 1

I hope never to get in a position where I dread going into work. Especially If i'm underpaid!

With me, I like my job (generally) but I'm overly busy all the time. 

• Like 1

ouch, good friend worked in the insurance industry for a couple of years and HATED it, was low paid c£13kish I think and he just had to quit. Wasn't worth his sanity staying there any longer. Sounds like you could do with the same Chindie.

Are you living pay cheque to pay cheque? Or do you have savings or are able to live with family? 

The reason I ask is because if it's the latter then you really should just consider quitting the job you're in and having the freedom to commit 100% of your time to finding something else. I guarantee that with your experience you would most likely find something more than £20k even if you were unemployed. 

If you can't afford to just quit then I really think you should go all out to find something else. Be very proactive - update your linkedin if you haven't already, spend time both in your work time (in quiet moments) and after working relentlessly applying for jobs, also get in touch with recruiters. Then be utterly ruthless when you do get call backs for interviews, go off sick or take last minute time off in order to attend.

As others have pointed out, life really is too short to be feeling the way you feel in your job. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Chindie - If it isn't possible to quite then maybe consider some home learning or evening courses. It's always important to invest in yourself throughout life. You could then look at a route that you want to go down and start picking up some courses to get your foot in the door.

If you wanted to send me your cv I can take a look at it and give you some tips etc. I can then also take a look at what roles I have available and send it onto my colleagues to see if they have anything.

Happy to do that for anyone on VT as well btw. Particularly interested in contractors! Just drop me a PM.

Are you living pay cheque to pay cheque? Or do you have savings or are able to live with family? 

The reason I ask is because if it's the latter then you really should just consider quitting the job you're in and having the freedom to commit 100% of your time to finding something else. I guarantee that with your experience you would most likely find something more than £20k even if you were unemployed. 

If you can't afford to just quit then I really think you should go all out to find something else. Be very proactive - update your linkedin if you haven't already, spend time both in your work time (in quiet moments) and after working relentlessly applying for jobs, also get in touch with recruiters. Then be utterly ruthless when you do get call backs for interviews, go off sick or take last minute time off in order to attend.

As others have pointed out, life really is too short to be feeling the way you feel in your job.

I imagine you don't know what you want do?

I still don't and I quit my job and found a decent one within a month. It's good money but I know it dosnt utilise my major skills and traits.

My advice is quit if it's driving you that mad, put your effort into finding something that utilises a skill that you are proud of and then Remain sane and employed until you can make the most of an opportunity.

Might have to work out what your proud of or what gets you motivated?

At all points put your full effort in as you never know what it will achieve, who is glancing from afar or when something will open up.

Â