The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Yea an umbrella company will sort that out tax wise. I tend to suggest an umbrella company to those that are on under £200 per day. Over that then either an umbrella or limited company is the way to go.

See the Umbrella companies are coming under review in parliament soon!  

Returned to work today after time off sorting my dads matters. I can't say I feel completely up to coming back in, and I will be leaving early, but even being here I'm just immediately struck by how much I dislike the job. I've come in to finding issues with another department which we need to rectify which means I have the pleasure of manually running through line after line of numerous spreadsheets, a task not only mindnumbingly dull but also demeaning. I can barely muster the effort to bother.

Apparently there's to be discussion of my wage increasing. I'm not even thinking about that following the last increase actually being so low that I don't actually think my wage in real terms changed (but I should be glad as it was a higher percentage than everyone else got. Unfortunately I'm unable to ignore that a slightly greater percentage of **** all is still **** all). I guess I might go a grand or 2 higher. That'll get me over £20k. That'll do for me they'll think, no doubt...

Returned to work today after time off sorting my dads matters. I can't say I feel completely up to coming back in, and I will be leaving early, but even being here I'm just immediately struck by how much I dislike the job. I've come in to finding issues with another department which we need to rectify which means I have the pleasure of manually running through line after line of numerous spreadsheets, a task not only mindnumbingly dull but also demeaning. I can barely muster the effort to bother.

Apparently there's to be discussion of my wage increasing. I'm not even thinking about that following the last increase actually being so low that I don't actually think my wage in real terms changed (but I should be glad as it was a higher percentage than everyone else got. Unfortunately I'm unable to ignore that a slightly greater percentage of **** all is still **** all). I guess I might go a grand or 2 higher. That'll get me over £20k. That'll do for me they'll think, no doubt...

I don't quite get why you're still there, I know it can be difficult to leave a job because of the 'unknown' element but really, what you describe is hell. 

When you're feeling up to it, and this may take a while so take as much time as you need, but when you do feel up to it, please leave that place, you deserve better.

It's sort of becoming a bit of a joke, knowing that whenever I see your name in this thread, it's inevitable that you'll still be moaning about a job that you clearly hate.

You're a clever guy, leave the job tomorrow, sign up to an agency on a short term 3 month contract doing whatever, and look for jobs whilst you do it.

You'll be in work in no time.  Do yourself a favour.

I've got quite a big decision to make this year. I'm due to finish my AAT qualification, and the company I work for (very small, only 7 FT employees) have mentioned me doing ACCA. I've found the AAT qualification to be fairly easy on the whole, and it hasn't been too boring, as a lot of people would find it. I don't know if I want to take on ACCA though, will be a hard slog, probably 3 years or more, hours of revision, I'm unlikely to enjoy many (if any) aspects of it. Obviously the flipside is my earnings potential would probably double at least, which would then have a big impact on my personal life with what I can do, where I can live etc. It's a difficult decision, as the course could make me miserable, but then it could be argued I won't be happy in the long run if I don't do it as I'll never earn more than 20-odd thousand.

It's sort of becoming a bit of a joke, knowing that whenever I see your name in this thread, it's inevitable that you'll still be moaning about a job that you clearly hate.

You're a clever guy, leave the job tomorrow, sign up to an agency on a short term 3 month contract doing whatever, and look for jobs whilst you do it.

You'll be in work in no time. Do yourself a favour.

That sounds like the worst piece of advice I've ever read.

NEVER quit a job without another job lined up no matter how bad it is. I was always told that it is so much easier to get a job when in a job then when unemployed. I found this to be true. Quit my job to go travelling, came back and despite a degree and decent experience could not for the life of me get even an interview. After 2 and a bit months I finally managed to get a job and from then on the offers were rolling in.

NEVER quit a job without another job lined up no matter how bad it is. I was always told that it is so much easier to get a job when in a job then when unemployed. I found this to be true. Quit my job to go travelling, came back and despite a degree and decent experience could not for the life of me get even an interview. After 2 and a bit months I finally managed to get a job and from then on the offers were rolling in.

I don't see why being in a job has anything to do with getting a new job.  If Chindie dislikes his current job so much, and it helps give him time to properly look for other jobs, I'd quit.

I don't see why being in a job has anything to do with getting a new job. If Chindie dislikes his current job so much, and it helps give him time to properly look for other jobs, I'd quit.

Because it shows you're employable and the awkard questions such as why did you leave without another job to go to does not arise. Also if you are unemployed you are more desperate so are more likely to take any job on offer, as opposed to being able to be picky when in a job already.

As someone who regularly recruits, I'd have to side with Donnie on this one (sorry Lapal) (sorry Donnie).

Anyone who comes in for interview who is not currently working has some work to do to justify why. It's just not the done thing to leave a job without something lined-up and tells me, as a potential boss, that the candidate is not likely to continue when the going gets tough and they don't think strategically. 

Of course, it totally depends on what line of work but knowing a little (from this thread) of what Chinders does, I'd say he is much better off sticking than twisting. 

I've been in a similar position several times in my career and I've been in the situation where I've out of work (through no fault of my own, I might add) and I know it's much easier to find something when you're already doing it (totally unscientific evidence, I know).

Dean, don't forget, you've had some fairly monumental changes in your life recently (for which you have my sympathies). Don't make hasty career decision now. Mindnumbingly dull and potentially demeaning is a part of almost every job and isn't reason enough to jump. By all means, go hard at finding something new - use your contacts, get your name out there with recruiters, get interviews for jobs you don't even want (it's all good practice) but stick with what you've got until something better comes up. Don't forget, it's not all that long ago that you were working in a video game store.

Anyone who comes in for interview who is not currently working has some work to do to justify why. It's just not the done thing to leave a job without something lined-up and tells me, as a potential boss, that the candidate is not likely to continue when the going gets tough and they don't think strategically. 

Have to agree with this from a recruiting perspective but from a personal one I walked with nothing to go to as Id just had enough and needed some time to my self. Yes potentially the worst thing I could have done but I fell on my feet.

You make your own chances and if you are good at your job and have been there a few years you should know people who have left who are in good places. You never know what impact you can have on people so test the water with old colleagues if you managed to create that kind of network. 

I don't see why being in a job has anything to do with getting a new job.  If Chindie dislikes his current job so much, and it helps give him time to properly look for other jobs, I'd quit.

The hard line is man up and do something about it, its easy to stay in job you hate but know you can do as it keeps you secure. Takes some guts to leave what you know. The temp root is ok but its dangerous as you can get stuck in a loop and actually you will probably get paid a little bit more to do the bits of the job you hate now but wont be sure if you will be doing it if anything in a couple of weeks time, as is the life of a temp. 

Thats when you will realise its not about the money but job satisfaction and in general that "perfect job" will not come around if you are not in work. Apply for something every day, interviews will start coming along and you may find that you interview for jobs that make you appreciate parts of your current role and company. 

Can only give yourself options and when the time comes to make a decision you will show yourself what you really think about your current situation by going or staying. 

I've seen people walk, take a month off and then move into a job for more money. 

It really depends on skills and experience, yes it does look 'better' if you're in a job and being in a job can give you some additional leverage in terms of salary but it's not the be all and end all. 

At the end of the day, quitting can allow you to rest, recharge and fully commit to finding something.

I just don't get why you would quit a job when it's perfectly doable to search for jobs when working. No monetary hassle and one can turn down jobs that aren't perfect.

As with everything, its not black and white. There are a number of questions I would ask;

Can you afford to leave without having another job lined up? Or are you living from pay cheque to pay cheque? 

How much do you hate your current job? Are you down to absolutely dreading going in to work or do you just don't like it?

I've always said to myself if it ever got to the stage where I dreaded work i would quit, but without knowing your financial circumstances, its difficult to recommend that. 

Interesting discussion.

My viewpoint would be that in general, you don't leave a role without something else to go to.

And that is certainly the case with me currently. I can't afford to leave without an offer on the table.

I need to go though. I dislike a great deal of the job, a lot of it is, as I said, tedious and doesn't engage me at all, and the other half is very very stressful, with numerous other problems. I find I never feel comfortable in the role and I'm not really in any way fulfilled by it. And the money is hopeless. I should be paid more, for the average of the position. Considerably more.

I've been speaking to recruiters and that's ongoing. I hope to move on. I like the team and the company has been good to me, but I need more in my pocket, now so more than ever.

Fingers crossed.

I agree that maybe you shouldn't leave without something else to go to.

But you should definitely be actively searching for something else.

You've got a degree, you've now got experience, you're clearly an intelligent guy, you're very employable. You should be walking into a job paying more than 20 grand.

And if you don't then you could be doing something else for 20 grand that doesn't make your life hell.

Well I've got a job interview today, I went for this job a few months ago and missed out by the skin of my teeth, to say that I am bricking it is an understatement, for some reason I felt a lot more confident and prepared for the first interview than this one.

It's at 10am, I'm just glad its earlier on in the day so I can get it over and done with.

It wasn't for a Rum taster unfortunately, it was **** tough though, I didn't enjoy that at all, much more difficult than the first interview

I'll find out next week so fingers crossed, I just need someone to take a punt on me and give me a chance to get the experience I need to push on

Edited by leemond2008
  • Like 1

It wasn't for a Rum taster unfortunately, it was **** tough though, I didn't enjoy that at all, much more difficult than the first interview

I'll find out next week so fingers crossed, I just need someone to take a punt on me in the jaw and give me a chance to get the experiance I need to push on

Â