The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

I have a day off today and have my boss texting me...

Why do you take any notice of the texts?It's your day off: ignore them.
Good point. I guess I don't want to let anyone down. I try to do my best for everyone, clients and colleagues, and try to help as much as I can, so I feel like I should respond. Saying that, it is getting harder to care.

It's my personal phone as well, which should annoy me as well. If they need me to be contactable away from the office they should be giving me a phone.

I assume you gave them your personal number rather than them having hacked it while you were at lunch? If it's just a quick text I don't see the harm. At least they haven't phoned and presumably you can then text back at a time convenient to you. There's too much whining about small matters these days. If you don't like it, look for something else, it really is that simple.

My senior manager phones me on my personal phone and it really annoys me.

He has my work number, and I only gave him my personal number because I worked for him a few years back, but then he moved to China for a few years so I gave him my number so he could "keep in touch" (which he didn't)

But now whenever he needs me at work, he uses my personal mobile

Depends on the salary IMO - if youre earning big money - than thats a price you to pay ..... I only get an avaerage wage now - and work only contact me in exceptional circumstances - Im happy with that.

I don't mind being contacted. Unjust object to him using my personal number.

I have a day off today and have my boss texting me...

Why do you take any notice of the texts?It's your day off: ignore them.
Good point. I guess I don't want to let anyone down. I try to do my best for everyone, clients and colleagues, and try to help as much as I can, so I feel like I should respond. Saying that, it is getting harder to care.

It's my personal phone as well, which should annoy me as well. If they need me to be contactable away from the office they should be giving me a phone.

I assume you gave them your personal number rather than them having hacked it while you were at lunch?  If it's just a quick text I don't see the harm.  At least they haven't phoned and presumably you can then text back at a time convenient to you.  There's too much whining about small matters these days.  If you don't like it, look for something else, it really is that simple.

My senior manager phones me on my personal phone and it really annoys me.

He has my work number, and I only gave him my personal number because I worked for him a few years back, but then he moved to China for a few years so I gave him my number so he could "keep in touch" (which he didn't)

But now whenever he needs me at work, he uses my personal mobile

Depends on the salary IMO - if youre earning big money - than thats a price you to pay ..... I only get an avaerage wage now - and work only contact me in exceptional circumstances - Im happy with that.

I've just had my boss telling me I need to go to Oxford to fix a PC even though they knew full well that I'm off until January. I said they only way I could do that would be to go up tomorrow and they didn't bat an eyelid. I wouldn't mind but we pay an external company to do all this kind of support but they haven't got anyone available until the New Year and fixing PC's is totally not my job.

.....and thats why I got out of IT - people are just so reliant on the systems, they will do 'Whatever it takes' to get up and running quickly....being called in on a days holiday was pretty regular IME

Edited by smetrov

Just curious. What do people consider a 'bad, 'average' or 'good' salary?

Probably best to split out by age ranges.

Late teen:-

Mid 20s:-

30:-

40:-

50:-

I'd be intrigued to see the spread of responses.

Keep talking about my age today.........! 52 and I would say £25k is an average salary ...........£45k + is a good salary

If you're salary is higher than your age, then you're doing OK.

yeah, as a very basic rule of thumb this is the simplest way to measure. 

Excluding your first 2 years at work when you are just trying to get experience, and 50+ when you might be wanting to wind down. 

A very personal thing isn't it?  Salaries I mean.  I get very uneasy if someone asks me how much I earn.  Ask me about anything else and I'll chew your ear off.

That's a bit aggressive. I guess I won't ask you anything.

• Like 1

Depends where you live I suppose.

In London I would say £30k to £35k is average.  £40k to £50k is a decent salary.  £50k to £65k is a good salary and £65k + is a very good salary.

Probably about right but even then, you've next to no chance of getting on the property ladder. Even a salary of £60 will get you a mortgage of around £200k which will get you next to nothing (based on the average 3.5x salary).

Have they tried switching it off and switching it on again?

That's all I'm going to do. Then I'm going to bank the mileage for a round-trip despite the fact that I was heading up the M40 anyway ;)

Depends where you live I suppose.

In London I would say £30k to £35k is average.  £40k to £50k is a decent salary.  £50k to £65k is a good salary and £65k + is a very good salary.

£30K to £35K wouldn't get you very far in London at all imho.  If you lived outside, a good chunk would be swallowed with travel.

I think us Brits hate talking about how much we earn on the whole.

I'm really enjoying my job at Fujitsu. I never thought I'd ever be working in IT but here I am. I work on a helpdesk basically. Really chilled out work and I deal with all UK and Ireland users. So basically, if you work for Fujitsu in the UK or Ireland then you call us. We're the only desk that does it. There's scope for advancement as well. I've already been asked to teach English within the entire GDC. (800 people)

Good hours and when 5 o clock comes, I go home and forget about work. Money isn't great but apparently it's good for Poland.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I'm really enjoying my job at Fujitsu. I never thought I'd ever be working in IT but here I am. I work on a helpdesk basically. Really chilled out work and I deal with all UK and Ireland users. So basically, if you work for Fujitsu in the UK or Ireland then you call us. We're the only desk that does it. There's scope for advancement as well. I've already been asked to teach English within the entire GDC. (800 people)

Good hours and when 5 o clock comes, I go home and forget about work. Money isn't great but apparently it's good for Poland.

What happened to the teacher job? If you don't mind me asking.

Thanks mate. :)

I didn't expect to come and work in IT. It was just a job my friend was doing and I needed something to pass the time while I sorted my teaching abroad qualifications. But now I've found out I can teach over here within the company and work my way up through the company. Whatever job I do here, having a name like Fujitsu on your CV is good I think.

Just curious. What do people consider a 'bad, 'average' or 'good' salary?

Probably best to split out by age ranges.

Late teen:-

Mid 20s:-

30:-

40:-

50:-

I'd be intrigued to see the spread of responses.

Late teen:- At university

Mid 20s:- 30k

30:- 50k

40:- 75k

50:- 100k

I'm not suggesting this is normal (or is my salary now or aspiration) but based on the cost of living in the UK I reckon this is what you'd need to be comfortable...

Â