The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Interested in your best interview tips, VT. I'm on the lookout for something new and my CV is clearly making an impact with people as I'm getting a lot of interviews for interesting roles but, as yet, no offers.

I have another interview next week but, apart from this run, I'm very rusty. All the normal tips like be on time and look smart etc are fine but obvious, beyond that how do you good people prepare for an interview? 

Do as much research into the company as possible. Make reference to it throughout.

I interviewed a number of candidates last week and when asked what they know about my organisation, two of them said "nothing" one gave a good, short précis and the final one spoke in such detail that he immediately shot to the top of the list. He'd found our corporate plan, our outward-facing policies and a whole bunch of other info. I guess it helps that we are a fairly transparent organisation so there's a lot of info out there but he clearly worked out what was important, what was relevant to the role and focussed on those areas.

The only knock on him was the aubergine suit but I made it a condition of the job offer that he was not allowed to wear it to work.

• Like 1

DHUTWU

Haha. There was one interview where that would definitely have been a desirable outcome. I think I subconsciously changed my manner as it went on into a casual flirt mode. By the time I'd got home from the interview it was a no. 

Interested in your best interview tips, VT. I'm on the lookout for something new and my CV is clearly making an impact with people as I'm getting a lot of interviews for interesting roles but, as yet, no offers.

I have another interview next week but, apart from this run, I'm very rusty. All the normal tips like be on time and look smart etc are fine but obvious, beyond that how do you good people prepare for an interview?

The best tip I've ever been given is use STAR when describing situations and experiences in answers to questions. So rather than just answering a question by jumping straight in, structure your answer with Situation, Task. Action and Result.

Situation is what you were doing, where you were working etc.

Task is what role you were given or problem you were faced with.

Action is what you did to tackle that task and why.

And result is what the end result of your action was.

I use this for applications and interviews and it's so much easier to answer questions when you structure them. Stops you rambling aswell.

If you have a google I'm sure it will explain it bette than I have but it takes the nerves away when you can focus on structuring your answer.

And make sure you practice before with situations you're likely to draw on so that you know where you're going to lead with it.

Chindie, I think I might have offered this before but just in case you missed it - I am a recruiter and I am more than happy to take a look at your cv for you and send it onto my colleagues to see if they have any suitable roles in your area. Send me a PM and I will pop you my work email.

This goes for anyone else who might be looking at other things. I mainly recruit contractors for a variety of organisations so I am more than happy to help you find something new or, help you find good candidates for your business. Just drop me a line

I couldn't wait to finish studying and get a job. But now it seems like it's a pain in the arse....

I'll just become a stripper.

(But seriously, I hope I can get into Microbiology and maybe into working with disease and study them, maybe find a cure).

I've got quite a big decision to make this year. I'm due to finish my AAT qualification, and the company I work for (very small, only 7 FT employees) have mentioned me doing ACCA. I've found the AAT qualification to be fairly easy on the whole, and it hasn't been too boring, as a lot of people would find it. I don't know if I want to take on ACCA though, will be a hard slog, probably 3 years or more, hours of revision, I'm unlikely to enjoy many (if any) aspects of it. Obviously the flipside is my earnings potential would probably double at least, which would then have a big impact on my personal life with what I can do, where I can live etc. It's a difficult decision, as the course could make me miserable, but then it could be argued I won't be happy in the long run if I don't do it as I'll never earn more than 20-odd thousand.

Although money isn't everything. Do the ACCA qualification. It will open lots of jobs for you in different areas and potentially abroad. My best mate was in the same predicament and now earns 50k plus at one of the biggest banks in the world. Plus he travels a lot and enjoys it.

• Like 1

I couldn't wait to finish studying and get a job. But now it seems like it's a pain in the arse....

I'll just become a stripper.

(But seriously, I hope I can get into Microbiology and maybe into working with disease and study them, maybe find a cure).

Getting a job when leaving college was a pain in the arse, luckily I got lucky and one of my family members saw that a job was going in a different department to theirs at the place they work at. 

Not letting me quote for some reason but in response to Omariqy, I may have to bite the bullet and battle through it, although I won't finish it until I'm 30, it could well mean a much more exciting and enjoyable career ahead.

Go for it - I finished the technical exams of the ACA in under 2 years and I couldn't recommend doing a professional qualification more highly. Sure, the periods during which you are locked in revision aren't brilliant, but remember these are only 6 weeks or so at a time.

If you've found AAT relatively easy you're going to have a head-start when it comes to the ACCA, with potentially a fair few exemptions to boot. Good luck!

• Like 1

It wasn't for a Rum taster unfortunately, it was **** tough though, I didn't enjoy that at all, much more difficult than the first interview

I'll find out next week so fingers crossed, I just need someone to take a punt on me and give me a chance to get the experience I need to push on

I find out in about 90 minutes if I got the job or not, fingers crossed

It wasn't for a Rum taster unfortunately, it was **** tough though, I didn't enjoy that at all, much more difficult than the first interview

I'll find out next week so fingers crossed, I just need someone to take a punt on me and give me a chance to get the experience I need to push on

I find out in about 90 minutes if I got the job or not, fingers crossed

Well?  :)

I was supposed to have a quick meeting at 2:15pm to tell me the outcome, at 2:00pm I had an email saying "meeting cancelled will reschedule asap"

I'm guessing from that I haven't got it and they are scared to tell me just in case some disgruntled soul plants a volley square on their jaw

Â