The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

I recently moved jobs after being with the same company for 6 years.  Like Chindie I felt a loyalty to them as I moved up the ranks within that company and they helped me develop.  However, the last 2 years of that they did hold me back in terms of salary and position.  I left in October after getting 3 offers from other companies.  I increased my salary by 42% and although the company I am with now is much smaller I am much happier.  What I am saying is that the grass isn't always greener but it usually is.

Loyalty is a bit of a mugs game in my opinion, and companies often exploit it in order to pay current staff less than they are worth. The fact is, any company will get rid of you if they have to, so there's no point being blindly loyal. If a company isn't paying you what you are worth, and is not rewarding you financially for being good at your job, then you absolutely must leave, because the chances are, you will get more elsewhere.

I was a teacher and it was all I ever wanted to do. Then I decided I'd rather have a life.

It's true. Do something you enjoy doing rather than chase the money (and teaching money in the UK is shite as well)

What was it about teaching you didn't like, out of curiosity?

I certainly agree, though. The money isn't important (as long as it's decent) and I wouldn't leave teaching for anything, no matter what they offered me. I absolutely love every minute of my work day.

It's a shame about teachers' salaries in the UK. Wages are higher in Norway anyway, but it's shocking to me that I make twice as much as a colleague in a, generally, fairly similar country.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to apply for a new job tonight when I get home it seems absolutely perfect. I had a very good relationship with my current boss, but he basically promised me study leave if I went on and did further exams, and when that time came, he said I wouldn't have any, I just haven't felt the same since. So going to apply for this tonight. Anyone have any good cv or cover letter advice I haven't done one in about 5 years.

I was a teacher and it was all I ever wanted to do. Then I decided I'd rather have a life.

It's true. Do something you enjoy doing rather than chase the money (and teaching money in the UK is shite as well)

What was it about teaching you didn't like, out of curiosity?

Everything.

I was an NQT constantly compared to the other NQT in the school. It was a full of women so it was a bitchy environment. I was pressured to work harder and to give up my hobbies even though I was already working 65 hour weeks with work at home as well as work at school. It was the 'we can't tell you what to do in your spare time but we'd advise...' etc. I was held in as high standards as the other teachers who had been working for years, was criticised by people who did their NQT year when teaching was a joke and the criticisms were total double standards. I was shouted at for not uploading stuff to the school website, when the person who shouted at me hadn't either.

Constantly told I wasn't good enough with no advice on how to improve because we were expecting Ofsted later that year. I was miserable. Working as hard as I could (within limits) and it wasn't good enough.

To be honest, I could have done more but that would have meant doing 60 hours in the week and 15 hours at the weekend (like my sister does) and I wasn't willing to do it at 22.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Going to apply for a new job tonight when I get home it seems absolutely perfect. I had a very good relationship with my current boss, but he basically promised me study leave if I went on and did further exams, and when that time came, he said I wouldn't have any, I just haven't felt the same since. So going to apply for this tonight. Anyone have any good cv or cover letter advice I haven't done one in about 5 years.

I heard that you should rub cum on the letter because some people like the smell, or something like that anyway.

• Like 1

Don't do this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/238gjz/tifu_after_applying_for_over_30_jobs/

• Like 3

I heard that you should rub cum on the letter because some people like the smell, or something like that anyway.

If it's an email should I attach a link?

• Like 1

Everything.

I was an NQT constantly compared to the other NQT in the school. It was a full of women so it was a bitchy environment. I was pressured to work harder and to give up my hobbies even though I was already working 65 hour weeks with work at home as well as work at school. It was the 'we can't tell you what to do in your spare time but we'd advise...' etc. I was held in as high standards as the other teachers who had been working for years, was criticised by people who did their NQT year when teaching was a joke and the criticisms were total double standards. I was shouted at for not uploading stuff to the school website, when the person who shouted at me hadn't either.

Constantly told I wasn't good enough with no advice on how to improve because we were expecting Ofsted later that year. I was miserable. Working as hard as I could (within limits) and it wasn't good enough.

To be honest, I could have done more but that would have meant doing 60 hours in the week and 15 hours at the weekend (like my sister does) and I wasn't willing to do it at 22.

Wow, reading that genuinely made me feel sad. That is so unlike my own experiences it is hard to believe we're talking about the same thing! I don't blame you for not putting up with that - you shouldn't. Is it like that everywhere and for all teachers in the UK?

I know I'm lucky, even by Norwegian standards. All of my collegues are relaxed and extremely helpful. I'm supposed to work 43 hours per week, and I usually do, but I'm completely in charge of my own time and noone expects me to do anything other than teach the kids and do my job. Having a life besides work is seen as a good thing and us teachers make sure we remind eachother not to work too much (and that's important, mind!).

We have a great union, too.

This ensures I have enough energy to be an enthusiastic teacher when I'm in the class room. I have time to take care of the kids as young persons, not just as pupils. I can build positive relationships with them, laugh with them. And when you're allowed to be that kind of teacher, it's the best damn job in the world. I know there are teachers in Norway who feel they have to work way too hard, but nothing like what you write.

The environment you describe is ultimately a great disservice to the kids. They need teachers who are motivated and enjoy their job. That's impossible if you can't combine work with a private life.

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 2

The one that drove me over the edge was the marking, specifically my handwriting.

I was expected to mark 90 books an evening, which was possible in my own handwriting. But it wasn't considered good enough so I had to improve it. Which made marking the books take double the time. Then I was shouted at for not marking my books.

The one that drove me over the edge was the marking, specifically my handwriting.

I was expected to mark 90 books an evening, which was possible in my own handwriting. But it wasn't considered good enough so I had to improve it. Which made marking the books take double the time. Then I was shouted at for not marking my books.

That's ridiculous. What's the point of doing that every night? And 90 of them? And who cares about handwriting?

How old were the kids?

Jobs going at Chateau The_Rev.  If you fancy working with me, feel free to apply.  You've got until April 9th.  (click here)

Job Vacancies
We pride ourselves on being one of the best train operators in the UK, but with 9/10 passengers satisfied, we know we can do even better.

We now carry more than twice the number of people on our trains as we did ten years ago, with a fleet that's also doubled in size. It's no coincidence that we've invested over £400m on improvements for passengers during this period - or that our annual turnover has more than doubled to an impressive £123m.

To keep the momentum going, we are always on the lookout for new talent to join our team. All of our current vacancies are listed below, where you can find further information, including the job description, and key details about our terms and conditions of employment.

• Like 1

Jobs going at Chateau The_Rev. If you fancy working with me, feel free to apply. You've got until April 9th. (click here)

Job Vacancies

We pride ourselves on being one of the best train operators in the UK, but with 9/10 passengers satisfied, we know we can do even better.

We now carry more than twice the number of people on our trains as we did ten years ago, with a fleet that's also doubled in size. It's no coincidence that we've invested over £400m on improvements for passengers during this period - or that our annual turnover has more than doubled to an impressive £123m.

To keep the momentum going, we are always on the lookout for new talent to join our team. All of our current vacancies are listed below, where you can find further information, including the job description, and key details about our terms and conditions of employment.

What sorts of things do they look for in a candidate Rev?

Â