The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

I have a day off today and have my boss texting me about where we are with some renewals and if I have them all invited. I've explained before I can't invite them as the insurer has requested numerous extra details before putting forward any terms. His text is going on about how crucial it is we get these all renewed to our final numbers - I already know this, but what am I going to do about it? I've requested the details from all the clients, explained the policy ends soon and we need thme to get back to us, get a price and renew, and it's my day off.

Increasingly I'm feeling like I don't want to do this shit anymore. It's incredibly stressful for a long part of the year and I'm laughably underpaid, have been given very little instruction as I've been required to pick it up as I go along and spend most of the day treading on eggshells as you worry about anything going wrong. And weird stuff is happening in the wider business.

Oh and my colleague who resigned? Her job had to be posted on the company intranet for internal vacancies. I saw the predicted salary and it made me sick. Quite literally more than double my salary. No wonder she was shocked when I suggested where mine was.

There is no harm at all interviewing for other jobs. Go do it, I often think it's very good exercise to keep you informed around what salary you can command elsewhere. Also if you are in a job already it's not stressful doing interviews as you are not desperate. then what will happen is the right job and offer comes along and you have to go take it. 

Some people just get to the point of, I've had enough and resign, or set a very short space of time for them to get another job. What they end up doing is often jumping from a job they have hated to a job they end up hating a little less. 

Plan out a timeline, say 6 month to get used to interviews, refine your CV get used to the idea of moving to a new job mentally.

• Like 2

Left my job today, extremely sad to have left and didn't realise until I left the building. My team have commented a fair few times recently how much happier I seem and they are seeing my personality again so I know I've done the right thing. But still sad to leave behind some great people and a successful team of which I employed all 16.

Onwards and upwards, could be the worst decision I've ever made but I'm going find out.

Good luck Nicho! I'm assuming you have something else to go into?

It is weird leaving, I was like that when I left my previous employers last month. First week of my new job I was thinking "oh crap what have I done?" .... Month later, loving it!!!

Btw, if there are any IT contractors or people with experience of developing ATM/cashless payment systems looking for new roles and would like to get in touch please PM me! (Sorry mods if that's not allowed!)

Edited by Tayls

I have a day off today and have my boss texting me about where we are with some renewals and if I have them all invited. I've explained before I can't invite them as the insurer has requested numerous extra details before putting forward any terms. His text is going on about how crucial it is we get these all renewed to our final numbers - I already know this, but what am I going to do about it? I've requested the details from all the clients, explained the policy ends soon and we need thme to get back to us, get a price and renew, and it's my day off.

Increasingly I'm feeling like I don't want to do this shit anymore. It's incredibly stressful for a long part of the year and I'm laughably underpaid, have been given very little instruction as I've been required to pick it up as I go along and spend most of the day treading on eggshells as you worry about anything going wrong. And weird stuff is happening in the wider business.

Oh and my colleague who resigned? Her job had to be posted on the company intranet for internal vacancies. I saw the predicted salary and it made me sick. Quite literally more than double my salary. No wonder she was shocked when I suggested where mine was.

There is no harm at all interviewing for other jobs. Go do it, I often think it's very good exercise to keep you informed around what salary you can command elsewhere. Also if you are in a job already it's not stressful doing interviews as you are not desperate. then what will happen is the right job and offer comes along and you have to go take it. 

Some people just get to the point of, I've had enough and resign, or set a very short space of time for them to get another job. What they end up doing is often jumping from a job they have hated to a job they end up hating a little less. 

Plan out a timeline, say 6 month to get used to interviews, refine your CV get used to the idea of moving to a new job mentally.

Thats largely where I'm at the moment. I suppose in recruitment speak I'm 'open to new opportunities'.

I had some developments yesterday that didn't really help my thoughts. Long story short I had a conversation with my boss and found out my bonus should be good, which is something, but then enquired about the future of my role and didn't like what I heard. My boss admits a lot of my job is 'beneath me' (his words, not mine), but said next year is more of the same. I mentioned a few worries I had, issues... stress, workload and associated pay, progression. The answer came that there had been an agreement to see my wage rise this year already in place, but I will still be underpaid in my view. He understood my position, he said, and would try to do more but effectively shut that down in the same breath - the company doesn't 'do' major change in salary. Cynically, from looking around me at any rate, what the company does is shove you in a box and then fight to keep you there. Unless you can game the system and have friends in the right places.

The vacancy I mentioned previously, is going to my colleague who will be switching roles. Theres some odd cloak and dagger stuff about that, as they have never done a similar role and have no experience of it, but they're getting it anyway. You'd think maybe that opens things up for me, this colleague is my team mate, in essence, and is considered more senior (in actuality I've actually worked in this segment longer, but doing different things - either way neither of us could call ourselves veterans). But no, I'm not ready for it (strange that said colleague, getting the job last year, had never had any experience of the segment and walked into the role, with obvious coaching from HR. Said HR actually put up a fight to let me have my current position - ever get the feeling your face doesn't fit?), and they'll bring in someone for that role and leave me as is.

It's a shame, as I like the people I work with and I daresay there's worse places to work, but I've got to start earning some proper money now and it seems it'll take years to do that, unless my boss pulls off a miracle. The job itself isn't exactly great either, half of it is too simple for me and the other half is a horror show of stress and exceptionally long hours - it's either be stifled by tedium or choked by workload.

My number one problem in a lot of places in this country is that there is a bad culture of holding people back, giving "mates" jobs instead of the best people for the work.

The only way I've found to earn more money is by getting sacked (twice) and leaving 2 jobs for more money.  Eventually however, only working at certain places for 1 year to 18 months doesn't look great on your CV and questions are asked in interviews I've had regarding loyalty (one of the jobs I got sacked for after 12 months actually :lol:).

Summary of My Career

Age 17-30 - Just did enough get by - had enough to run a car go out fri sat nights

30-40 - wen't through a really ambiotus stage - worked my ass off and ended up with a well paid job as an IT Manager

42 - Totally stressed out of my tree - and having a family - decided these high salary jobs come at a price....

42-45 - Extremley stressed - suffered with anxiey\depression - quit 2 very well paid jobs for the sake of my health.....

45-52 (Now) - Crap money but at last have job that doesn't stress me out of my tree - much happier here than in my high salary\high pressure jobs

Edited by smetrov

I have a day off today and have my boss texting me...

Why do you take any notice of the texts?It's your day off: ignore them.
Good point. I guess I don't want to let anyone down. I try to do my best for everyone, clients and colleagues, and try to help as much as I can, so I feel like I should respond. Saying that, it is getting harder to care.

It's my personal phone as well, which should annoy me as well. If they need me to be contactable away from the office they should be giving me a phone.

I assume you gave them your personal number rather than them having hacked it while you were at lunch?  If it's just a quick text I don't see the harm.  At least they haven't phoned and presumably you can then text back at a time convenient to you.  There's too much whining about small matters these days.  If you don't like it, look for something else, it really is that simple.

As long as it's not the dreaded blue ticks on whatsapp he will never know your read the text.  Ignore it. 

Risso is right.  I was at my last place for 6 years and loved it for 5 years.  The last year was awful and I hated going in.  I made the change after much deliberation and it was truly the best choice I could've ever made.  It's not that the next place may be that much better but you just need that change from time to time to freshen things up and give you that buzz again.

Good point. I guess I don't want to let anyone down. I try to do my best for everyone, clients and colleagues, and try to help as much as I can, so I feel like I should respond. Saying that, it is getting harder to care.

It's my personal phone as well, which should annoy me as well. If they need me to be contactable away from the office they should be giving me a phone.

I assume you gave them your personal number rather than them having hacked it while you were at lunch?  If it's just a quick text I don't see the harm.  At least they haven't phoned and presumably you can then text back at a time convenient to you.  There's too much whining about small matters these days.  If you don't like it, look for something else, it really is that simple.

My senior manager phones me on my personal phone and it really annoys me.

He has my work number, and I only gave him my personal number because I worked for him a few years back, but then he moved to China for a few years so I gave him my number so he could "keep in touch" (which he didn't)

But now whenever he needs me at work, he uses my personal mobile

He has my work number, and I only gave him my personal number because I worked for him a few years back, but then he moved to China for a few years so I gave him my number so he could "keep in touch" (which he didn't)

Depends on the salary IMO - if youre earning big money - than thats a price you to pay ..... I only get an avaerage wage now - and work only contact me in exceptional circumstances - Im happy with that.

My chairman uses my personal number.  I have a work mobile phone, but to be honest, what's the point?  That just means carrying two phones round with you.

Depends on the salary IMO - if youre earning big money - than thats a price you to pay ..... I only get an avaerage wage now - and work only contact me in exceptional circumstances - Im happy with that.

I've just had my boss telling me I need to go to Oxford to fix a PC even though they knew full well that I'm off until January. I said they only way I could do that would be to go up tomorrow and they didn't bat an eyelid. I wouldn't mind but we pay an external company to do all this kind of support but they haven't got anyone available until the New Year and fixing PC's is totally not my job.

Â