The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

I had an interview for a copywriter job today. It's pretty local and definitely something I could do - well, I've done it before but lots of things vary dependent on who you're working for and what it is the business does and this would be something different for me. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Good luck Ginko!

I've just used a career planner on prospects.ac.uk - initial findings for me ( with humanities degrees ) have very good matches including: academic librarian ( plausible ) and clinical molecular geneticist :crylaugh:

Excuse me whilst I grow sceptical of aptitude tests. 

• Like 1

Ever done the Jung typology/Briggs Meyer personality test? It gives an insight into your personality and offers some examples of careers that may suit. It was pretty accurate for me to be fair. I did it and it suggested journalism, marketing, law that kind of thing. 

Ever done the Jung typology/Briggs Meyer personality test? It gives an insight into your personality and offers some examples of careers that may suit. It was pretty accurate for me to be fair. I did it and it suggested journalism, marketing, law that kind of thing. 

According to that, I am management material. Half the work and twice the pay. B)

I've been offered a job in Leeds.

Junior FD for a Marketing Agency.

Don't know what to do  :mellow:

Go for it, England is a really small country and moving never puts you too far away from anybody.

Stevo,

As someone who doesn't know you personally, you have some thinking to do.

Where do you live now?  Do you have a girlfriend/wife?  Do you own a house?  etc etc.

But honestly, if I were putting myself in your position, I'd do it.

I've been a bit frightend about moving away from familiar surroundings my entire life, but I have friends who live in Portsmouth and they absolutely love it.  I have friends who live in Carlisle and really enjoy the "outdoorsy" stuff. 

Just remember, Portsmouth to Leeds is 4 hours in a car, it's no time at all - and if you seriously think you can make a difference to your quality of life, then you should absolutely go for it.

But everyone is different, but it could be a good thing :)

No, but I'll give them ago. Might as well, have nothing else to do :P

Stevo,

Where do you live now?  Do you have a girlfriend/wife?  Do you own a house?  etc etc.

I've been a bit frightend about moving away from familiar surroundings my entire life, but I have friends who live in Portsmouth and they absolutely love it.  I have friends who live in Carlisle and really enjoy the "outdoorsy" stuff. 

Just remember, Portsmouth to Leeds is 4 hours in a car, it's no time at all - and if you seriously think you can make a difference to your quality of life, then you should absolutely go for it.

If taking his advice Stevo just remember Lapal is not in South East Asia ;)

• Like 1

Stevo,

It's not the moving away that worries me. I lived in leeds for 3 years at uni and it's close enough to come home fairly often.

It's more the gf and family being in brum, and the fact I'd be leaving a good job here with decent future prospects.

I haven't even seen a job spec or anything yet, just got some thinking to do

Lapal lives 2 roads away from me. I wish he'd take his own advice!... ;)

I was here first! You just follow me around like a bad fart.  The acid test will be when I go to Canada (eh?) ;)

It's not the moving away that worries me. I lived in leeds for 3 years at uni and it's close enough to come home fairly often.

It's more the gf and family being in brum, and the fact I'd be leaving a good job here with decent future prospects.

If you currently are in a job you're happy with, with possible future prospects, in a place where you're content, with a girlfriend - why would you move?

I think I remember you said recently you got a decent promotion at work as well! :)

Have a look at the job, but you seem pretty settled with a bright future where you are now.

I was just chucking my 2 cents in there :)

Go for it, England is a really small country and moving never puts you too far away from anybody.

If you hadn't bought a house you'd have an easier decision on your hands  :rolleyes:

But really, from experience the best way to improve your career is to switch companies a couple of times. Waiting around in one place to get a promotion isn't the best option in the long run. Even if you move for 18 months and then look for work back in Brum then you'll have cut a couple of years off your career path most likely. 

I'd go for it. 

Don't know what to do :mellow:

Stevo,

Where do you live now? Do you have a girlfriend/wife? Do you own a house? etc etc.

I've been a bit frightend about moving away from familiar surroundings my entire life, but I have friends who live in Portsmouth and they absolutely love it. I have friends who live in Carlisle and really enjoy the "outdoorsy" stuff.

How much more salary will you be getting compared to your current position??

If its less than 10k a year more dont seem worth the stress of uprooting if your happy here with gf, family, friends, etc.

If your not happy here, than fresh start and all that plus a bit more cash.

Edited by donnie

How do you guys deal with recruitment agencies

Do you send your CV off to multiple agencies or just stick with one or two?

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to giving your CV to all of them in the Birmingham area?

Â