The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

So I have an interview for a job I really want. The only thing is I am not 100% clued up in the sector because I have never worked in it before. Suffice to say I am nervous as hell... I struggle with interviews.

So I have an interview for a job I really want. The only thing is I am not 100% clued up in the sector because I have never worked in it before. Suffice to say I am nervous as hell... I struggle with interviews.

Whats the role entail and in what sector??

Just do lots of research before the interview enough so you can blag you know what your doing, dress like a pimp and im sure your be fine.

Im guessing your still in employment so you have nothing to lose if you get it or not. If not shit happens. In 50 years time no one going to give a shit about the jobs they worked but instead will reflect on what they have done in life and the places they have been too.

Good luck.

Just do lots of research before the interview enough so you can blag you know what your doing, dress like a pimp and im sure your be fine.

Im guessing your still in employment so you have nothing to lose if you get it or not. If not shit happens. In 50 years time no one going to give a shit about the jobs they worked but instead will reflect on what they have done in life and the places they have been too.

Good luck.

Thanks donnie.

It's a job with a local council in the planning dept. I currently work in recruitment and have done so for the past 5yrs. (Since I was 20). I have a keen interest in the area and I know people in it, one of which has suggested I apply and is on the interview panel (awkward), but it is still stuff I really have no idea about!

Just worried that I will draw a blank when asked a question and look a rigggght tit :)

Edited by Tayls

I've been offered a job in Leeds.

Junior FD for a Marketing Agency.

Don't know what to do  :mellow:

Go for it, England is a really small country and moving never puts you too far away from anybody.

If you hadn't bought a house you'd have an easier decision on your hands  :rolleyes:

House doesn't come into the decision ;)

I can fairly easily rent my place out and cover the mortgage even with management fees.

It's something I've actually considered doing anyway, as one of the only regrets I have about buying my place is that I never lived in the centre of Birmingham (or any city)

Good luck.

Thanks donnie.

It's a job with a local council in the planning dept. I currently work in recruitment and have done so for the past 5yrs. (Since I was 20). I have a keen interest in the area and I know people in it, one of which has suggested I apply and is on the interview panel (awkward), but it is still stuff I really have no idea about!

Just worried that I will draw a blank when asked a question and look a rigggght tit :)

Firstly it's a good sign that someone who is interviewing you asked you to apply. It's not awkward or a negative at all. 

Next, they will know you don't have experience in the sector, it's not on your CV. So they won't expect you to know answers to detailed questions about planning.

I'd make sure you come across well, that you are eager and that you really want the job. Try to put forward some of your ideas/ elaborate on some things if given the opportunity. Ask questions at the end of an interview, have researched and have 2 questions prepared to ask them. 

Don't try make up answers to things you don't know, say you don't know or explain the limited amount you know and stop their. The worst thing is people pretending they know something they don't, it makes me believe that they are pretending / making up other things on their CV.

Best of luck. 

Dress properly for an interview and turn up 5 mins early. As they say, people who don't take pride in their appearance / punctuality for an interview are not going to do the same for the job itself.

• 1 month later...

I've a 2nd interview tomorrow. It's composed of 3 parts, I've to do a 15 minute presentation followed by 20 mins Q&A. Then have two 45 minute interviews.

Have to stay late this evening in work to use power point and Visio to write up this presentation. Then got to manage to get out for 2 hours without being asked questions tomorrow to do the interview.

• 3 months later...

CVByrne - how did the interview go?

Gentleman, I have a situation and I need major advice. So, I am set to leave my current employers on Tuesday, as I have had enough and needed a change. I was offered 2 jobs recently. One was £5k more than the other, but the lesser paid role is a chance for me to get into account management. (I work in recruitment). The other role is very internal recruitment focused. I have met teams from both, one of them even invited me to their launch event recently which was good. (That was the lesser paid role). Also, it's worth me pointing out that the higher paid job was offered to me by my former boss who left my current employers last year. What the hell do I do!!! I'm supposed to start the lesser paid job on Wednesday.

Pros and cons for each -

Less paid - pros - account management role, no targets, very team focused, growing company, converted barn offices, 10 mins from house

Less paid - cons - less salary, driving in own car to various sites around London from time to time, company of about 60/70 people.

Higher paid - pros - big salary increase, mobile & laptop, small internal recruitment team in a FTSE 100 company, working with old boss(?)

Higher paid - cons - 40min travel time, pure internal recruitment role - could I get bored?, working with old boss(?)

I have no idea what to do!!!!!!!

from your summaries of the two, the lesser paid role sounds like it's more preferable for you professionally in the long run. And targets are shit anyway. Will the lesser paid one cause a drop off in your current living standards. What room is there for progress in the higher paid one?

As Rodders has said, will the lesser paid job be less than what you are on now? Will it have a detrimental impact on the standard of your life? If not, then If it was my decision then I would lean towards that...

Closer to home so less travel is a big plus... that 40 mins could easily turn into 90 mins with bad traffic or roadworks on the higher paid job. Also you put mobile and laptop as a plus on the higher paid.. i'd put it as a minus! That's their way of telling you they expect to be able to get hold of you outside of working hours and that you will have to work at home in the evenings / weekends when required. 

it ultimately depends on what you prefer more.. money or job satisfaction. Knowing what I do now i'd choose the latter... coming from the guy who chose the former! 

Ha, I can't make a decision based on a coin toss! Silly.

So, both roles are more than my current role in terms of basic, but my current role offers OTE which is achievable (about 3k), but I am fed up of working towards the same damn targets. Both new jobs have no targets. Which is awesome. The higher paid job is more than my current with bonus included, the less paid is more basic but less when you add on the bonus - short by about 2k.

True about the working distance. The higher paid job is in the same town as my current job (actually it's less central than my current job and is easier to get to), so it wouldn't be anything that I am not used to in terms of travel time. The less paid job involves me travelling to Dartford, which is a bit of a bitch - as well as two other locations just outside the M25. I can claim back 45p a mile but I would have to use my own car (would then need business insurance).

The less paid job will also involve working on an RPO account - never a secure thing. The higher paid job is all internal recruitment for a FTSE 100 company....

Edited by Tayls

I'd go for the higher paid job personally. I'd guess that most people don't enjoy their job, that's why we get paid to go to them! You think the change into account management is a pro, but what's to say you won't get fed up of that in a few years?

Ha, I can't make a decision based on a coin toss! Silly.

So, both roles are more than my current role in terms of basic, but my current role offers OTE which is achievable (about 3k), but I am fed up of working towards the same damn targets. Both new jobs have no targets. Which is awesome. The higher paid job is more than my current with bonus included, the less paid is more basic but less when you add on the bonus - short by about 2k.

True about the working distance. The higher paid job is in the same town as my current job (actually it's less central than my current job and is easier to get to), so it wouldn't be anything that I am not used to in terms of travel time. The less paid job involves me travelling to Dartford, which is a bit of a bitch - as well as two other locations just outside the M25. I can claim back 45p a mile but I would have to use my own car (would then need business insurance).

The less paid job will also involve working on an RPO account - never a secure thing. The higher paid job is all internal recruitment for a FTSE 100 company....

A couple of things.... 

1) Dartford is a **** hole. Avoid at all costs. 

2) Business insurance is the same as non-business insurance, just shop about a bit. 

So, the lower paid job is less secure than the higher paid job and involves more travel (including visiting Dartford on a regular basis. 

Why are you even confused about this.....take the money. Even if you hate it, stick it for a year or two and move on. 

I've got 3 interviews at 3 different companies lined up over the next week and a half (two of which are the second stage), to say I've bitten off more than I can chew is an understatement given I'm working fulltime. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I've got 3 interviews at 3 different companies lined up over the next week and a half (two of which are the second stage), to say I've bitten off more than I can chew is an understatement given I'm working fulltime. 

Just be your normal, charming self and everything will be ok.

• Like 1

Gentleman, I have a situation and I need major advice.....

Higher paid - pros - big salary increase, mobile & laptop, small internal recruitment team in a FTSE 100 company, working with old boss(?)

Higher paid - cons - 40min travel time, pure internal recruitment role - could I get bored?, working with old boss(?)

Whatever you decide, good luck. What strikes me is the bit I've quoted.

The travel time and salary. If you're spending an extra 30 mins each way travelling for the higher paid job, that's 5 hours a week (or 6 if you work on a saturday. That's something like an extra 15% of your time devoted to work activity. Plus there's the extra fuel or ticket costs of the longer distance, plus mileage in your car leading to depreciation.

5K (after tax) is going to end up being about 3.5K, or around £300 a month, £75/week in your pocket. take off your extra time and fuel costs, and is the 5 hours extra travel time and fuel costs worth 75 quid a week to you? might you actually be better off with the time and lower costs than the £75 quid?

My advice would be to consider the extra money and the extra cost as one thing. Then maybe the decision might be easier for you to make.

Gentleman, I have a situation and I need major advice.....

Whatever you decide, good luck. What strikes me is the bit I've quoted.

The travel time and salary. If you're spending an extra 30 mins each way travelling for the higher paid job, that's 5 hours a week (or 6 if you work on a saturday. That's something like an extra 15% of your time devoted to work activity. Plus there's the extra fuel or ticket costs of the longer distance, plus mileage in your car leading to depreciation.

5K (after tax) is going to end up being about 3.5K, or around £300 a month, £75/week in your pocket. take off your extra time and fuel costs, and is the 5 hours extra travel time and fuel costs worth 75 quid a week to you? might you actually be better off with the time and lower costs than the £75 quid?

My advice would be to consider the extra money and the extra cost as one thing. Then maybe the decision might be easier for you to make.

Cheers Blandy.

The higher paid role is in the same town as where I work at the moment. So I am used to the costs of the travel, and I will be earning more on top of what I do at the moment. The lower paid role will involve me using my own car to travel to Dartford and Reading. (I live in oxfordshire). Meaning I will have to get travel insurance. I also drive a fiesta ST which isn't the best when it comes to fuel consumption! However, I won't be travelling all the time and the base office is 10mins from my house. It's just an account management type role which could lead to greater things than a pure internal rec role for a FTSE 100 company.

The lower paid job is 25k, the higher paid 30k, which at 26 years of age is a good amount to be on....

Grrrrrr! So hard to decide!

Edited by Tayls

Â