The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Sweet feeling handing my notice in yesterday, I was more nervous of that than the interview. My wife pointed out its been 17 years since I handed my notice in as I have been here for 10 years and made redundant from the previous job. 

• Like 4

The company (private healthcare, boo!) I work for has lost its main contract, so I've been made redundant. This is my first job since graduating from uni three years ago and I pretty much fell in to the job through a friend of a friend. It's well paid and I generally work three, long days a week but the company is so small that within six months I'd already hit the glass ceiling in the company (unless it expanded...which it didn't). I've probably got another 8 or so weeks to sort something before the contract ends so I'm okay for time. 

My main problem is this: I don't have a **** clue what to look for/do. 

I had a quick look on the job sites etc last night and I found essentially the same job elsewhere but less pay, more days. I've worked there before and within about two hours they were all saying there's no progression and it's shit. Something related to my degree isn't something I want to pursue too so that's out the window.

It's all come as a surprise really, I knew full well I was plodding along with this career path but was relatively happy to do so. Wasn't really prepared to think of what I wanted to do for the foreseeable just yet, mainly because I've never had an answer for it. 

Yesterday I was about to leave work for the day and I get a phone call from a recruitment company for a managerial role in Bilston, I told them my notice was in and accepted a job, they said this other company really likes my cv and can I do an interview tomorrow (today), so with nothing to lose I am pulling on my suit and see how this flies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Yesterday I was about to leave work for the day and I get a phone call from a recruitment company for a managerial role in Bilston, I told them my notice was in and accepted a job, they said this other company really likes my cv and can I do an interview tomorrow (today), so with nothing to lose I am pulling on my suit and see how this flies.

Good luck pal! 

• Like 1

Recently got my posting for a promotion for which I passed the interview for before Christmas. I'll go from being in a position where people come to me constantly with difficult cases for me to give advice on, whilst also doing a shit ton of my own work, to quite simply managing people. So lots of HR and the like. It's a massive shift in job role, and I'll have a lot of the confidence in my work I have suddenly stripped away. Daunting. 

Fortunately the wage rise is significant, so I'm trying to focus on that. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I start my new job in a week and a half, I started looking for a new job as I needed to be challenged more and as time went on I saw that the company I work for, a pretty despicable corporation, were moving their work to the US or Canada. Fast forward to yesterday, all called into a room, the Director was ensconced in another room on the same floor, dialed in and told us that compulsory redundancies are happening. On the one hand I am happy that I saw the wind of change blowing in, on the other, close friends are more than likely going to be out of a job.

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Fast forward to yesterday, all called into a room, the Director was ensconced in another room on the same floor, dialed in and told us that compulsory redundancies are happening.

Utterly spineless. I had something similar in my previous job. Done by email, didn't even acknowledge me for the remainder of my notice period.

When I went to shake his hand and wish him well on my last day*, he couldn't even make eye contact. 

(*which I only did to make him feel uncomfortable.)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Â