The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Someone who I play playstation with and has been unemployed for 6 months after losing a job at Aldi and barely a qualification has just walked into a position at Hitachi on more money than me. 

Meanwhile, I, who have just spent £500 on a NEBOSH health and safety course to try and change career and have been to uni and got 9 years experience in the sector I'm working in, are sat in an office doing menial work with a 60 mile commute for shit pay.

Feels good man. 

I've failed. 

Edited by lapal_fan

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Someone who I play playstation with and has been unemployed for 6 months after losing a job at Aldi and barely a qualification has just walked into a position at Hitachi on more money than me. 

Meanwhile, I, who have just spent £500 on a NEBOSH health and safety course to try and change career and have been to uni and got 9 years experience in the sector I'm working in, are sat in an office doing menial work with a 60 mile commute for shit pay.

Feels good man. 

I've failed. 

He might be bullshitting?

1 hour ago, Xela said:

He might be bullshitting?

Is he ****.

He's glowing about it and fair play to him.

I'm just underpaid and unvalued - partly on me and partly on my current company taking advantage of my situation of employing me when I had been made redundant and was in need of a job.

Let's say I know I'm paid less than the other person at my level because of a remark he made about us employing someone under us and using their potential wage as "Half my salary" which on my salary wouldn't be much at all!

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Is he ****.

I'm just underpaid and unvalued - partly on me and partly on my current company taking advantage of my situation of employing me when I had been made redundant and was in need of a job.

Let's say I know I'm paid less than the other person at my level because of a remark he made about us employing someone under us and using their potential wage as "Half my salary" which on my salary wouldn't be much at all!

Fair dos.

Companies will take the piss out of you, especially if you are the quiet type who won't ruffle feathers. You can either cause a stink or look elsewhere. I'm sure if you went for that job at Hitachi you would have got it, considering they employed your mate who had been on the dole. Get your CV up to date and start looking. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Xela said:

Fair dos.

Companies will take the piss out of you, especially if you are the quiet type who won't ruffle feathers. You can either cause a stink or look elsewhere. I'm sure if you went for that job at Hitachi you would have got it, considering they employed your mate who had been on the dole. Get your CV up to date and start looking. 

Start looking and when you get offered something use it to see if your employers will bump up your wages.

I've been considering what to ask for if I go for this job. 

I'm thinking the base salary of the next position I'd get internally as that won't be that far away. 

27 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm thinking the base salary of the next position I'd get internally as that won't be that far away. 

I’d add an extra 5% on top of that, that way if he negotiates you down, you’ll still be getting the amount you want. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

If you’re reasonably happy where you are then nothing to lose with a very “ambitious” demand.

I got called a few weeks ago from a HR lady at Dyson to be part of their car programme down near Bath. I am not interested as it’s too far and I just bought a new house, anyway she asked what I wanted and I said a crazy figure... she didn’t flinch and thought it was possible. Felt really bad then saying no thanks as she was agreeing to everything I said I’d want.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Is he ****.

Leave

• Like 2

I'm considering leaving my job.

I've done nearly 2 years here and there's not much chance of progression, at least not in Supply Chain which is where I work now. 

My experience is fine for what i'm doing (analytics), but because I have no experience of actual supply chain work like purchasing or commodity management it's difficult to move onto the next level.

So all the promises of a promotion haven't materialised despite me performing well in my role.

So I may look at a finance role if one comes up here, or else look elsewhere.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm considering leaving my job.

I've done nearly 2 years here and there's not much chance of progression, at least not in Supply Chain which is where I work now. 

My experience is fine for what i'm doing (analytics), but because I have no experience of actual supply chain work like purchasing or commodity management it's difficult to move onto the next level.

So all the promises of a promotion haven't materialised despite me performing well in my role.

So I may look at a finance role if one comes up here, or else look elsewhere.

Come to Poland ;)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Leave

I booked myself on the NEBOSH course which will let me change career, back into auditing and reporting (which I like because it gets me out of the office (I HATE OFFICES)).  So essentially in a few months I should be employable in a different role, on more money than I'm currently earning - which will be nice.  There seems like nice natural progression and a whole host of opportunities on job sites within H&S too, which is hopeful. 

I sort of fell into Energy, and whilst I have learnt a lot, the fact I don't have "engineer" in my qualifications means I'm limited to more analytic roles, which is what I'm doing now, and I **** hate Excel (I'm good enough at it, but I'd happily kill it with fire, given half the chance). 

It'll be an interesting leave interview, should I even get one lol. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's headhunting you... let him make you an offer. 

If you suggest a figure, it may be way under what he would be willing to pay for you. 

18 hours ago, Xela said:

He's headhunting you... let him make you an offer. 

If you suggest a figure, it may be way under what he would be willing to pay for you. 

Agreed. Go high. Go with something that you'd be embarrassed to suggest and suggest it anyway.

If you're worried then phrase it something like "Well a figure that would make me accept this job for certain is one billion dollars a second"

My last job the recruiter told me to ask for £X

I asked for £15k more than X and got £10k more than X

It's very unlikely that they'll say "**** off" and never consider you again. Realistic worst case is they make a counter offer and then you know where you stand

Thinking about applying for a new job at work. Completely different to what I'm doing now but after 10 years in sales and relationship management, I think I maybe need a change otherwise I will go stale. 

• Like 1

Â