The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Just now, leemond2008 said:

The bird that interviewed me was fit as **** as well, I think I scored bonus points when I asked if they had unisex toilets and if she goes balls out (see the sexism thread)

DHUTWU

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

I don't like the thought of leaving the house at 6 or 7 in the morning and being out for 12 or 13 hours 5 days a week, that'd piss me off but it isn't a deal breaker.

Welcome to real life, First 20 yrs are the worst pal :D 

Joking aside if you haven't got the money for travel ask them to put you up in a nearby hotel Mon-Thursday.

Edited by Kingman

Nice one Leemond :thumb:

I started a new job at the start of the month. Same company, sideways move, but a decent payrise as I’ve shuffled into a more corporate sector. Today I was unofficially told that they’ve calculated that the workload that we have, with a deadline of December 2019, will take 7 years to do :huh: So with that in mind, they think that they’ll need to hire another 10+ people and another Manager. I’m now really tempted to go for one of the Manager roles, if they’ll let me apply after being in the role such a short time. (My place normally say you have to be in a new role for at least 12 months before moving on).

Think i’ve cocked up with my job move, not enjoying it at all. 5 months in now, so not sure it’s going to get better. I’ve started looking elsewhere but not seen much. Don’t know how well i’m hiding it but while i’m at work I feel miserable.

A baby and planning for a wedding is a welcome distraction when I get home. To be honest if it wasn’t for the Mrs and my little girl I may well have jacked it in.

8 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Think i’ve cocked up with my job move, not enjoying it at all. 5 months in now, so not sure it’s going to get better. I’ve started looking elsewhere but not seen much. Don’t know how well i’m hiding it but while i’m at work I feel miserable.

A baby and planning for a wedding is a welcome distraction when I get home. To be honest if it wasn’t for the Mrs and my little girl I may well have jacked it in.

This is the one thing that worries me about leaving my current job, but I've been there for 15 years and I'm miserable, I may as well leave get a fresh start and take a chance on being miserable for more money

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

This is the one thing that worries me about leaving my current job, but I've been there for 15 years and I'm miserable, I may as well leave get a fresh start and take a chance on being miserable for more money

You should definitely go for it.

Mine is a combination of lots of things, different aspects of the job itself and also the way the shifts have ended up working, so not at home as much as I want to be. So a bad work/life balance on top of hating my job  just isn’t going to work out.

5 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

If you are miserable already worse case is you move from one miserable to another. If you loved it then I could understand it. But for me the probability of you being miserable or worse is a lot lower than in your current position. 

5 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Cheers mate. Have tried them as well.  I'll keep at it.  Getting desperate to move away from current role.

What line of work? (Sorry if you've already mentioned it).

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

F###ing Monday tomorrow? God I hate my job :(

That’s not good dude. Get yourself on LinkedIn if you aren’t already and approach some internal recruiters/HR people of some companies you would be interested in working for. Have some conversations with recruitment agencies as well. Might also be worth making your CV searchable on sites such as Reed so recruiters can find it based on key words when they carry out their searches. Totaljobs is another one to try. 

Not point in being unhappy in your work, you cant get to Sunday and dread the next day, not what life is about. Be proactive, get searching, make your CV searchable, have some conversations with people. 

Good luck.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tayls said:

That’s not good dude. Get yourself on LinkedIn if you aren’t already and approach some internal recruiters/HR people of some companies you would be interested in working for. Have some conversations with recruitment agencies as well. Might also be worth making your CV searchable on sites such as Reed so recruiters can find it based on key words when they carry out their searches. Totaljobs is another one to try. 

Not point in being unhappy in your work, you cant get to Sunday and dread the next day, not what life is about. Be proactive, get searching, make your CV searchable, have some conversations with people. 

Good luck.   

Cheers dude. Already on LinkedIn, and registered my cv with various sites.  Will have to update my details so at least it looks like im currently available. 

Sitting at my desk now. Bored and hating it.

A bit sooner than expected, i’ve got myself an interview this week. The role looks ideal but have a few big things I need to check, and then actually have a good interview so it’s hyperthetical at the moment, but i’m just over 5 months into a 6 month probation so technically I still only need to give a weeks notice but it would drop where I work right in the shit. I have no issue with the place or the manager but the role itself. If I get the job and they want me to start quickly, would you have a conscience and give a months notice or say sod it and leave in a week?

22 minutes ago, V01 said:

Always look after number 1 mate. 

This. 

If the shoe was on the other foot and they needed to cut costs, would they think twice about getting rid of you? Last one in first one out is usually the cheapest option. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

A bit sooner than expected, i’ve got myself an interview this week. The role looks ideal but have a few big things I need to check, and then actually have a good interview so it’s hyperthetical at the moment, but i’m just over 5 months into a 6 month probation so technically I still only need to give a weeks notice but it would drop where I work right in the shit. I have no issue with the place or the manager but the role itself. If I get the job and they want me to start quickly, would you have a conscience and give a months notice or say sod it and leave in a week?

Nope. If you’re not happy and you 100% do not want to be there because you hate the role, then leave and get yourself back on track elsewhere. 

Just out of interest, have you had a convo with your LM about the reasons as to why you are unhappy? Might be worth having anyway, just in case you find yourself sticking around there a little longer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Hell no, I'd be out of there immediately. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

They wouldn’t think twice about binning you off in a week if it was the other way round. 

**** them. 

Get out. 

• Like 1

Â