The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

Next week I'm attempting a bit of a career direction change. Most my experience is in hospitality & catering. There is a facilities manager role available where I work and I'm having a chat on Monday with one of the 2 that I think would interview me if I get that far.

It is a direction I've been looking at but not had any luck even getting an interview so far, so I'm hoping that working here already will give me a bit of help.

• Like 1

Next week I'm attempting a bit of a career direction change. Most my experience is in hospitality & catering. There is a facilities manager role available where I work and I'm having a chat on Monday with one of the 2 that I think would interview me if I get that far.

It is a direction I've been looking at but not had any luck even getting an interview so far, so I'm hoping that working here already will give me a bit of help.

Go for it chap! Always good to have these sorts of conversations with the people higher up the chain. Shows willing, shows you are keen to progress and will make them think of you as soon as an opportunity arises.

Good luck

Go for it chap! Always good to have these sorts of conversations with the people higher up the chain. Shows willing, shows you are keen to progress and will make them think of you as soon as an opportunity arises.

Good luck

My experience is in hospitality and catering and my new role very much a supporting role to that industry. I found it hard to change and you have to keep plugging.

I think the skills involved are very underrated and very very transferable. Some seem to think it is just servingeople or cooking where in fact there is a hell of lot of planning, reporting and budgeting that goes into it if you are at the right level. As well as adding In The ability to build a team that works hard for you and will move heaven and earth (and weekends) to get the job done for you. People under appreciate these skills if they do recognise them.

Facilities or operational mangement is often a natural step and something you will be good at if you continue with the same work ethic. Should help that you already work there as you already know about the operation and often relationships are key to employment, make sure your ready for some probing questions on the spot if you approach, already have an idea of your plan if you were to get the role. That first impression will count even in a informal chat.

Good luck.

My goal for 2015 is to get to 30k. I was hoping to be earning the same as my age, I never wanted to go below that, but... I'm 26 now and I'm on 25k. Grrrr. With my current role which I only started last month there is potential to go further, which was what I needed. However, I'm one of those guys that thinks I could only ever earn the really big bucks if I went to Uni. I just don't understand how people do so well when they haven't been, it's incredible.

What's people thoughts on uni - did you go ?

I didn't go to Uni myself, started as trainee in IT around 1998 but by that time I was building up computers etc since Windows 95 came out and then Windows 98 and gained my Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and other IT qualifications from 2000.

Don't think Uni is the be all of everything is my personal view, I have been IT Contracting the last 3 years (Left a perm job to go long term IT contracting) and earning a good rate of pay.

I wouldn't listen to what the guy says who said you only can earn big bucks if you went to Uni.

No uni for me either and barely any GCSE's! Started as an office junior in my first job earning £6k a year in 1997! Bounced around a few jobs until joined my current employers in 2002. Got where I am today by nothing but hard work and working my way up the corporate ladder into my current role. I don't think Uni would have helped me at all. 

• Like 1

My goal for 2015 is to get to 30k. I was hoping to be earning the same as my age, I never wanted to go below that, but... I'm 26 now and I'm on 25k. Grrrr. With my current role which I only started last month there is potential to go further, which was what I needed. However, I'm one of those guys that thinks I could only ever earn the really big bucks if I went to Uni. I just don't understand how people do so well when they haven't been, it's incredible.

What's people thoughts on uni - did you go ?

I didn't go to Uni myself, started as trainee in IT around 1998 but by that time I was building up computers etc since Windows 95 came out and then Windows 98 and gained my Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and other IT qualifications from 2000.

Don't think Uni is the be all of everything is my personal view, I have been IT Contracting the last 3 years (Left a perm job to go long term IT contracting) and earning a good rate of pay.

I wouldn't listen to what the guy says who said you only can earn big bucks if you went to Uni.

No uni for me either and barely any GCSE's! Started as an office junior in my first job earning £6k a year in 1997! Bounced around a few jobs until joined my current employers in 2002. Got where I am today by nothing but hard work and working my way up the corporate ladder into my current role. I don't think Uni would have helped me at all. 

No full time Uni for me, did a degree about 4 years ago in my spare time whilst working, because I had one Client that would only pay top rate for my work if I was 'qualified'.

So I qualified, BSc (Hons) and charged top rate for exactly the same work they were getting before, by the same person they were getting it from.

Left school with 'o' level english language and 'o' level art, both C grades. 

I didn't particularly enjoy school. 

• Like 1

He's an absolute talentless bellend with the mental capacity of a turnip, and that's being somewhat unfair to turnips.

It angers me when people like him get an easy ride through life.

Exactly.

His most valuable talent is that he is 'harmless'.

He is a male version on Jade Goody, TV throwing money at them to look stupid without them (seemingly) having the awareness to realise they were having the piss taken out of them.

• Like 1

Had a really good chat with a prospective new manager today.  He values my experience of being on secondment and wants to "poach" me to join his team for a post at a higher grade and a proper promotion once I've proved myself working at that level (so take that as a year).  He said he's going to do all he can to ensure that the move happens but my current managers and the potential new ones now need to agree on a "managed move".  All very promising - I now need to hope that my old bosses don't throw a spanner in the works and insist that I return to them.

• Like 2

My chat went well today, I got a good insight into the role I'm interested in and he gave me some "I can't give you any advantage in your application but ......." Which is a good sign I came across ok and got some good tips.

Just the application and interview to go now and it's certainly going to be a challenging start if I am successful, that's without the fact it'll be a completely new role for me.

• Like 1

Good luck tomorrow Stevo :thumb:

meeting went fine but I'm Not holding my breath.

Wouldn't tell me the club but they've had over 50 CVs submitted for this job.

So much for claiming he headhunted me. What he did was emailed it to every finance person he could find on his LinkedIn.

You never know, but I'd be surprised if I make the shortlist.

Edited by Stevo985

Â