New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

10 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Exactly the problem we had around the time of the Lerner rebrand. "Wow AVFC is a really strong rhyming acronym, great branding opportunity", not at all thinking how iconic the name ASTON VILLA already is. They also heard lion and star and just plonked them wherever - irrespective of how lame and useless the lion looked, and how the star was just floating pointlessly in the top left.

All the latest version did was fix the lion and make the rest sharper, it's inherited all the issues mentioned above, so whatever we go with next, it needs to be smarter and have more say from the fans.

I think "more say from the fans" can be a double edged sword and probably was a factor is the clumsy resulting badge.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

I would like the full Aston Villa name on the badge.

None of the uninspiring AVFC.

We have a unique marketable name, let's use it.

Also a fierce aggressive lion.

Apart from those two requirements, not bothered.

I think they are going this way anyway, the questions Inthe survey asked about 'AVFC' a couple times, there was nothing on other options I think that'll be used as a stat in the final deck to say they followed the fans saying they didn't want it.

No other 'Aston Villa' 'Aston Villa FC' 'Aston Villa Football Club' options to choose from leaving it up to the club without frustrating fans

• Like 1

In order to be truly unique and innovators in badge design, I reckon we should be the first club to have a gif badge, or some sort of animation on our shirts. That will be true innovation right there! An actual roaring lion. Or when we are playing badly, a kitten playing with a ball of yarn. 

Edited by Tayls

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

One thing I can say is that I echo the sentiment (if not necessarily the style analogies!) of @OutByEaster? post - we are a unique and special club and we ought to look like one.  We weren't "a version of" when we were founded and we shouldn't be now.

Ta very much, I'm good with sentiment, I just lack any kind of aesthetic sense whatsoever. 

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Is sticking with Claret and Blue absolutely essential? (Not just the badge - I mean for everything). 

This is something I've argued many a time myself.

Some people are very tied to it.

I've always said I'd love to just go Claret and Gold etc.

More Roma, and less West Ham, BURNLEY, Scunthorpe etc 

People will then say " they copied us " but thats not the point.

Even the insistence for kits to purely be " Claret body and Blue sleeves " negates us then people also wonder why the designs are usually " meh "

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Even the insistence for kits to purely be " Claret body and Blue sleeves " negates us then people also wonder why the designs are usually " meh "

I always come back to it as well. There is nothing to fear about Claret and Blue as a combination of colours in my eyes. I’m not saying I want us to go all red or all blue, because then we will be like many of the others in this league. Go crazy, all black? (Personally i would love this). 

Edited by Tayls

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I could deal with no blue sleeves, and a claret only top, with blue socks for the home kit, it would look super nice and minimal with just gold trim on the shirt - I think you’d kill off any fan over the age of 65 though with the heart attacks in would induce.

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

455417-AA-82-D0-413-E-A27-F-411300-B0289

0-C860158-36-E6-4311-BF39-E7-E6-EBCF4234

8-ECACDB3-01-A8-4-CCF-B574-0-EA7428-DC5-

by far the hardest part here is making the colours look good/right. I can totally understand why the current badge designers went with the yellow  on blue, when looked at in the context of on the kit. 

My personal preference would be to do away with any kind of shield element entirely a la Spurs, Forest and just have the lion (preferably as per this image but not completely against it changing), the star, and the name in some form. Thought getting the name in full would be tricky but think Spurs managed it ok with a much longer one. Then the colour of the lion on the shirt just depends on colour surrounding it, which doesn't neccessarily have to be how it is presented elsewhere, much like Forest is presented off shirt as red but on the home shirt is white obviously due to shirt being red.

Would a two-tone claret and blue version of this lion work at all? I suspect not but maybe hard to say without seeing it.

6 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

My personal preference would be to do away with any kind of shield element entirely a la Spurs, Forest and just have the lion (preferably as per this image but not completely against it changing), the star, and the name in some form. Thought getting the name in full would be tricky but think Spurs managed it ok with a much longer one. Then the colour of the lion on the shirt just depends on colour surrounding it, which doesn't neccessarily have to be how it is presented elsewhere, much like Forest is presented off shirt as red but on the home shirt is white obviously due to shirt being red.

Would a two-tone claret and blue version of this lion work at all? I suspect not but maybe hard to say without seeing it.

Me too - a lot of what I’ve put in here is trying to satisfy the masses 😁

On your last one - to put it bluntly, no. It looks horrible haha. it would need to be close in tone as it’s a ‘relief’ effect like it’s been carved into wood, so like a subtle shadow. I do think it could be done if they re-did the lion completely though, and had less intricate detail in the opposite colour. 

The one I like the most of mine is the gold foil one I put on fake fabric, but it’s the biggest divergence from what we know as a Villa badge. I think the lion should be re-done to reflect more the old traditional rampant but with modern sharp lines and curves in the detail you get from a top illustrator, then you can make it better fit a shield WHEN it needs it, and make it nice enough to stand alone without.

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

On your last one - to put it bluntly, no. It looks horrible haha. it would need to be close in tone as it’s a ‘relief’ effect like it’s been carved into wood, so like a subtle shadow. I do think it could be done if they re-did the lion completely though, and had less intricate detail in the opposite colour.

Lol yep just had a very rough go in Paint and absolutely does not work.

Figured would probably need a redesign to do this. Actually had in mind but was misremembering the Lille crest which was one which came up in the survey, but that is a two-tone red and blue surround of a wolf which is in white, rather than the wolf itself being two-tone.

Lille OSC - Wikipedia

• Like 3

I’m actually not against dropping claret and blue. Does feel a bit overdone. Not entirely but the claret body blue sleeves is just not exciting and also doesn’t scream success. I think Roy Keane once said Sunderland would never be successful because their kit is horrible and I do see some element of truth in that!

Here's my PowerPoint-created input and some variations whilst pissing about.

I prefer a shield over a circle.

Think we have to use a lion and full name

Wanted to try and be a bit clever and use an 'A' and a 'V' to create a shield. 

Naturally, the shield-less version is probably my favourite 🤦

The font for 'Aston Villa' was tricky, this was the closest I could find to the gates at VP.

VILLA BADGES.PNG

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m actually not against dropping claret and blue. Does feel a bit overdone. Not entirely but the claret body blue sleeves is just not exciting and also doesn’t scream success. I think Roy Keane once said Sunderland would never be successful because their kit is horrible and I do see some element of truth in that!

Is this satire?

54 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Just the lion and Aston Villa might be good, colour changed as required to suit the shirt colour.

Simple and effective?

I'd be ok with something like that too.

I mentioned earlier, than in the redevelopment mockups, they actually have a monogram style lion in gold on all of them.

Not the regular badge.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, a m ole said:

455417-AA-82-D0-413-E-A27-F-411300-B0289

0-C860158-36-E6-4311-BF39-E7-E6-EBCF4234

8-ECACDB3-01-A8-4-CCF-B574-0-EA7428-DC5-

by far the hardest part here is making the colours look good/right. I can totally understand why the current badge designers went with the yellow  on blue, when looked at in the context of on the kit. 

Love the middle one.

Other two very good.

• Thanks 1